Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:38 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times

Advertisements

Maybe give it a rest, move to your dream spot, enjoy it and realize that some places are for some, and other places for others, regardless of where they grew up/came from/do/are, etc.

Everyone has to be somewhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 03:57 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
QC lives in Hendersonville. You keep griping about finding a decent job. What exactly have you done to put yourself in a position to get a decent job? For example, there are many programs at AB Tech that can set one up for a fine career that will provide a good living. Have you taken advantage of that opportunity?

I love how some of you believe there are good jobs here. Again, what jobs there are go though temp agencies. If you don't like people talking negative about the place you live ignore them or don't respond.
School or no school this town pays crap.

Little Big City Blues: Asheville’s growing housing crisis | Mountain Xpress

You can’t talk about affordable housing without considering income levels.
At an April 21 retreat, Planning Department staffer Donna Cottrell told the Buncombe County commissioners that the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development pegs the median household income for the four-county metropolitan area (Buncombe, Haywood, Henderson and Madison) at $32,200 for one person, $44,800 for two, and $50,400 for three. Other sources may give different numbers, depending on which specific areas they include, but the basic message doesn’t change much: low wages and high housing costs.
In Buncombe County, the median monthly rent for a two-bedroom apartment is $916; for a two-bedroom house, it’s $950, according to the Bowen report.
Yet many local people (such as firefighters, teachers, wait staff, child care and construction workers) aren’t making anywhere near the $40,450 per year that is needed to comfortably afford such rentals.

And meanwhile, notes the Bowen report, roughly 27 percent of Asheville’s current renters make less than $15,000 a year ($1,250 per month before taxes) in a city where the median cost of a studio apartment rental is $720 per month, and a one-bedroom is about $836. In other words, 27 percent of Asheville renters would have to spend about 57.6 percent of their pretax income to live on their own in a small studio — or 66.9 percent if they wanted a one-bedroom apartment.

As the article states above. That's the reality of this town.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:57 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I love how some of you believe there are good jobs here. Again, what jobs there are go though temp agencies. If you don't like people talking negative about the place you live ignore them or don't respond.
School or no school this town pays crap.

Little Big City Blues: Asheville’s growing housing crisis | Mountain Xpress

You can’t talk about affordable housing without considering income levels.
At an April 21 retreat, Planning Department staffer Donna Cottrell told the Buncombe County commissioners that the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development pegs the median household income for the four-county metropolitan area (Buncombe, Haywood, Henderson and Madison) at $32,200 for one person, $44,800 for two, and $50,400 for three. Other sources may give different numbers, depending on which specific areas they include, but the basic message doesn’t change much: low wages and high housing costs.
In Buncombe County, the median monthly rent for a two-bedroom apartment is $916; for a two-bedroom house, it’s $950, according to the Bowen report.
Yet many local people (such as firefighters, teachers, wait staff, child care and construction workers) aren’t making anywhere near the $40,450 per year that is needed to comfortably afford such rentals.

And meanwhile, notes the Bowen report, roughly 27 percent of Asheville’s current renters make less than $15,000 a year ($1,250 per month before taxes) in a city where the median cost of a studio apartment rental is $720 per month, and a one-bedroom is about $836. In other words, 27 percent of Asheville renters would have to spend about 57.6 percent of their pretax income to live on their own in a small studio — or 66.9 percent if they wanted a one-bedroom apartment.

As the article states above. That's the reality of this town.
So the answer is no, you have done nothing to obtain any training or education to advance yourself. Got it. Ok, back to the whining...

Old 08-12-2015, 05:32 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
So the answer is no, you have done nothing to obtain any training or education to advance yourself. Got it. Ok, back to the whining...

Keep living in denial it seems work to for the most of you. And by the way great way to avoid the topic. You like living here great but I'm a realist & it seems that your blinded by your love for this town.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:26 AM

78 posts, read 101,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I'm curious about this comment. Wondering if you are aware that Knoxville has a lot of ethnic diversity - or is it simply that you don't consider us "Appalachian". We probably agree the diversity isn't high in terms of numbers, but it has sprouted a wide variety of "real" ethnic restaurants.

So I'll invite Jukes to visit our ethnic eateries while I visit Asheville for the strange over-the-top offerings. (we have a few of those but Asheville is the clear winner in this category).
Not sure whether or not Knoxville is considered Appalachia, but there's a key difference between the towns: the University of Tennessee. Asheville has UNCA, but it's a small liberal arts school—the smallest, I believe in the entire UNC system—and the only graduate program it offers is a Master's in Liberal Arts and Sciences. University of Tennessee is an R1 institution, meaning it's a major research center that plays with tens (possibly hundreds) of millions of dollars in state and federal grant money, and thus attracts STEM students from all over the globe. It also enrolls close to 50,000 students in undergrad and graduate programs.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:31 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Thanks Che, The university did/does contribute a lot to the diversity - as does Oak Ridge which ironically was sited where it is because of the isolation Shooting stars refers to. I personally consider it Appalachian, that's why I was questioning SS's remark.

You'll have to excuse me as I have appointed myself Shooting Star's official reality checker after his/her comment about no lake beside Murphy NC. I apologize for going off topic, but I also wanted to invite Jukes for a visit. Cities can't be all things to all people - nothing wrong with exploring a bit.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:56 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Thanks Che, The university did/does contribute a lot to the diversity - as does Oak Ridge which ironically was sited where it is because of the isolation Shooting stars refers to. I personally consider it Appalachian, that's why I was questioning SS's remark.

You'll have to excuse me as I have appointed myself Shooting Star's official reality checker after his/her comment about no lake beside Murphy NC. I apologize for going off topic, but I also wanted to invite Jukes for a visit. Cities can't be all things to all people - nothing wrong with exploring a bit.
I didn't even see your remark about the lake. Lake Hiwassee is in Cherokee county I believe, but it's not so close that anyone in Murphy would consider it "beside" the town. If one chooses to live on that lake, they have a hike into town. It feels more isolated than most lakes.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:21 PM

119 posts, read 173,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Ok, I'll play.

Overall, the answer is no. And would urge you to consider the definition of a "high cost of living" or "bad traffic" when comparing to cities/areas that are similarly desirable....Brooklyn, DC, Boston, Seattle, Portland, Austin or the SF Bay area. If unable to see through the base line comparisons to "elsewhere" would say it's probably time to find another place to live where the less special people tend to congregate, with a low cost of living, lots of high-paying jobs and very little traffic.
Ok why does everyone always compare Asheville to places like Brooklyn, DC, Boston, Seattle, Portland, Austin and SF, when Asheville is not a city like those places. I don't even consider Asheville a city, it's a town to me. It's like comparing Old Fort to Hickory. Charlotte is a city, not Asheville. So yes a city will have a lot more traffic than Asheville, but Asheville has more traffic than Old Fort. It costs more to live in Asheville than Old Fort. There are not a lot of high paying jobs in Asheville and when was the last time you were out on Hendersonville rd? I live off of it and you don't want to be on there between 4-5. It took us 20 minutes to get from Taco Bell to my daughters day care (Asheville Academy), normally a couple of minutes.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:09 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
AVL pays crap.

Construction managers making $35 and 40k. Pft! Here they make $80k to 100k.

Firefighters and cops making $30k! Pft! Here they make in the $40k's to start, up to $100k in some counties.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:23 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
AVL pays crap.

Construction managers making $35 and 40k. Pft! Here they make $80k to 100k.

Firefighters and cops making $30k! Pft! Here they make in the $40k's to start, up to $100k in some counties.
Let's see, high pay but you have to live in Florida and low pay but you get to live in paradise...hmmm...that's a tough call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina