Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:09 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,586,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully4kate View Post
Hi, Quilter-Chick, wish that I were ambi-dextrous, as you are, but to my post: don't want to go anywhere more south, this is it for me. Would rather live in the mountains, seeing them is great, but living in them? Perfect.

What are you talking about ? ambi-dextrous? All the places I posted, Black Mountain, Burnsville, Brevard, Linville, etc. are in the mountains near Asheville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:24 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,548,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully4kate View Post
Hi, nice women, just realized that I'm using "Boone" as a catch-all term, when I really mean, maybe? the surrounding areas as well? Just saw a house for rent in Banner Elk - I basically just need to be able to be close to grocery stores, not just Ingles, but EF as well; near a library branch, that would be great; and a safe, quiet neighborhood.

kate
We live just outside Banner Elk. There's a Food Lion and Lowe's Foods near us. EF and Harris Teater are in Boone, 11-12 miles away. I use the Avery Co Library branch in Newland (no public library in Banner Elk) but it's pretty limited. I also use the Watauga Co Library for books that Avery doesn't have. Like I said in my other post, Watauga is part of a statewide consortium of libraries and getting books from the other branches doesn't usually take very long. Reserving books online is really easy.

Lees-McRae College is in Banner Elk but it's pretty small and there really aren't any student neighborhoods like in Boone. I can't think of any particular areas or neighborhoods in Banner Elk that are known for being unsafe.

The Mountain Times that I linked in my other post isn't an "indie" paper, but has the best classifieds for the area.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:19 PM

8 posts, read 14,580 times
Default a bit more help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Having lived in both places the answer is no they are not much alike.
Come on, can't you be a bit more forthcoming and give some real feedback? Or are you trying to make out of state folks think the folks in WNC are cranks?

Old 08-20-2014, 10:48 AM

83 posts, read 115,020 times
What's the lowest the temperature will dip? And how often does it snow

Old 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,333,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGGood View Post
Come on, can't you be a bit more forthcoming and give some real feedback? Or are you trying to make out of state folks think the folks in WNC are cranks?
No they are not alike. and we mountain people are often curmudgeonly and inpatient with show me the world type questions. If you have a specific question, then ask it and people can answer that much better.

The area contains mountains and rivers that are said to be the oldest in the world. It has an ecosystem that may predate the last ice age. Numerous flora and fauna that are found only there or are in common with locations outside of the US. The MT Mitchell weather station records climate more extreme than Mt Washington, well known for its cold and winds. State and Federal parks and forests cover the mountain area. The Appalachians have an old soul.

Asheville/Boone/Hickory are all different but I don't see how they are like Northern California. If the OP had a specific question that was important to them, that question might show a similarity after all people are just people wherever they may be.

Go to internet and look up whatever interests you OP, then see if it is in the Mountain Region. It make be. Also look up the towns you mentioned in citydata.com and see what that can tell you as to what you like.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,515,940 times
DGGOOD I was not trying to portray WNC people as cranks they are mostly friendly nice folks. In my experience cranks are few and far between. You asked if they were alike I said no. Climate is different, cultural backgrounds different and more emphasis on religion in WNC. Similar would be the beauty of both areas and many people who gravitate to outdoor pursuits. In both places dynamics change based on proximity to larger urban areas. How close to SF and outer suburban ring are you? North of Sonoma area population density start to change as I recall but maybe grown out that far. You get very far north and it is very isolated even more than this area. But Red Bluff is north as is Humbolt County very different places. But I remember driving across Trinity Alps area and thinking OMG bigfoot could live here with no one knowing.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,586,913 times
OP Quote, post #1: "|Hi all. I have a general question to some people maybe who have been to both or lived in both, but I currently am in Northern California, don't really have interest to moving to Asheville area but maybe nearby East TN in the future depending on what happens in my life. I may have to return to FL to get back in that region of the USA first then it may be a project I might consider when I am a little more well off maybe. A family situation brought me here, wouldn't have handpicked this place otherwise and it was a 50/50 chance when I first came that I'd like or dislike it.. its leaning towards the latter more as months pass by."

Sorry, not understanding why you are on a WesternNC forum when you are more interested in eastern TN, or FL ... in the distant future evidently, and you are now in San Jose CA. Why not just take a few vacations, visit the mountains of eastern TN, NC, and spend some time in FL. That would give you a very good prospective for weather, demographics, and so forth. Santa Clara County is much more high dollar COL than eastern TN or western NC.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:27 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,861,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Quote:
...some Yankees are closet Southerners
No you're actually very right about that. Even in my home state, there were some especially amongst the older demographics. More had beards and were in the biker crowds, some people had confederate flags too and this was in MA but they were in the deeper Boston suburbs headed toward NH. The towns typically were the butt of all jokes in the urban radio too.. they ragged on immediate city area towns though too, they just said how women were skanks and most were more likely to have 3 lovers by the name of Antonio or something. The brutal honesty is a lot more but then again I've noticed southerners can be brutally honest once they let their more polite flag down or if something pisses them off, you'll get a cuss rant just as bad it seems especially when it comes to sports.

You're right again though, I Feel that some people even in the NE want to be like southerners at times.. I've seen confederate flags, even there so..
Wow, you have just reinforced the very stereotype of Southerners you claim not to believe. When the previous person said "Some Yankees are closet Southerners", what made you think he (?) meant "rednecks"?

Southern =/= Redneck, but since those words seem to be synonyms for you based on the aqbove post, I don't think you'll do well here.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:12 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,333,414 times
Have to agree with Francois the poster is talking about ill mannered people and if that is poster's perception of southerners, poster is mistaken. therefore bound to be disappointed.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,623,904 times
I'm not sure why he posted in the city-data either - sort of an attitude of: confirm for me that I don't want to live in NC.

He posted in the Knoxville thread and displayed blatant bigotry and support of segregation the thread got closed. Needless to say we did not welcome him with open arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina