Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 06:44 PM

186 posts, read 331,802 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd try to stir something up....so is Asheville "played-out"? Is it still the ultra cool, hip, new age, retro hipster uber neato place for all the special people to move to and live in, with the micro craft home brew companies building their massive new macro-production breweries? And all those kitchey cute shops in town.... Cost of living is high, jobs are scarce, pay is low, traffic is getting stooopid bad. Just wondering. Let the games begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 07:35 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,618,753 times
Topic(s) and similar opins beaten to a pulp, imo...

Old 08-07-2015, 10:00 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,414,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy919 View Post
Thought I'd try to stir something up....so is Asheville "played-out"? Is it still the ultra cool, hip, new age, retro hipster uber neato place for all the special people to move to and live in, with the micro craft home brew companies building their massive new macro-production breweries? And all those kitchey cute shops in town.... Cost of living is high, jobs are scarce, pay is low, traffic is getting stooopid bad. Just wondering. Let the games begin.
No! While your back was turned, all the cool, hip, new age, retro hipsters moved out and a bunch of dull plodding moral majority ultra-right people moved in.

The first thing they did was to outlaw craft brewers and twee shops. They're iffy about whether or not to keep the organic food.

The next thing they did was to tear down the old buildings and build a bunch of skyscraper corporate headquarters with boxy strip malls to fill in the rest.

It did cut down on all the tourist traffic though.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:50 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Ok, I'll play.

Overall, the answer is no. And would urge you to consider the definition of a "high cost of living" or "bad traffic" when comparing to cities/areas that are similarly desirable....Brooklyn, DC, Boston, Seattle, Portland, Austin or the SF Bay area. If unable to see through the base line comparisons to "elsewhere" would say it's probably time to find another place to live where the less special people tend to congregate, with a low cost of living, lots of high-paying jobs and very little traffic.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:58 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Ok, I'll play.

Overall, the answer is no. And would urge you to consider the definition of a "high cost of living" or "bad traffic" when comparing to cities/areas that are similarly desirable....Brooklyn, DC, Boston, Seattle, Portland, Austin or the SF Bay area. If unable to see through the base line comparisons to "elsewhere" would say it's probably time to find another place to live where the less special people tend to congregate, with a low cost of living, lots of high-paying jobs and very little traffic.
I can attest to the high cost of living in Brooklyn. Just like Brooklyn people keep coming to Asheville because it has so much to offer even though it's a tough place to make a living.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:19 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Ok, I'll play.

It's funny that you mention Oregon We have decided to move to a small town near Salem & the cost of living there is cheaper then here, even more so when you consider that there is NO sales taxes. Sure taxes are high there but they are here as well, for the work I do I can make two to three dollars an Hr. More then I can here. And guess what? No tourist. We can bike to most any where & still have the things that Asheville offers.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:25 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,192,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
It's funny that you mention Oregon We have decided to move to a small town near Salem & the cost of living there is cheaper then here, even more so when you consider that there is NO sales taxes. Sure taxes are high there but they are here as well, for the work I do I can make two to three dollars an Hr. More then I can here. And guess what? No tourist. We can bike to most any where & still have the things that Asheville offers.
Schweet!

Old 08-08-2015, 11:45 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,038,519 times
Quote:
Cost of living is high, jobs are scarce, pay is low,
True.

But the chamber of commerce puts up "Asheville... quality of life!" billboards, so it's all good.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:16 PM

644 posts, read 671,402 times
Interesting that you should mention Salem, OR area. That happens to be one of the locations my husband and I considered in addition to WNC. I really wanted to love it there - our son was working in North Cascades Nat'l park at the time and it would have made it a lot easier to visit. It's not an inexpensive place to live at all, sales tax or not. Income tax is high, real estate cost was less than where we lived at the time (60035), but more than here. Also the real estate taxes were less than where we lived but considerably higher than here. Now if you lived in WA and had no RE tax then shopped in OR where there's no sales tax, you might come out ahead. Might.And you can easily ask people about that because many make that their lifestyle. But it all comes down to what makes you happy and if WNC isn't doing it then you need to be somewhere else, obviously. Best of luck in your search - it is a process.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:00 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,540,148 times
House prices are higher than Eugene, OR which has U of O and many more outdoor activities, warmer shorter Winters, plus better schools and no state sales taxes.

So why choose Asheville if you are not specifically looking to move to NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina