Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,109 times

Advertisements

I know this was asked before, not sure how long ago, but here we go again.

My husband and I have been entertaining the idea of moving from Miami to Wilkesboro, NC. Granted, this has been the only city we have looked at besides Ocala, FL. We are a young couple (still ) in the 40's and we are tired of the fast life of Miami, we would love to go to a more relaxed atmosphere. We loved Wilkes County, but I am afraid, one thing is when you go to a place while on vacation and another to live there. Sometime we find ourselves with nothing to do here in MIAMI if you can belive that, so I can't imagine...in Wilkes...any thoughths, opinions and/or suggestions? Or perhaps other cities you would recommend? We are very confused!!!

Thanks...

Last edited by dagmarita68; 09-28-2008 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 04:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarita68 View Post
I know this was asked before, not sure how long ago, but here we go again.

My husband and I have been entertaining the idea of moving from Miami to Wilkesboro, NC. Granted, this has been the only city we have looked at besides Ocala, FL. We are a young couple (still ) in the 40's and we are tired of the fast life of Miami, we would love to go to a more relaxed atmosphere. We loved Wilkes County, but I am afraid, one thing is when you go to a place while on vacation and another to live there. Sometime we find ourselves with nothing to do here in MIAMI if you can belive that, so I can't imagine...in Wilkes...any thoughths, opinions and/or suggestions? Or perhaps other cities you would recommend? We are very confused!!!

Thanks...
Do you need to find jobs? If you have one that goes with you then, yes, I would personally consider Wilkesboro. Otherwise, you may have trouble finding one. But I like the country life and don't require much other than mountains and nature to be entertained. If you are the same, you'll likely be happy there too

I mean, there is much to like about life there in the foothills in my opinion. Others would surely disagree. But the weather is not harsh in any season, there are good roads, schools and available medical care AND great blue grass music.

Do some more homework, but I think you could pick a lot worse places to go!

Old 09-28-2008, 05:06 PM

5 posts, read 14,638 times
You are probably accustomed to "nice" things and being able to do things when you wish. Be carefull of moving to an area that is a nice vacation place. Wilkes county is very nice and like lovemountains said, if you need a job (this area) is manufacturing or service. Country living is great and this area is one of the best in "country living".

You will find people who will help you and make you feel comfortable. STAY AWAY from McDowell county! Those, in that county, are very clanish and think it is still 1913. Good luck in your search. I would suggest taking some time to vist the area around Wilkes county and do some digging and asking questions of locals. Ask them to give you the good, bad, and ugly of the area. That should give you the insight you need to make a decision.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:13 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,304,950 times
Wilkes County is country, nothing like what you're [probably] used to in Miami. If you are used to high-end shopping, fine restaurants, expensive cars, well-dressed and educated people, etc., etc. - then you will not be happy with Wilkes County...or any county nearby.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:54 PM

28 posts, read 96,697 times
I moved to wilkes County in 1994 from Miami. The best thing I ever did. Love Wilkes and still love Miami too. This is a place you can adapt to and always find work in too. This is a growing community. There are jobs at the library, schools, and other sorts of jobs out there. This is a great area. We already have a Cuban-American realtor at Carolina Real Estate. We have bilingual bankers at Bank of America. THis area is growing and is a great place to live. We currently own acres in the area. There are other Miami people in the area. Don't be discouraged to move to this area.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:07 AM

11 posts, read 26,412 times
Default Hi fellow S Floridians

Hi there! My husband and I (in our mid 30s) just returned from our visit to WNC with our 1 year old daughter. We went with the intention of checking out areas we may want to move to. We stayed in Lake Lure, but visited Rutherfordton and Hendersonville. Loved the mountains, rivers and beautiful folliage. We didn't want to come home! We're leaning a little more towards Hendersonville, but we're still keeping our eyes open to other areas. Hendersonville has a wonderful downtown historic main street area of about 7 blocks! Check out www.dhinc.org. On the right side of the website, there's a map of all the stores. You can still live in the country but have many of the conveniences nearby that we're used to in S Fl. I did notice a Lowes and a mall - although I wasn't paying attention to what stores are there! You'll also want to consider your healthcare options in a small town (which was brought to my attention through another poster).Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed
Anyway, feel free to write!! Hopefully we can help each other!

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 04:31 AM..

Old 11-05-2008, 11:53 PM

The drs from Winston-Salem Baptist have offices in Wilkes. They have air care so that people get transported to WS if necessary. We have Wilkes Regional Medical. Good doctors in this area. I gave birth in Wilkes and I liked the small town -friendly service and attention vesus the care I received in the first part of my pregnancy back in So.Fl. I like living in Wilkes.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:55 PM

606 posts, read 1,978,207 times
Mtgirl, Where in Miami did you live? I grew up there! I'm not too far from you, living in Happy Valley off of 268. I love it here too, but I don't share your love of Miami!! I do miss the ocean though . . .

Tracey

Old 11-12-2008, 01:40 PM

I was born in Miami ....So I love it. I lived less than 5 min from Miami International Airport. I went to Gables/SMiami Sr High. Been in the Carolinas since 94. Love Wilkes COunty. Great Mt. Views and its a growing area.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:42 PM

I've been to OCala too. Its a great town in Florida. Its right in Central Florida. An 1hr from Tampa and ORlando. Close to Disney . That place sounds cool too. I really like Wilkes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina