Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 12:00 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
This sounds like what you are looking for: Very nice community and in Asheville: https://www.villagesatcrest.com/
The two active listings are priced in the mid $500K, but the houses are only between 1100 and 1300 square feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 01:03 PM

11 posts, read 6,220 times
Checking in -

First - thanks again to all who responded. I greatly appreciate your time and efforts.

Next - I checked on the Marion property. There is no house. The ad reads like there is a house but it is actually a builder looking to have someone contract to have a house built there. Still, I ran out to check it out.

The property is not bad, however, the lots are bigger than I really want to care for. The "development" sits on a 45 mph road and, while not terribly busy, one hears every car that goes by. The property is not too far from Interstate 40 and you can hear - in the background - highway noise. It's not a hard no but it isn't the ideal. We will keep looking.

On the way back I saw the post about the Villages at Crest Mountain. I was there years ago but decided to go visit it again to refresh my memory. First negative is its proximity to Asheville. We are looking to get away from here. Next the small homes are very small and very close. The salesman on duty said he didn't even think that I could fit a 2000 sq foot home on a lot. They do have larger lots but the price goes up quickly and they are on very sloped property. Worth a look but not what we want.

Rutherfordton is a bit too far.

There is some property in Mills River we might go check out tho' our realtor went and says it isn't what he thinks we are looking for.

So again, thanks for the help and suggestions. We are stil looking for that "Low Maintenance" community that might be around somewhere.

Old 07-28-2023, 02:22 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Also, I'd probably cross off Madison County. It's a low population county, very rural, and mountainous. You might be able to find land and build your own home, but that might be tough at your budget, and we've had hell finding contractors to do anything.

Old 07-28-2023, 02:23 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
We bought our Charlotte home 4 years ago and our "must have" list was very similar to yours.
When you click the box for "single story" on real estate searches about 90% of them disappear, that is your real challenge.
And in the mountains finding one level is even more of a challenge than Charlotte.

We weren't planning to buy this house, we were visiting family and in a couple years thinking of moving here.
Saw this house listed, went to see it and made an offer.

Good luck. Be ready to make an offer when you see the home you want, meaning have your financing or cash ready.
We're headed to Asheville soon for a getaway, nice town.

Old 07-28-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
We bought our Charlotte home 4 years ago and our "must have" list was very similar to yours.
When you click the box for "single story" on real estate searches about 90% of them disappear, that is your real challenge.......
I have been wondering why the original poster wants to live in the mountains when their criteria are so hard to find. Why not a traditional 55+ community near Charlotte. This place fits their budget, house size and yard size requirements. The HOA does the lawn maintenance. The location is pretty and has water access to lake Wylie.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...il/M5099121021

Old 07-28-2023, 04:46 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
We pretty much wanted the same things, but specifically wanted to be ‘in’ the mountains. We looked around Charlotte near the lakes, but it just didn’t feel right to us. We love living ‘in’ the mountains and can’t imagine living anywhere else at this stage of our lives. I think most of the OP’s wants are doable, but she is going to have to be flexible, and may well have to compromise on some things. In an earlier post, I listed three developments in the Hendersonville/Flat Rock area, to which she replied that they had looked at, but ruled out. These 3 developments are very nice and likely have properties within or near her price range. It’s going to be very challenging to find a new house within an hour’s drive of Asheville in her price range at the desired square footage. My suggestion is to find a good realtor and be open-minded.

Old 07-28-2023, 06:34 PM

643 posts, read 670,257 times
It's a small development but Dunroy on Rutledge in Flat Rock has houses that fit your description. A few houses have owner landscape maintenance by choice but most are part of the HOA program. Housing sizes vary, not all are 1 story, many are. IOW it is not a cookie cutter development which we found appealing living there for 2 years while we built. Not a lot of turnover which makes it challenging but a motivated realtor can sometimes work wonders.

Old 07-29-2023, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
......In an earlier post, I listed three developments in the Hendersonville/Flat Rock area, to which she replied that they had looked at, but ruled out. These 3 developments are very nice and likely have properties within or near her price range.......
Agreed that a little more flexibility would help. For example in Carriage Park, there is a new construction house at $615,000. It is about 2200 SF and the 7400 SF lot has only a little bit of slope. It's at 283 Millbrae Loop:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...il/M6622727372

Carriage Park has wonderful amenities, including an indoor pool. The HOA fees are not bad for what they offer. The above house is the lowest priced one currently for sale in CP. It is a new section with similar, smaller homes.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-29-2023 at 12:22 AM..

Old 07-29-2023, 08:03 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have been wondering why the original poster wants to live in the mountains when their criteria are so hard to find. Why not a traditional 55+ community near Charlotte. This place fits their budget, house size and yard size requirements. The HOA does the lawn maintenance. The location is pretty and has water access to lake Wylie.

That house is nice but not rural at all. Definitely near interstates and rush hour and airport traffic.
Our home is at the Charlotte and NC/SC state line. Not rural/not urban.

Something else on our "must" list was nearby hospital and doctors which we have 10 minutes away and it was very useful for getting Covid shots drive-up in our car by nurses outside the medical building.
Our primary docs are located there and they are part of Atrium Health so statewide if a new doctor needs access to our medical info.

In a perfect world I'd live in the mountains too but our family is in Charlotte so we are too.

Old 07-29-2023, 10:13 AM

11 posts, read 6,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

GRANDKIDS in Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina