Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:29 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,576,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestromaestro View Post

Thus - as I noted, I don't regard this is a high-risk venue; ultimately, it can be sold if things go sour. So, in that sense, to me this is essentially buying a vacation home sans the actual home...

You sound like you mind is already made up, but ......
Buying a vacation home and buying an empty lot are very different. You can actually use or rent out a vacation home. The lot will just sit there, accumulating tax and possibly maintenance expenses. There are better places you could put that money for thirteen years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 10:31 PM

13 posts, read 8,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
You sound like you mind is already made up, but ......
Buying a vacation home and buying an empty lot are very different. You can actually use or rent out a vacation home. The lot will just sit there, accumulating tax and possibly maintenance expenses. There are better places you could put that money for thirteen years.
Nope - not yet made up; what I would like though is to get a sense of where (IF!!) a parcel of land may be available such that a delay in construction is permissible.

As to parking the money - well, there are risks in any investments. Real estate is not without risks as well, but in that sense - it's not unlike any other instruments. So, yes, another recession can hit and the property prices may go down, but again... AVL recovered from the slump, and there is just as good a chance for an upside. And, the option to sell is still there - not as liquid as stock, but is there. Thus hoping that it wouldn't 'just sit' there. After all, the underlying thought (?) is that in general the RE prices do go up in time.

And even if the valuation of the land would lag the S&P, there is something to be said about the vistas, that you can't easily replicate... So, there is that.

Trying to figure out if my reasoning squares with the availability of the land parcels...

Thanks again for being a soundboard.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:55 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,535,268 times
Quote:
And even if the valuation of the land would lag the S&P, there is something to be said about the vistas, that you can't easily replicate... So, there is that.
Vistas are usually more suitable for summer or seasonal residents. Year-rounders need to consider year-round access. MotorDavid can chime in here as well. Just a little food for thought.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Year-rounders need to consider year-round access.
Maybe I didn't make myself perfectly clear - not looking to "homestead" at the outposts of civilization. Much simpler, really - given that RE prices tend to go up, I am wondering I could get a relatively small plot of land (subdivision???) in the general proximity of Asheville, such that I would have the option of not building right away.

This discussion is quite helpful, mind you. Hence I am curious what a realtor would have to say - as to where, what options, and all that jazz.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:26 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
If you just like the idea that real estate appreciates, why not buy something local to you now, let it appreciate, then sell it when you are ready to move to AVL?

Old 07-24-2016, 06:20 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,618,753 times
All even handed advice above...
The OP really needs to spend some time in the Asheville area, (and maybe other towns in some radius), and go see 'land'/parcels, lots in the nearly required task of finding where one wants to live/build a house.

As Lakefront noted, that process often requires at the least a few trips to many trips, in our similar experience.

A RE maven, even a 'land/lot' oriented person, can only offer up some pics/specs which will require some trips and time on the ground to make the leap to buy a lot, for building a decade down the road, imo.

Not a bad or crazy idea to begin the land/lot process now, but time is on the OP's side and 'lots' are not skyrocketing based on what I see/know. And, 10-13 yrs is often an entire new Chapter or two in one's life, as many of us toddle into our later years.
My 50Cts...
GL, mD

Old 07-24-2016, 06:57 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Quote:
Much simpler, really - given that RE prices tend to go up......Hence I am curious what a realtor would have to say - as to where, what options, and all that jazz.
I think a Realtor would be much more willing to talk to you if you have $200,000 to spend versus $50,000. But their job is to sell, not to provide financial advice.

It is a big mistake to assume that the price of land will appreciate. I live in a development that was over-sold in the boom years of 2006-7. Some of the lots bought for $100K are selling to builders for $60K.

I suspect if you look at similar mountain lots bought in 2007, and see what they are trying to sell them for now, you would also see a decline.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:45 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,629 times
Most subdivision are in HOA's, and lots are sold with rules about builders, and timeframe from purchase. You would not be able to wait so long to build.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:42 AM

Hmmm... Why do I get a feeling that y'all just don't want me to come to AVL and buy a parcel now? :-)

So if I said - OK, what about if I bought a house (vs. land) now, with the idea that I will move into it in 13 years, would your advice be any different?

[I am in Houston, and I can tell you that the RE in certain desirable areas - land parcels specifically, where the houses surrounding it are small bungalows that need extensive rebuilds or complete demolition - have been increasing in leaps and bounds. Perhaps that's what's driving my queries.]

Old 07-24-2016, 10:17 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,576,135 times
Quote:
Hmmm... Why do I get a feeling that y'all just don't want me to come to AVL and buy a parcel now? :-)

So if I said - OK, what about if I bought a house (vs. land) now, with the idea that I will move into it in 13 years, would your advice be any different?

[I am in Houston, and I can tell you that the RE in certain desirable areas - land parcels specifically, where the houses surrounding it are small bungalows that need extensive rebuilds or complete demolition - have been increasing in leaps and bounds. Perhaps that's what's driving my queries.]
What is happening to real estate in Houston does not mean it will happen to real estate in western NC. There are huge amounts of undeveloped land in this area.
But if that money is really burning a hole in your pocket, go for it. I promise not to say "I told you so" in 2029.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina