Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:24 PM

5 posts, read 8,617 times

Advertisements

We are retirees living in Burlington Vermont seriously considering a move to western North Carolina for lower cost of living, warmer weather and tax relief...and the area is beautiful and a bit like VT. It is a big decision for long term residents to contemplate a move from a home with Lake Champlain views and proximity to small city amenities including a university.

We are looking at communities roughly from Hendersonville to Weaverville, maybe Brevard. Want to stay within 20 -30 miinutes from a hospital, broad mountain views and no higher than 3000 feet altitude.

Wondering if any one on this forum moved to WNC from the Burlington area and how satisfied they are with their move? What are the bigest differences between BTV and this area? Also, what did you do that you are really glad you did to inform your decision and prepare for your move? What do you wish you had done, but did not do prior to your move? Anything you wished someone had told you? Are we looking in the right places?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 06:30 AM

644 posts, read 678,365 times
Our realtors are from either northern VT or NH - I can never remember - that's a cardinal sin to lump the 2 together, I know - sorry!! Part of their story is they had friends that moved here and they visited frequently then made the decision to move. I think it's against policy for me to give their contact info here but you can message me for that if you'd like to ask them questions directly - they are lovely people and not the least bit pushy or we would have never stuck with them.

Edited to add - did a quick check with our realtors and they lived in and had a construction business in Lancaster, NH, about 85 miles from Burlington on the VT/NH border - and of course they'd be happy to hear from you. Let me know if you'd like their contact info.

Last edited by DLM2000; 05-04-2015 at 07:16 AM..

Old 05-04-2015, 10:59 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,437,075 times
Got no VT connections, but just wondering why you don't want to be higher than 3000 ft? Are you worried about snow? It's much, much cooler in the summer above 3000 ft and I'd be worried that being from Vermont you might roast otherwise.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:23 AM

Default Altitude aand weather

The 3000 ft notion is related to information we heard regarding the snow line. We don't mind some snow, just want to have a view and hopefully minimize snow and ice removal and resulting challenges traveling up and down the mountains to take care of daily needs.

What has been the experience of others regarding winter travel in the mountains? Is it about altitude or some other factor?
I imagine like most things in life...it is a trade-off.

Thanks for any help!

Old 05-04-2015, 11:49 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,672,307 times
In my experience, 3500+ feet gets one 'above' most of the potentially very warm summer days, yet that 3500+ feet doesn't usually include many days of being unable to 'get down the mtn'.

Much depends upon the basic road(s) condition to get to the main road(s), as in are they paved/black top vs gravel, the roads' winter sun angle, (north facing roads often retain snow/ice longer), micro climes, etc.

There are views at lower elevation; we simply prefer the views at higher elevation, though our ~5,000 ft is not for the usual home seeker.

There are dozens of wonderful communities 'around' Asheville area, in a 30-40 mile radius.

Winters, even at 3,500+ ft are not as long or severe as winter days I've experience in northern VT/NH, et al, and at a sweet spot of ~3,500 to under 4,000 ft, yes there is winter, but it does not tend to compare to northern New England.

If one has to commute daily, or do a daily doc run, or must get out daily, then look at 3,500 to 3,000 ft max, but everyone has their own needs...

I've ridden through Burlington in summer in 90+ degrees; 90+ in most areas of western NC is quite rare, as I suspect those scorcher days in northern VT were also. Generalizations are difficult, and all anecdotal.

Mtns here are beautiful and almost all 'looks' & areas have some mountain views to some degree. Autumn is not as colorful, as NE.

Houses, esp with some land/room, is not inexpensive however.

A cursory glance at VT's income tax rates show it to be potentially more than NC, but NC is not necessarily a tax haven by any stretch. No idea on RE taxes NC vs VT.

The NC Estate Tax is basically the Fed ET guidelines, so for 99% of us, we won't be trickling into an estate tax situ.

Some looking on GOOG, Realtor.com and some driving around western NC trips are in order to at least include or exclude western NC from your list of possible moves, imo.
Radius Around a Point on a Map

GL, mD

View from our deck, last Autumn...5,000 ft elevation, looking down on Waynesville.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:48 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,437,075 times
If you get above 3000ft the majority of your summer days will have highs in the mid 70s. If you're much lower than 3000, like Asheville proper, you'll have an average high of mid 80s.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:58 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,543,732 times
I use to live in Southern Vt. I don't live in Western NC (yet) but spend a good deal of time there, spring, summer, and sometimes fall.

I love both places but Vermont is IMO especially beautiful. The Green Mountain State is aptly named. I don't think WNC even in the temperate rain forest of Brevard, gets those lush green hues that Vt. does.

But the biggest difference I think you will see (whether it matters to you or not) is the mindset and political leanings of WNC vs VT. As I am sure you know Vt. leans just about as far left as one can go. And WNC is much more conservative. Of course there are liberal pockets here and there (a big one in Asheville). But you get the picture.
I really don't believe you can go wrong moving to WNC because it is beautiful, the climate is much easier to take and much less snow.
Some people who live in WNC and have never lived in Vt. think they get "a lot of snow." But you, being a Vermonter would call it mostly a dusting!
Also, I am not sure about the populations but I'll bet Asheville will easily become your new Burlington. It does have an airport and some of the city offerings you might want.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:29 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,891,585 times
for sure I did not move from Delaware for the politics

it scares me at times to leave my Asheville bubble ....

Old 05-06-2015, 10:16 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,557,839 times
I lived in Upstate NY and Boston and at 3K feet in Flat Rock, so I feel I can answer your concerns.

If you live north of highway 40 you will have more snow. Rain in Hendersonville, snow in Asheville or nothing in Hendersonville, snow N of 40. Having said that, Winter is a joke compared to where you live. No snow cover, you can wash your car outside in December and Spring comes so early, you will have mowed your grass 4+ times by May 1, when it could be 80+ degrees.

Hendersonville/Flat Rock is 25 miles from Asheville and 35 miles from Greenville,SC. There are more grocery stores in Hendersonville than I have ever seen in a town that size. Taxes are lower in Henderson county than Buncombe, and property prices are cheaper. A friend of mine bought a condo downtown in March for $199K that was priced above $400K when built. Not so in Asheville.

Even as far South as Flat Rock at 3000 ft. You will not see 90F on any Summer day.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:42 PM

Thank you all for your comments!
We are visiting in a week to see what July is like and scout out towns from Weaverville to Hendersonville and Waynesville to Lake James.
Thanks for all the info..taxes and cost of living are high in Vt, real estate taxes are noticeably lower in NC as is the cost of living in areas outside of Asheville.
We love VT and our small neighborhood in Burlington but are tired of cold winters and apprehensive about ever increasing taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina