Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:12 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times

Advertisements

We have stayed in a riverfront cabin at Springmaid Mountain which is located in Spruce Pine NC. Springmaid

My favorite place in the mountains is Maggie Valley. Maggie Valley And you have Cataloochee right there too. Catalooche We have stayed in motels and cabins at Maggie Valley.

Our son has rented cabins in the mountains from this website.VRBO (http://www.vrbo.com/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM

228 posts, read 910,913 times
I would look into the Banner Elk/Sugar Mountain area. I was there recently and really enjoyed it. It is only two and a half hours away and has what you seem to be looking for. Skiing/snowboarding/ice skating. There were definitely more then a few rentals in that area. I actually saw a billboard for ...headwaters I think it was. I'm not sure, but it is definitely an area to look in to

Old 01-17-2008, 08:19 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,764 times
My favorite cabins are at Roan Mountain State Park right on the NC -TN border. The cabins are wonderful - some have one bedroom downstairs with a loft for the kids and the larger ones have two bedrooms downstairs with a loft. They are furnished really comfortably with nice bathrooms and kitchens. Very clean. Front porches. They cost about $125.00 a night. They are in TN, BTW. The drive is short - 2-3 hours.

Roan Mountain
State Park

1015 Hwy 143
Roan Mountain , TN 37687
423-772-0190
1-800-250-8620

Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM

249 posts, read 875,188 times
Wow, that is a lot of great info! I think we have narrowed it down to the Banner Elk/Sugar Mountain area as many of you have suggested. There seem to be quite a few really nice looking cabins for rent in that area.

Thanks for all of the input. Any additional kid friendly recommendations on things to do in that area besides the obvious?

Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 PM

28 posts, read 82,821 times
The wife and I rent at least a cabin a year and we do so almost exclusively from romantic-cabins.com. Good rates and nice cabins. We really like the one called a mountain memory,

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
We are trying to plan a long weekend in the mountains for some snow/winter activities. We are hoping we can find something like a cabin/lodge rather than a hotel since we have two kids, the youngest being 2 years old.

Personally, I love camping but the wife requires something with at least 4 walls and running water, tv etc. Any advice/recommendations?

Old 05-31-2009, 05:44 AM

616 posts, read 1,751,907 times
Try Sit a Spell Cabin north of Franklin, NC.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:36 AM

13 posts, read 35,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
We are trying to plan a long weekend in the mountains for some snow/winter activities. We are hoping we can find something like a cabin/lodge rather than a hotel since we have two kids, the youngest being 2 years old.

Personally, I love camping but the wife requires something with at least 4 walls and running water, tv etc. Any advice/recommendations?

"Mountain Bear Cabins" are awesome! Tell Bob his Florida Neighbor in Orange City said Hi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina