Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,512,713 times

Advertisements

This has been an interesting 2 weeks, so far have seen: large black snake, 2 bears on the deck, copperhead by the back door , rattlesnake along driveway , coyote by rocks near the meadow, not to mention turkeys digging in garden and squirrels in my planter. Have I missed an animal? The two poisionous snakes so close only real concern but seems its been unusually busy these days. Ready to say enough of the Wild Kingdom for awhile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 08:30 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times
Sounds like summer in western NC to me! How are the mosquitos and ticks? Any poison ivy to go along with all that as a side dish?

Old 06-14-2014, 08:36 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,298,028 times
Yikes!

Old 06-14-2014, 10:25 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,620,372 times
Standard but interesting critters, here in the mtns!
The snakes won't stay unless there is decent food source, so they must be taking care of mice, voles, maybe some birds, et al. Birds not so good, but it's nature at work.

I have seen a smaller and large bear a few times on my morning hump up to the peak here; a neighbor a par 5 up the mtn sees 'her bear' daily. It can stay there, lol!

We have several 'bear paths' through our steep 3 acre yard: they stop and munch off green stuff at about waist level. The 'Yotes have been very active at night, too, as have the owls.

Very good assortment you have: we need some pics!
GL, mD

Old 06-14-2014, 12:03 PM

729 posts, read 1,506,592 times
Twice this week we have found black snakes on our porch. One of them was on the arm rest of the wicker couch. I walked out in the dark and sat down, placing my hand on top of him. Feeling something slither away in the dark does not make for sweet dreams that night!

Old 06-14-2014, 01:47 PM

Black rat snake or black racer: both very good creatures around one's house, imo.

If there are vermin to pick off, they will...if not, they will depart for greener pastures.

Racer is slightly more aggressive in my experience. Neither will really hurt a human.
GL, mD

Old 06-14-2014, 02:05 PM

I actually like black snakes, don't mind them at all. Our neighbors have a big one they named Lester. We've seen him soaking up rays in their yard on cool mornings. But will say I did jump when I saw the copperhead. More concerned about getting dogs back in the door so nobodies nose would get bitten. Yeah typical summer critters around this neck of the woods but rarely have we seen poisonous snakes so close to the house and in such a short space of time! Good thing my Mom is no longer here or she would never come again. She was afraid to set foot off the deck!

Old 06-14-2014, 02:14 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,474,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
Twice this week we have found black snakes on our porch. One of them was on the arm rest of the wicker couch. I walked out in the dark and sat down, placing my hand on top of him. Feeling something slither away in the dark does not make for sweet dreams that night!
That is what makes up my nightmares! YIKES!

Old 06-14-2014, 02:18 PM

tsmw, my guess is the very rainy weather drives them from 'up and under' to slightly drier areas, eg around someone's home. Or pursuing vermin, which every house here in the Mtns has some of...
Just a guess.

Copperheads are rare around our joint, though my stacked wood pile occasionally harbors one. Timber rattlers rare here too. We had more TRs back in NY than I have seen here, lol!

Tell Mom to carry when she wanders away for a walk.
GL, mD

Old 06-14-2014, 05:58 PM

She was a good shot in her day We don't carry but I do watch where I put my feet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina