Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 09:02 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,620,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Those lucky enough to live in North Carolina's High Country might also take comfort in knowing that fresh mountain air blowing through open windows is considerably safer than most air conditioning, when it comes to Covid-19.
As long as you allow for the occasional bear crawling through the window
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 09:17 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,361,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

What? The screen won't stop them? And you're in TX anyway!

Seriously though, lest someone believe this, I've had family living at 2100 ft (admittedly less elevation some have spoken of here) since 1984 who left windows open without incident. (Are you in the HVAC business?? )

Bird feeders are another matter. And I mean a bird feeder 5 feet from the window.

Last edited by crusinsusan; 07-12-2020 at 09:35 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 09:32 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,963,840 times
Quote:
Well, yes, there is that.

Is your real name Goldilocks?

You don't have to go down to the woods today (or up to the mountains, either) to see black bears anymore, however. One was spotted just a week or so ago, walking casually down the sidewalk by the University of Kentucky Hospital here in Lexington!

I'll stick with the cottontails, raccoons, and opossums who've been inhabiting my suburban yard a mile away from the hospital for the sixty-plus years my family has lived in my house, even if a pair of young 'possums did quietly walk in my open back door a couple of summers ago, and proceeded to make themselves at home in my family room, sleeping under a quilt covered side table and emerging at night to dine on kitty kibble in the adjacent kitchen, until they were discovered and encouraged to leave. But yeah, better 'possums than bears.

Enjoy both the breezes - and the occasional bear - in your North Carolina mountain home.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:37 AM

5,493 posts, read 6,148,755 times
Bear love hummingbird feeders, yummy, good sport drinks.

A family in the "hood" began putting out corn for deer and hummingbird feeders for the birds.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
What? The screen won't stop them? And you're in TX anyway!

Seriously though, lest someone believe this, I've had family living at 2100 ft (admittedly less elevation some have spoken of here) since 1984 who left windows open without incident. (Are you in the HVAC business?? )

Bird feeders are another matter. And I mean a bird feeder 5 feet from the window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Well, yes, there is that.

Is your real name Goldilocks?

You don't have to go down to the woods today (or up to the mountains, either) to see black bears anymore, however. One was spotted just a week or so ago, walking casually down the sidewalk by the University of Kentucky Hospital here in Lexington!

I'll stick with the cottontails, raccoons, and opossums who've been inhabiting my suburban yard a mile away from the hospital for the sixty-plus years my family has lived in my house, even if a pair of young 'possums did quietly walk in my open back door a couple of summers ago, and proceeded to make themselves at home in my family room, sleeping under a quilt covered side table and emerging at night to dine on kitty kibble in the adjacent kitchen, until they were discovered and encouraged to leave. But yeah, better 'possums than bears.

Enjoy both the breezes - and the occasional bear - in your North Carolina mountain home.
The folks just across the street from our Highlands house have had TWO close encounters with bears...both made it onto the deck and headed toward the door, one actually came through the screen door to the kitchen!
A little screen in the window ain't gonna stop them
I'd measure carefully which windows would be left open at night(preferably a good distance off the ground). During the day might be a different matter, if there is a fair bit of activity(other than cooking!) around the house.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:02 AM

4,799 posts, read 10,662,736 times
^ Good bear pic, getatag!

Our local bear pop has dwindled this Spring/Summer, as I have seen bear scat only a few times and only one bear on my morning trudge up/around our mtn peak. That is fine by me, as I have seen/been close to enough bear over the last 19 years here on the Mtn...

I suspect the construction activity on two new houses 'up here', have sent our usual local bear(s), off to less noisy areas. (First new house construction in our little mtn top community in years.)

Back to the topic, as posted in dozens of threads here, everyone has a different comfort zone and everyone's house has a different site exposure/tree canopy/micro clime, plus altitude differences.

For us at 4,800 ft, but in a house surround that is heavily wooded and 'fueled' by the near daily rains/soakers here this year, we do use A/C on occasion and sometimes a few times a day, esp at night to cool/dry our 3rd floor bedroom where we sleep, using that zone as we like to sleep cool to 'cold'.

We have SW FL friends, full timers, that barely turn on their A/C there in ScorchVille, but for us that prefer it 'cooler' & less humid feeling, nothing beats a few mins of stone cold/dry A/C air for us, even at our Mtn elevation...

The past couple days of NoRain, cooler temps up here, (high was 73 yesterday), & low RH, has been a windows open situ and damn the pollen/dust. This week's rising temps may provide a warmer situ, esp for the low(er) elevation gang.
GL, mD

Old 07-13-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
The folks just across the street from our Highlands house have had TWO close encounters with bears...both made it onto the deck and headed toward the door, one actually came through the screen door to the kitchen!
A little screen in the window ain't gonna stop them
I'd measure carefully which windows would be left open at night(preferably a good distance off the ground). During the day might be a different matter, if there is a fair bit of activity(other than cooking!) around the house.

Good heavens!

Old 07-13-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Good heavens!
yep! Didn't need a second cup of coffee THAT morning, I'll bet!!

Old 07-13-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
yep! Didn't need a second cup of coffee THAT morning, I'll bet!!

No! But I'd bet the commode was used a 2nd time...and 3d!

Old 07-19-2020, 10:10 AM

184 posts, read 127,333 times
Quote:
Yes, you'd need an outlet, which should be fairly cheap...not much more than $100 + parts. I don't know if your crawlspace is enclosed?....but if not, I don't think a dehumidifier will help much...after all, it'll draw outside/ground moisture and might never do the job. Perhaps you know this, but others may not, so I'm just saying. Other's may weigh in with opposite opinions on that, but logically it doesn't make sense to me to dehumidify without encasing. I'm willing to listen to opposing opinions, but it doesn't matter to me, as my crawlspace is enclosed.

Also, really if you've got the electricians there, you might as well install lights too - they've been a great help to me, but I do have a tall enough space that I can put bikes, etc in there. A switch by the entrance and you can flip it to see everything (including bugs! and then to kill them...lol) if you put in enough lights. My 1200 sq ft single story has 6 lights in the crawlspace...it's great!

I most assuredly recommend a drain pipe, as I've heard of others that have to go into their crawlspace to empty the bucket on a daily basis....which is a pain. But a pipe can be a tricky business - so plan the route of it. To wit: at my house the previous owner (now deceased, so I have no one to question) had it put in and it is attached to the handler (as it should be). And although the handler is up on blocks, it's still not high enough, so that the dehumidifier pump works harder to move water uphill, as the ground is above both. I hope that's clear. (FYI: the dehumidifier is at the same height as the handler drain pipe, so they are level, but the drain pipe from the dehumidifier runs uphill...not far, but just enough to annoy frugal me )

Anyway, assess the level of your handler...put the dehumidifier at the same level, and hopefully the drain pipe can also be at the same level and go through the bottom of the house and still clear ground. (I also added a flexible plastic drain outside to clear the outside unit, as the original drain funneled the water right to the pad of the AC unit ...which made the pad all mossy and I'm sure, over time, would have created a problem.)

If I ever replace the handler, I'll put it higher in the crawlspace to keep the pump from working so hard.

It's not hard...just a bit of thought and planning and you're set. I always try to figure everything out before calling a so-called "pro" so I know who is being straight with me and who should just get off my property! lol So, do figure it all out first, then be quiet as you listen to see if the "pro" is a pro, or a dude. lol

Oh...lastly, you do know that crawlspace dehumidifiers are much different, and more expensive, than other dehumidifiers for inside houses, I hope. Don't skimp and get some cheap, inside one. Search specifically for "crawlspace dehumidifier". They're bigger monsters, and rightfully so. It must suck to have to crawl in their to repeatedly repair a cheapo thing.

PS: Of course, I'm assuming your handler is in the crawlspace. It may not be, and then you'd have less of a headache to deal with.
Thank you crusinsusan! I do not know what is meant by "handler". I think it is someone who manages people under witness protection. I have a heat pump, which is in a "closet" and not in the (enclosed) crawlspace, and a condenser out on the patio. The crawslspace is not tall enough to be used for much storage. I will research. Yes my impression is that a dehumidifier would be expensive. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina