Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,049,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Most jobs around here are tourist related. Most of them pay about $9/9.50 an Hr. While there are SOME living wage jobs here people tend to hang on to them which makes them hard to get/find. The average price for a apt is around $900 a month. Yes, it's a tourist trap. But it's got so bad that you can't enjoy your own town in the summer.
Actually, that's a myth. The top employer is the hospital.

http://www.ashevillechamber.org/econ...arget-clusters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 05:46 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,916,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine7910 View Post
Ok why does everyone always compare Asheville to places like Brooklyn, DC, Boston, Seattle, Portland, Austin and SF, when Asheville is not a city like those places. I don't even consider Asheville a city, it's a town to me.

Charlotte is a city, not Asheville.
Maybe they are making cost of living comparisons since it has big city prices? At one point I know it was cheaper to live in Charlotte than Asheville. Not sure about today's prices, but I wouldn't doubt it if this was still the case.

I'd call Asheville a small city when I'm talking about it since it has bigger buildings than you usually associate with a town and has a population of over 50,000. However, realistically I'd consider it a large town when comparisons are being made to other cities.

The Asheville peers should be places like:

Hoboken
Greenville, SC
Wilmington
Charlottesville
Portland, ME
Burlington
Boulder
Davis, CA
Grants Pass, OR
Clearwater
Sarasota
Knoxville/Charleston/Eugene/Berkeley (pushing into the next category up).

Some more so and some less so.

Charleston is the next step up and what I'd consider the large town, small to mid-sized city division. I'd like to think the Asheville comparisons are to cities with a similar vibe or only certain aspects/neighborhoods and not the entire city of [X city]. But this is CD so who knows?

Asheville does have a lot packed into its small package.

It's the sort of place that has achieved or is close to achieving critical mass in certain areas and because of this allows it to compete with places like Charleston/Knoxville even though it feels smaller.

There's also a huge amount of hype around the city.

So maybe that's why?

Old 08-18-2015, 05:12 PM

186 posts, read 332,889 times
Charleston.....South Carolina or West Virginia? We are half-way in between both.

Thanks to everyone for playing with the fire that I poured gas on and lit up !!!

Old 08-18-2015, 08:22 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,767,808 times
Asheville is very played out...please stay where you are.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:39 PM

172 posts, read 290,383 times
Default Driving skills...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post
I worry more about the limited driving skills of many, more than the traffic. I see car accidents almost daily....
How are your Walking skills? I do my walks around wAVL later at night due to horrible sidewalks that change sides of the road frequently or just disappear into overgrowth. Lack of crosswalks at intersections along Patton, dangerous curves with no space to bike or walk on side roads, and maze-like arrangements that make finding a new short-cut into an ordeal. Hope you don't need to go on the other side of I-240 either. There is a lot more that could be done to improve these things, but I guess it is a low priority in the money scheme.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy919 View Post
Charleston.....South Carolina or West Virginia? We are half-way in between both.
Well I was thinking of the one in SC, but now that you mention it they are probably both comparable size wise.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:03 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,617,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Well I was thinking of the one in SC, but now that you mention it they are probably both comparable size wise.
Metropolitan Populations
Charleston SC 727K+ (2010 est)
Charleston WV 224K+ (2013 est)

Old 08-19-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Metropolitan Populations
Charleston SC 727K+ (2010 est)
Charleston WV 224K+ (2013 est)
To Asheville, not each other.

As in Charleston, SC is the next step up from Asheville, but if you like the things Asheville offers then it could compete on amenities & surroundings (beach vs mountains).

Charleston, WV in the sense that the cities themselves are probably comparable. It's been so long since I've been in Charleston, WV that I don't remember it all that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina