Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 02:44 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times

Advertisements

Vince has long touted eastern TN as an alternative to WNC, so last week I wanted to see what he was talking about. For the first time, we drove from Asheville to Johnson City. My observations:

1. Beautiful mountain scenery on the drive.
2. Erwin is in a great location, surrounded by mountains, BUT it is not comparable to most small towns in WNC (i.e., Brevard, Hendersonville). It is much more rural, less vibrant.
3. The area around ETSU is very nice. The campus is nice, the retail around it is relatively new.
4. Downtown Johnson City is run down, with many buildings boarded up; in no way is it comparable to its vibrant neighbor Asheville.
5. Johnson City is near them, but not in the mountains.
6. Saw a number of mobile home parks.
6. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but many Baptist churches, in some cases only a block or two apart.

In sum, I could see wanting to live there if you want to be near family, want lower taxes, work at the University, or hospital, but other that, I'm not sure why anyone would choose JC and eastern TN over WNC. BUT, to each, his/her own..

Last edited by Lizap; 08-11-2020 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 05:38 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Duplicate thread... WNC compared to east TN

Old 08-11-2020, 07:37 PM

902 posts, read 808,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
duplicate thread... wnc compared to east tn
+ 1

Nothing new here other than more CDF nonsense and dumb comparisons from those seeking affirmation about their personal choices from strangers online.

The only REAL comparison between the two areas (for us anyway) is the quality of the people living on each side of the mountain, of which there is simply no comparison.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 08-11-2020 at 07:53 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Duplicate thread... WNC compared to east TN
Not really. This thread was in response to Vince's constant belittling of Asheville and western NC. I wanted to see for myself. While Johnson City and surrounds do have some pluses (which I noted), there are also some areas which don't stand up well relative to WNC and Asheville.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceTheExplorer View Post
+ 1

Nothing new here other than more CDF nonsense and dumb comparisons from those seeking affirmation about their personal choices from strangers online.

The only REAL comparison between the two areas (for us anyway) is the quality of the people living on each side of the mountain, of which there is simply no comparison.
To imply that the quality of people living in eastern TN is higher than that of those in western NC is RIDICULOUS.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:23 PM

I recall that the OP has previously stated "They've traveled the entire country, region and area and have never found a place as special as WNC ..." yet dismissed all things ETN along the way without ever making a visit (???) to the area until now.

A suspect opinion at best from a very elitist and tribal mindset. Like I said before the quality of folks living on both sides (one's a part timer BTW) is truly amazing as this post shows. So very glad that we're found our happiness on opposite ends of each area.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 08-11-2020 at 09:37 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
To imply that the quality of people living in eastern TN is higher than that of those in western NC is RIDICULOUS.
Implied and true, no doubt about it even from our friends living on the other side from Mars Hill down to Brevard. Three of which are making plans to sell their homes and relocate here after visiting the area and loving the warm and friendly folks here and proximity to all things Appalachia.

Their opinion of AVL being overrated is shared amongst them and they never visit anymore, plus the folks piling into WNC according to them now are just a little bit "special" or "touched" as they like to say here in TN.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 08-11-2020 at 09:47 PM..

Old 08-12-2020, 04:58 AM

789 posts, read 785,095 times
Lizap Vince has lived up and down the east half of the country so where will he be in 5 or ten years . ETN works for him for now .

You need to figure this out all on your own

Get out there and find that perfect job !! Then you can live close to or maybe 30 minutes away and find a great area to live , for now .

Maybe north georgia vs wnc next time .

Old 08-12-2020, 05:57 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
We love us some WNC!
Although we don't care for the immediate Asheville area, we have friends that live there (from Saluda to Weaverville) and love it!
Such is life, my cup of tea is anything but appetizing to others.
One is certainly not "better" than the other, only more suited to certain personalities and needs.

Life is Good!

Old 08-12-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
We love us some WNC!
Although we don't care for the immediate Asheville area, we have friends that live there (from Saluda to Weaverville) and love it!
Such is life, my cup of tea is anything but appetizing to others.
One is certainly not "better" than the other, only more suited to certain personalities and needs.

Life is Good!
You are absolutely right! Life is good and there are some really good people on both sides of the hill. We too have really great friends surrounding the AVL area still and hang with them frequently.

All of them tend to say the AVL area has grown too much and is getting overly hostile, especially with covid-19 and folks losing themselves over masks now. Most of them when coming to our neck of the woods immediately see the difference in atmosphere, with a few of them preparing to make a move.

To each their own though and we still really enjoy hanging with them in their neck of the woods too. Have some stuff lined up with them this weekend in fact in the AVL area. Looking forward to it.

Last edited by VinceTheExplorer; 08-12-2020 at 06:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina