Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 08:52 AM

5,474 posts, read 6,114,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyRanger View Post
Well said. The issue I find concerning is the ignoring or even silencing of others with dissenting viewpoints which unfortunately, is indicative of our society as a whole these days.
Oh, your opinion doesn't count, only mine!!!

Last edited by getatag; 10-19-2020 at 09:08 AM..

Old 10-19-2020, 09:00 AM

6,646 posts, read 4,354,585 times
Quote:
Well said. The issue I find concerning is the ignoring or even silencing of others with dissenting viewpoints which unfortunately, is indicative of our society as a whole these days.

I agree about the ignoring. I don't think those of us who believe Asheville is a great place and has a lot to offer should put Vince on ignore. We should speak up and let others know we don't agree - that it has a lot to offer. It is not perfect -no city is, even Vince's current hometown of Erwin, TN. For the most part, I havn't seen regular posters here trying to silence him. He keeps saying it, but I havn't seen it so much. It is puzzling to many of us here why he would feel the need to continually denigrate Asheville, especially now that he has moved to TN. What I have seen is his belittling/berating of and demeaning comments directed at regular posters on this forum who have and continue to provide constructive and valuable comments. This type of thing is unfortunate.

Old 10-19-2020, 09:43 AM

146 posts, read 140,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I agree about the ignoring. I don't think those of us who believe Asheville is a great place and has a lot to offer should put Vince on ignore. We should speak up and let others know we don't agree - that it has a lot to offer. It is not perfect -no city is, even Vince's current hometown of Erwin, TN. For the most part, I havn't seen regular posters here trying to silence him. He keeps saying it, but I havn't seen it so much. It is puzzling to many of us here why he would feel the need to continually denigrate Asheville, especially now that he has moved to TN. What I have seen is his belittling/berating of and demeaning comments directed at regular posters on this forum who have and continue to provide constructive and valuable comments. This type of thing is unfortunate.
Yes, if someone disagrees with him, he says he’s being censored. But he then told me that I had ‘said enough’ and was welcome to post only if I had something constructive to say, i.e., agreeable to him. So the one crying censorship is the best at putting it into practice. He also called me dumb and ignorant for expressing a more toned down opinion than his own. Not to mention bizarrely acting like I thought a child being shot was no big deal. His rudeness and the amount of time and energy spent here denigrating a place where he briefly lived comes across as unhinged. I realized pretty quickly that I don’t need to communicate with someone who seems to be fueled by arguing. You seem to do a good job stating a conflicting opinion and keeping it under control. I’ll continue to post my honest opinion of things but I won’t directly interact with him anymore- I’ll save my patience and energy for the annoying, argumentative people I have to interact with in person, of which, in this day and age, there are already too many.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:18 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,977,129 times
Quote:
it's not the dissenting viewpoints(matter of fact, I'm not the hugest fan of Aville either) but Vince is always hellbent on some crusade to always interject how crappy he thinks Asheville is....in every thread, and he usually devolves into his usual condescending attitude and a "how dare you disagree with me" approach. That gets old to read. So much easier to tune that out, and focus on better quality posts, even if the opinion is dissenting from mine.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:27 AM

902 posts, read 812,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegofoxgo View Post
Yes, if someone disagrees with him, he says he’s being censored. But he then told me that I had ‘said enough’ and was welcome to post only if I had something constructive to say, i.e., agreeable to him. So the one crying censorship is the best at putting it into practice. He also called me dumb and ignorant for expressing a more toned down opinion than his own. Not to mention bizarrely acting like I thought a child being shot was no big deal. His rudeness and the amount of time and energy spent here denigrating a place where he briefly lived comes across as unhinged. I realized pretty quickly that I don’t need to communicate with someone who seems to be fueled by arguing. You seem to do a good job stating a conflicting opinion and keeping it under control. I’ll continue to post my honest opinion of things but I won’t directly interact with him anymore- I’ll save my patience and energy for the annoying, argumentative people I have to interact with in person, of which, in this day and age, there are already too many.
^^^^ Same garbage, different post ...

Above it all and angelic one moment, back to dump on things the next. Delusional is the only way to describe it, but you’d have to care enough about it to want to put a label on it in the first place, which we don’t.

Another text book example of not being able to accept the opinions of others here, clawing at their throats then claiming victim status afterwards - all while having the same opportunity as everyone here to simply not contribute.

Keyboard bullying at its finest, and much the same from a small group of individuals here. We won’t give in to them though ...

Old 10-19-2020, 10:53 AM

902 posts, read 812,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
it's not the dissenting viewpoints(matter of fact, I'm not the hugest fan of Aville either) but Vince is always hellbent on some crusade to always interject how crappy he thinks Asheville is....in every thread, and he usually devolves into his usual condescending attitude and a "how dare you disagree with me" approach. That gets old to read. So much easier to tune that out, and focus on better quality posts, even if the opinion is dissenting from mine.
So there’s an observation here to make. Try not to twist it into something else.

Seven pages into a post and you show up with nothing to contribute to the original conversation starter (as have a select few here) other than to say how much you’re over things. Ever think that I may be the same way with you and the other goons here who have a problem with what I post?

Post a “relevant to the area” topic and those like yourself drop in to contribute nothing but hate, then talk amongst yourselves as though you’re the victims. Seems kinda ironic seeing things from a different perspective possibly?

Old 10-19-2020, 11:19 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,388,584 times
We have a family home in Boone (and like to make occasionally day trips from Boone down to Asheville) and so I like to read this forum, but certain people make that not fun anymore. I do not see anything morally wrong with me or anyone else ignoring their posts. This is City-Data, not an objective news source.

If y'all like the back and forth, then keep at it. Your responses fuel it. If you don't appreciate it, don't fuel it with responses.

BTW, we had a brief and fun visit to Asheville about two weeks ago. Spent some time looking at UNC-A for our soon to be college kids and also popped downtown briefly. We all enjoyed it, but agreed we will have to go back for longer when COVID is more under control.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:24 AM

Deleted.

Last edited by Lizap; 10-19-2020 at 11:45 AM..

Old 10-19-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
We have a family home in Boone (and like to make occasionally day trips from Boone down to Asheville) and so I like to read this forum, but certain people make that not fun anymore. I do not see anything morally wrong with me or anyone else ignoring their posts. This is City-Data, not an objective news source.

If y'all like the back and forth, then keep at it. Your responses fuel it. If you don't appreciate it, don't fuel it with responses.

BTW, we had a brief and fun visit to Asheville about two weeks ago. Spent some time looking at UNC-A for our soon to be college kids and also popped downtown briefly. We all enjoyed it, but agreed we will have to go back for longer when COVID is more under control.
I think there is a legitimate way to share an opposing opinion without berating someone..

Old 10-19-2020, 11:38 AM

146 posts, read 140,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

Our oldest is considering UNCA as well. And yes, downtown is a bit too crowded for me right now with Covid still in full swing. Even our favorite hiking trails are packed. Boone was insane this weekend, but the leaves sure are pretty!

And on your other point- agreed! I went briefly down that trail and am resolved not to make that mistake again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina