Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:41 AM

1,683 posts, read 814,010 times

Advertisements

Is this a good area for people to retire to who are tired of wall to wall people and traffic in the big city, ugly humid weather, etc.?

It's not like the "Deliverance" movie area is it? Also, how do the skiers behave when they show up in the winter? It doesn't turn into a major drunk-fest, does it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 09:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,543,889 times
I think you probably should visit any area you are considering for a permanent move.

Your concerns are so far off base . . . and the things you SHOULD be concerned about (i.e., transportation in winter, medical care, cost of living, taxes) you are not questioning . . . which tells me you need to do a LOT more research before even tentatively deciding this is an area for you to retire.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
I think you probably should visit any area you are considering for a permanent move.

Your concerns are so far off base . . . and the things you SHOULD be concerned about (i.e., transportation in winter, medical care, cost of living, taxes) you are not questioning . . . which tells me you need to do a LOT more research before even tentatively deciding this is an area for you to retire.
In that case... how is the transportation in winter, medical care, cost of living, taxes,etc.?

I take it, the answer re: the influx of winter sports enthusiasts is relatively tame?

Old 07-15-2015, 10:37 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,324,534 times
not that easy.

schedule a visit in the winter and see how tame you think it is.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:26 AM

I probably will visit. But in the meanwhile...

The floor is all yours... tell me (and the world) as much as you can in your opinion about the area. Everything is fair game.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:42 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,624,289 times
^ A few questions that might elicit better responses to your questions:
-Retired or working? If still working, working from home vs will be looking for employment in Banner/Beech?
-Interests?
-Family, spouse, partner, kids, solo?
-Coming from?
-Health good, or needing close by and frequent attention?
-With 'Western NC' being a large geo area, with dozens of towns, (most of which have very little "wall to wall people and traffic", why did you select Beech/Banner area to investigate?
GL, mD

Old 07-15-2015, 02:14 PM

Without boring you folks with my life story, is there anybody willing to give their view on the good and/or not for that area? More than what I can read on viewtrip.com?

I'm leaving the slate totally open. Do anybody have an opinion of that area. Anything at all. Not just re: me, but in general for any person from anywhere. Have at it. No need to sugar-coat it. Tell it like it is.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:07 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,389,463 times
Its a small, isolated place (population 1,000) with great natural beauty. It does have a small college, so there is some degree of cultural activities, but for the most part, you'll have to drive to Boone (30 minutes or so) for things like the hospital, shopping for anything more than basics, movies, etc. That area gets a lot of snow (for North Carolina) so you have to prepare for that.

Lots of tourists in the summer, fall and winter.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 07-15-2015 at 04:36 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 03:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,227,585 times
It's beautiful. I live in the county but not in the town of BE. Friendly people, great restaurants, wineries and outdoor adventure.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:53 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,539,065 times
We live at the foot of Grandfather Mtn, 6.5 mi from the center of downtown Banner Elk. We are avid skiers, but are homebodies when it comes to "nightlife." And since we ski at Sugar, we rarely go up on Beech Mtn. Having said that, I have never had the impression that things get especially rowdy during ski season. And the area, in general, certainly does not have a "Deliverance" type atmosphere, though you can get into really remote areas pretty quickly.

You didn't ask about healthcare, but since others mentioned it.... besides a good offering of doctors and hospital in Boone, there are also closer options with Cannon Hospital in Linville, only 9.5 mi from downtown Banner Elk. It's quite small (25 bed acute care rating) but there are several general medical practices, dentists, veterinarians, chiropractors, etc. in Avery County, without requiring trips to Boone. The local YMCA is located in the same building complex as Cannon Hospital and is a real treasure for a really small county.

For daily necessities, we have several grocery stores, drug stores, and Lowe's Home Improvement all at our fingertips in Banner Elk.... not to mention all sorts of locally owned businesses. I make a trip to WalMart in Boone once or twice a month to stock up on basics.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live full-time on Beech Mtn, although quite a few folks do. You have to drive a lot to get anywhere. I would get tired of driving Beech Mtn Pkwy every day.

Because the winters are more extreme (relatively speaking) than the rest of WNC, there are a lot of retirees who reside in the area in the warmer months only. It all depends on your tolerance for cold weather.

We love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina