Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 10:36 AM

11 posts, read 6,193 times

Advertisements

Looking for some help from the nice folks on here. I am checking Realtor.com and also have 2 realtors who are looking to help as well but so far we can't find what I'm looking for, which is....

A house or townhouse for our retirement years. We would like it to have:

- LOW MAINTENANCE,
- Cottage style or Craftsman style
- single story or at least primary bedroom on main floor
- 3 bedrooms,
- 2 or 2.5 baths
- have a front porch
- rear porch or screen room
- in a quiet neighborhood
- approximately 2000 -2500 square feet
- Under $600,000

We would like it to be within 1 hour of Asheville but not close to Asheville. Henderson County, Madison County or somewhere like that.

If you are familiar with the Cottage homes at Biltmore Lake, or the homes in Hawks Ridge or South Creek Cottages than you know what I am looking for. Hawks Ridge is sold out but the advertisement for it specified it as a Low Maintenance Community. We have seen several communities that are advertised that way and they seem to be what we are looking for. At the moment, we have not found a suitable resale in any of them.

For me Low Maintenance means smaller property (maybe 1/3 acre, maybe less) flat property, 99% landscaping is grass - no extensive shrubs or such to constantly tend to, hardie board siding, concrete driveways ( no pavers) . We don't want to spend time tending to the property except possibly mowing a small lawn.

South Creek Cottages has larger parcels but they seem to be mostly grass - that's ok. The one home in that development currently on the market sits on a very steep hill with lots of grass - too much maintenance for me.

I would like to find something like one of these - hopefully a neighborhood under development that we can contract to have built. Or, a resale of a home in one of these type developments.

I'm sure someone out there knows of something that fits and perhaps it hasn't reached the MLS listings yet or maybe is even in the planning stages. Maybe you know a builder putting together this type of development. Any info to help us track down our home will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 12:48 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Check out Carriage Park near Hendersonville. It’s a nice community and located in a good area. There are some newer homes there are close to your price range. Also check out Highland Lake Village in Flat Rock. There is some new construction going on there. A wonderful community.. Cummings Cove, a gated golf community between Hendersonville and Brevard, also is a possibility.

Last edited by Lizap; 07-27-2023 at 01:24 PM..

Old 07-27-2023, 03:03 PM

Hi Lizap -

Thank you for your response. We have visited all 3 of those communities but none are what we are looking for.

We are really looking for the specific "Low Maintenance" type houses with the attributes listed in my post. These (and other developments) have great homes, just not what we are looking for.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Old 07-27-2023, 06:07 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
This small new development in Marion fits many of your requests. It is on flat, open land with a mountain view, although the lots are larger than you wished. The style is "modern farmhouse" rather than Craftsman, but it has a front porch, rear summer kitchen and a main-floor bedroon. Marion is about 40 minutes east of Asheville off I-40. There are other available lots in Grace Estates where you could customize the house. You can certainly hire someone with a riding mower to cut the grass.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-27-2023 at 06:36 PM..

Old 07-27-2023, 06:55 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
This small new development in Marion fits many of your requests. It is on flat, open land with a mountain view, although the lots are larger than you wished. The style is "modern farmhouse" rather than Craftsman, but it has a front porch, rear summer kitchen and a main-floor bedroon. Marion is about 40 minutes east of Asheville off I-40. There are other available lots in Grace Estates where you could customize the house. You can certainly hire someone with a riding mower to cut the grass.

Nice find!

Only thing I'd add is a pedestrian door accessing the driveway so I wouldn't have to open and close the garage door all the time, plus another opening into the backyard or onto the screened porch next to the outdoor kitchen.
I have pedestrian doors in my current garage and it's amazing how many times I use them rather than opening and closing one of the garage doors.

Old 07-27-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks! That's the kind of place we are looking for. I'm going to follow up ASAP.

I greatly appreciate this info!

Old 07-28-2023, 08:37 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
It is unusual for someone to seek a flat lot in the mountains. However, I remember from travelling I-40 that it is fairly flat to the east of Asheville. The town of Marion has the basics for shopping: a Super Walmart for pharmacy and groceries. It has a hospital and several family practice doctor groups, one affiliated with UNC. You would be near Lake James for water recreation.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:44 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
This sounds like what you are looking for: Very nice community and in Asheville: https://www.villagesatcrest.com/

Last edited by beckycat; 07-28-2023 at 09:30 AM..

Old 07-28-2023, 10:30 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
OP, how does this look? Just under an hour southeast of Asheville in the sweet small town of Rutherfordton.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8?from=srp-map

Old 07-28-2023, 11:15 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
It is unusual for someone to seek a flat lot in the mountains. However, I remember from travelling I-40 that it is fairly flat to the east of Asheville. The town of Marion has the basics for shopping: a Super Walmart for pharmacy and groceries. It has a hospital and several family practice doctor groups, one affiliated with UNC. You would be near Lake James for water recreation.
It flattens out, but is still close enough to the mountains to where mountain recreation is easy.

Prices are also notably lower in Marion than closer to Asheville, or even the closer in parts of Madison County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina