Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 07:08 PM

3 posts, read 16,816 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're considering moving to Givens Estates CCRC in Asheville from San Jose, CA in lieu of moving to Greenville, SC where my sister and her family lives. It's just so hot and sweaty in Greenville and I'm subject to heat exhaustion.

I've read many of the posts about various issues regarding Asheville ("not as advertised, too expensive, weird persons in downtown, too much traffic" etc.) and have some sort of idea what to expect.

Now I'd like some info. on Givens Estates from anyone who lives there now or knows someone who does. The other CCRCs in the area don't look to be as nice as Givens. True? How is it to live there? What would you say the average age of the residents is? How are people treated? Are the newest apartments and cottages nice?

Appreciate any thoughtful feedback. I hope to make a trip out next month and visit Givens with my sister.

Thanks,
Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 05:02 AM

70 posts, read 219,509 times
Givens Estates is in a pretty area not far from Asheville. We pass it all the time on our way there. We don't live there but I always notice it.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:55 AM

10 posts, read 32,833 times
I've been to Givens once or twice. The just completed (or are about to finish) a huge expansion on their buildings and facilities. Probably a great time to get in there. There seems like a lot of help there. I know a bunch of friends from high school who got their nursing assistant certifications that worked there. They always said it was a great place to work, I imagine its a great place to live.

Asheville is quirky, but Givens isn't really that close to downtown. Its maybe a 20 minute drive without traffic, but its far enough away to avoid any unwanted weirdos from the area.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:15 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,036 times
I have relatives who know people that live at Givens, and they say the food is just so good there, that "outsiders" want to go over there to eat.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 16,816 times
Talking Givens Estates visit report

Hi,
I was in Asheville last Thursday with my sister and had a very long tour of Givens Estates. Their new apartment building (137 residences!) is beautiful. The exterior and interior are in an Arts and Crafts style and they did it very well. We saw two apartments--actually ones that we're interested in! The quality of the countertops and flooring varies between units because of what the original occupant chose, but upgrades are available for new residents. But the light fixtures are beautiful brass Arts and Crafts fixtures. Carpeting was nice, all the rooms have crown molding, and most all apartments have a balcony.

Although we did not eat there, we did tour the dining room about lunchtime and the offerings looked very nice. They have an enormous variety of wellness programs to offer, many more than what they show on their website, and many classes for both physical wellness (water aerobics) and mental wellness (French) in addition to things that you would find at other CCRCs, but with 800 people on the property, you do get many more types of services. The pool is really only suitable for water aerobics, so I'm going to join one of the YMCAs in order to SWIM.

They have a very nice woodshop, the grounds are very hilly with many walking trails on the property. Nicely kept everywhere.

Givens is on Hwy 25A, about half a mile East of Hendersonville Road (Hwy 25) via Gerber Road. Right within half a mile of that intersection on Hendersonville Road is a new Ingles supermarket as well as an Earth Fare market with other services such as drug stores, gas stations, and restaurants nearby. A nice location away from downtown Asheville.

Overall, so impressed that I plunked down some money to get on their waiting list for 2 years from now. ALL of the other CCRCs in the area have not built any new buildings in perhaps 10+ years so forget high-speed Internet wiring or other amenities.

Nancy

Old 09-09-2008, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 8,023 times
Default Givens ccrc, etc.

Hello - we are looking for a ccrc near Asheville and appreciated your information on Givens. Haven't been there yet, but have visited Tryon Estates. We are on the younger side of the new boomer population looking for ccrcs and want a place that doesn't scream 'retirement community'. Tryon Estates has a sign out front that says Tryon Estates Retirement Community and we, and our friends who accompanied us, were instantly put off by the trumpeting of the 'retirement community' part of the sign. It was just depressing to drive in there, sort of like visiting the cemetery on Sundays when you were a kid.

We'll visit Givens and thank you very much for posting that and any other ideas that come to mind.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:45 PM

679 posts, read 1,461,563 times
We live around the corner from Givens (actually on the other side of the mountain). You should like the location. South Asheville has a fair amount to do and you will be a short drive from downtown, Biltmore Village, the Parkway and the airport. Coming from San Jose, you'll be pleased to know that getting to "the other side of town" is only about a 20 minute effort.

I just hope you aren't going to be another one of those folks that draw my venom by driving 25 mph down 25A (45 mph speed limit) and turning into the Givens Estates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina