Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 03:33 PM

653 posts, read 2,704,272 times

Advertisements

Do you like rain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 04:22 PM

136 posts, read 153,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
Do you like rain?
We only get about 15 inches a year so yes the 40 inches or would be a change but I am ok with that. We water our lawn a lot here.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:55 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I believe North Carolina still leads the country in venomous snake bites, but I would have to look that up. Here ya go:
https://www.wect.com/2019/06/09/nc-l...y-snake-bites/

40 inches of rain would be extremely low for Brevard. Try 90 inches on average, more in some years. The driest place in NC is around the Asheville airport and it averages around 38 inches a year. Most places in NC are average quite a bit over 40 inches a year. If we have a tropical storm (pretty common) they can drop a ton of water. It's not uncommon to get 1-2 inches of rain in an hour. Storms are common all year round. Severe thunderstorms are common in the summer.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:34 PM

Wow that is a lot of rain. Guess I wouldn't need sprinklers there. I have also been eyeing the Roanoke area because that is only two hours from wife's parents.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:46 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
Don't the Highlands and Lake Toxaway areas get close to 100 inches of rain per year? I think its awesome WNC has actual rainforests in the region.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:50 PM

From further research many people in western North Carolina are like the people here in Montana not wanting outsiders coming into the area. Some areas can yield really smug people. Its too bad really. Some of the best people I have ever known were from elsewhere. I might also look into the Roanoke area.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:52 AM

Thanks to those who have inbox messaged me. Due to my account being new I can't reply more than 2 times a day for some reason.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:49 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
From further research many people in western North Carolina are like the people here in Montana not wanting outsiders coming into the area. Some areas can yield really smug people. Its too bad really. Some of the best people I have ever known were from elsewhere. I might also look into the Roanoke area.
that's not entirely true. I think it's like anywhere else in that people from a certain place dont mind outsiders as long as they are just living and minding their own business. What alot of people dont like(including myself here) is people moving into a place, being there 6 months, and wanting to get heavily involved in the political realm and telling people how they did things back where they are from. If someone's been here for a few years and has learned how the wind blows politically and want to get involved, have at it. But seriously, you would be surprised how many retirees move in here, have nothing to do, and after 6 months want to get on all kinds of committees and start railing how we need to change things.

Yes, we get alot of rain, but it's not like the PNW where it's overcast and drizzle all day(though you can have some short stretches in the winter where it's like that). We get alot of beautiful days to get out and enjoy nature(in the winter as well, our winters are usually on the milder side, of course you come from Montana so I guess anything would be considered milder). You mentioned being in the construction side of things. Like alot of places, construction has been and is booming in this area. Big builders seem to always be looking for another worker or two, so if you have good skills, you could probably make around your target income.

Brevard really is a great place. Over the last 20 years, we've went from a super conservative county/town to what I would call a pretty moderate place, especially for being a smaller WNC town. Lots of cool art stuff here, a decent music scene, obviously tons of outdoor activities, good shopping in town, some really good restaurants, pretty safe(my wife is a magistrate and I served on my districts fire department for 10 years, random violent crime is very very low here, though like with alot of smaller mtn towns, drugs are a problem but most people wont notice it too much), good schools, and really not that far from bigger towns such as Hendersonville(30 minutes), Asheville/Arden(30minutes-1hr depending on which side), Greenville, SC(1hr-ish). We have a good beer scene here as well if you're into that. We have Brevard Brewing, Ecusta Brewing, UpCountry Brewing, and Oscar Blues. Sierra Nevada is about a 20-30 minute drive depending on which side of Brevard youre on.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:14 AM

Ok, thanks. I don't feel the need to get political so that shouldn't be a problem. We are normal people just wanting to work, live, and play in the woods.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:46 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,966,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
Ok, thanks. I don't feel the need to get political so that shouldn't be a problem. We are normal people just wanting to work, live, and play in the woods.
then you'll get along fine in both of your target places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina