Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:13 AM

202 posts, read 715,428 times

Advertisements

Just wondering who is a Northern Ill. (Chicago sub.) transplant to W. NC? How do you like it in W. NC compared to Ill? Are you glad you made the move? Are winters much better in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 11:00 AM

518 posts, read 2,226,591 times
I'm a former Chicago suburbanite who hasn't moved to western North Carolina -- yet. But we have brought property there, visit the area frequently and hope to retire there someday.

It's kind of hard to compare the Chicago area (with its 9 million people) and western North Carolina (predominantly rural/small town) lifestyles. I think some of the towns in western North Carolina might remind you a bit of Galena, if you've ever been there -- quaint downtowns, sizable seasonal/retiree populations, beautiful scenery with tons of outdoor opportunities nearby. It's certainly a much slower, saner pace than you would experience anywhere around Chicago, even the suburbs.

You will get a taste of Chicago winter weather in western North Carolina, but just a small taste. The average January high where our property is located is upper 40s, lows in the mid 20s, occasional snowfall. Not tropical, but certainly better than Chicago.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
I'm a former Chicago suburbanite who hasn't moved to western North Carolina -- yet. But we have brought property there, visit the area frequently and hope to retire there someday.

It's kind of hard to compare the Chicago area (with its 9 million people) and western North Carolina (predominantly rural/small town) lifestyles. I think some of the towns in western North Carolina might remind you a bit of Galena, if you've ever been there -- quaint downtowns, sizable seasonal/retiree populations, beautiful scenery with tons of outdoor opportunities nearby. It's certainly a much slower, saner pace than you would experience anywhere around Chicago, even the suburbs.

You will get a taste of Chicago winter weather in western North Carolina, but just a small taste. The average January high where our property is located is upper 40s, lows in the mid 20s, occasional snowfall. Not tropical, but certainly better than Chicago.

Thanks Chisoxfan, for the info.

We're looking to do the same. Buy some land and then eventually build a house on the property and retire there. What area did you buy in? We're planning on a trip this summer to look at different areas?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 AM

23 posts, read 53,006 times
FWIW, we're on a parallel path - live in the Chicago suburbs, will be moving to WNC next year. So, LindaL, I can't comment (yet) as a transplant, but to build on what Chisoxfan said, it DOES remind us of Galena. Galena is kinda "Asheville light". In fact, we purchased a second home in Galena as a weekend getaway AND to sort of "practice" for our move to WNC. For example, at one of the prettier homes we'd looked at in the Black Mountain area, we saw that it would take us around 15 minutes just to "get off the mountain" and reach downtown for groceries, etc. That's basically the same situ for us in Galena...and now we see that we'll be fine with that.

Bottom line, you might want to consider renting a place out in Galena to get a feel for the WNC area. While we haven't purchased in wnc yet, I'd be happy to share our POV's on some of the places we checked out.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:42 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,770 times
Buzzbear - we are also in the Chicago suburbs (Barrington) and are waiting to break ground to build our home in Madison County. It will also take us 15 minutes to get off the mountain and into town - it takes me 15 minutes in traffic to get to town now - so I am looking forward to a very different view to get to town! It will be a different experience to not be a tourist in WNC - but to become a member of the community. We have visited 10+ times in the past year and a half. My advice to all who are considering this type of move is to spend as much time as you can and find the place that most feels like "home". We knew right away that Marshall was a place we wanted to be a part of and watch grow. Now if I could just find a builder....

Old 03-04-2008, 12:39 PM

168 posts, read 691,610 times
LindaIL, hubby and I are from Central IL, Champaign-Urbana area...winters here are WONDERFUL...although it really depends on your perspective. Hubby and I lived in North FL also, so it was so nice to move to WNC (I guess the locals refer to us as "half-backs ) and get our 4 seasons back, but without the harshness of IL's 4 seasons. Last autumn and this winter have been absolutely heavenly...temps in the fall where you could leave your windows open for days on end...the changing colors of the leaves...and even a little snow to make the kiddies happy! If you're looking for 4 seasons, just milder than IL, you'll love WNC.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:55 PM

Thanks a2zmom and BuzzBear! Glad to hear your opinions! Every bit helps!

Linda

Old 03-08-2008, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,966 times
Arrow Madison's Great

A2zmom And Buzzbear, Madison Is The Perfect Place. My Husband And I Use To Visit Older Family Members In Hot Springs Every Year. One Year We Decided That We Would Retire Here. Well After Living In The Rat Race Of Fla. And Going Through A Bad Year Of His Mother Dieing, After She Passed We Came To Hot Springs With Our 5th Wheel For A Little Break. Needless To Say We Woke Up One Morning In God's Country And Decided We Were Done With Fla. We Went That Day And Bought A House, Went Back To Fla. Sold Our Business And House And Got Out Of There And Back Here In 4 Months. We Love It Here. The People Are Great, Kinda The Helping Kind. Even The Young People Are Kind, And With Good Moral Values, As That Is How They Were Raised. Any More Question? With Our New Jobs It Only Takes 25 Minutes To Get To Asheville. Where Going 8 Miles Use To Take Us 45. Would Not Trade It For Anything.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:19 PM

161 posts, read 515,538 times
Hi De and EVeryone!

I agree. I am from NW Ohio and also lived in Florida for a short time. We are in a small town that is VERY much like Galena, Ill! LOVE that place! One of my best friends used to the be activities director for Eagle Ridge Resort.

Our town is between Charlotte and Asheville. Also very close to Spartanburg, SC. We are just an hour from Charlotte Airport and about 40 minutes from Greenville/Spartanburg Airport.

Taxes are cheap. We love our little town!

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:14 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Climate Check - Historical Climate Summaries for North Carolina | Welcome - Southeast Regional Climate Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina