Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:56 PM

249 posts, read 875,671 times

Advertisements

We are trying to plan a long weekend in the mountains for some snow/winter activities. We are hoping we can find something like a cabin/lodge rather than a hotel since we have two kids, the youngest being 2 years old.

Personally, I love camping but the wife requires something with at least 4 walls and running water, tv etc. Any advice/recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 01:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
We are trying to plan a long weekend in the mountains for some snow/winter activities. We are hoping we can find something like a cabin/lodge rather than a hotel since we have two kids, the youngest being 2 years old.

Personally, I love camping but the wife requires something with at least 4 walls and running water, tv etc. Any advice/recommendations?
Man, you are talking my kind of language

Where exactly in the "mountains" are you interested in going? And what do you expect or require to be nearby (if anything)? For instance, are you willing to cook your own meals, or do you have to go out to a restaurant?

Old 01-17-2008, 01:57 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,440,977 times
This is further out about 4 hours from Charlotte, but I have heard good reviews:

Western North Carolina Vacation House Rentals - Rates - Cabin for rent near Nantahala White Water Rafting - Nantahala N.C. Swain County.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:00 PM

422 posts, read 1,367,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Where exactly in the "mountains" are you interested in going? And what do you expect or require to be nearby (if anything)? For instance, are you willing to cook your own meals, or do you have to go out to a restaurant?
Loves, how did I know you were going to jump on this question!

Old 01-17-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
Loves, how did I know you were going to jump on this question!
hee hee - I am so in love with being in the mountains Day dreaming of it right now as a matter of fact!

Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 PM

249 posts, read 875,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

We would be fine with doing our own cooking, would probably prefer it actually. We would be looking to do whatever snow type activities we could find... snow boarding/tubing etc. So we definitely need somethings to entertain the kids in that way while at the same time getting away from the city and enjoying mother nature.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:06 PM

How about these? You could take the kids for a ride on the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad if you stay in this area, which is so neat.

Mountain Bear Cabins

I do have to say, the Bear Necessities cabin is one I have had on my list of places to go for a while - that whole area is so beautiful. I almost forgot until I just looked at the website again, there is the Cataloochee Ski Area supposedly nearby - so maybe you would want to see what kind of tubing or snow boarding they offer?

Old 01-17-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
We would be fine with doing our own cooking, would probably prefer it actually. We would be looking to do whatever snow type activities we could find... snow boarding/tubing etc. So we definitely need somethings to entertain the kids in that way while at the same time getting away from the city and enjoying mother nature.
In that case, with snow as a requirement, I would suggest Banner Elk. It is a great little mountain community with easy access to Beech Mountain. There is even a great little pizza place in town you could take the kids to one night. There are many vacation rental homes in that area. Google Banner Elk rentals and you'll find quite a few choices. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2008, 02:49 PM

616 posts, read 1,753,049 times
Quick link to Cataloochee ... Cataloochee Resort Reviews - Snow Conditions, Restaurant, Nightlife, Lodging, Resort Reviews - OnTheSnow.com

You may also be interested in staying in Macon County, around Franklin, probably north of Franklin in the Cowee or Burningtown area. Inexpensive, access to lots of fun stuff, and just about deserted in the winter. Try Franklin, NC; Mountain Treasures. Simple Pleasures for info. I am from there, it takes me 3.5 hours to drive there from Uptown Charlotte.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:49 PM

201 posts, read 671,033 times
Default Here's another suggestion...

Hi!

I have not stayed here, but they have gotten great reviews (at least on some popular travel websites) and are in Asheville.

Asheville North Carolina Cabin Rentals

They seemed to have some neat things for kids, such as the game room.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina