Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:44 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Oh no, the snow and the wind, aggghhh!!! Where I lived in Alaska was the "warmer" area but with that darn wind and no trees(literally no trees), scary and unpredictable....

My daughter's teacher is from N.D. and she said there is not too much trees so the wind makes it worse than here in Minnesota, which I guess is generally colder and snowier(have never been here for winter). True?
Where are you in Minnesota? I live along the ND/MN border at Grand Forks-East Grand Forks. Typically, most of North Dakota is colder on average in the winter than most of Minnesota. Depends...often the coldest low readings on many nights can be found in the MN arrowhead and forest areas from Bemidji to north of Duluth where calm winds can be more common than in the open prairie. Now if you live in the twin cities area...then definitely colder as the twin cities can be considered quite warm by comparison.

Williston area can get into some chinook warmed airmasses on occasion....just depends on how/where the coldest air gets dumped southward. Typically the coldest area of the state overall during the winter will be the stretch from Bottineau to Rugby-Devils Lake-Langdon eastward to Hallock MN.

Much of Minnesota can be closer to winter storm track so in general more total annual snow is a bit higher at MSP and certainly at Duluth.

I am a meteorologist at NWS Grand Forks ND and I can answer many weather questions....just ask.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 PM

155 posts, read 421,271 times
Snow storm possible this weekend........

National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary

Old 11-01-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerJoker View Post
Snow storm possible this weekend........

National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary
Yep been monitoring this storm system since Sunday...looks like a good chance for a 4-8 inch snow event for areas around Bismarck-Devils Lake region....Williston on far northwest edge and may not see much.... Grand Forks and Fargo may see more rain than snow.... not a huge storm by any means and temps will not be terribly cold but something to keep in mind if traveling.

Dan

Old 11-01-2011, 03:58 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,625 times
Dan, thanks for your tips I really have no idea how winter is here. We are by Alexandria it took us like 1 hour and 15 minutes to go to Fargo, ND. So N.D. is colder than this part of MN? People here always talk baout cold. Cold this,
-30 degrees this. Well everywhere I guess is about the weather, lol......

Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Dan, thanks for your tips I really have no idea how winter is here. We are by Alexandria it took us like 1 hour and 15 minutes to go to Fargo, ND. So N.D. is colder than this part of MN? People here always talk baout cold. Cold this,
-30 degrees this. Well everywhere I guess is about the weather, lol......
Tough one comparing alex to williston...as williston can get very cold there at times in the Missouri River valley....but they tend to get the occasional warm ups to above freezing. Alex may not be quite as cold at night but can be a bit colder many days during the day....due in part to often more cloud cover at alex than williston. Grand Forks area where I live and work is often the coldest of all the major cities in ND....more so during the day it seems as the depth of the arctic air is entrenched more in the Red River valley. Of course all the above is very generalized....from my experience.

Dan

Old 11-02-2011, 08:23 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Yep been monitoring this storm system since Sunday...looks like a good chance for a 4-8 inch snow event for areas around Bismarck-Devils Lake region....Williston on far northwest edge and may not see much.... Grand Forks and Fargo may see more rain than snow.... not a huge storm by any means and temps will not be terribly cold but something to keep in mind if traveling.

Dan
So you are saying I should get my leaves raked but if I don't I might get another week to put it off....

It's great to have a weatherman on this board. Thanks Dan!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:26 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Tough one comparing alex to williston...as williston can get very cold there at times in the Missouri River valley....but they tend to get the occasional warm ups to above freezing. Alex may not be quite as cold at night but can be a bit colder many days during the day....due in part to often more cloud cover at alex than williston. Grand Forks area where I live and work is often the coldest of all the major cities in ND....more so during the day it seems as the depth of the arctic air is entrenched more in the Red River valley. Of course all the above is very generalized....from my experience.

Dan
Thans Dan! I guess soon I will see, am gonna have to get accustomed again to wintery snow as haven't been in 2 seasons I was in Mexico last winter and the past one in California. I am wondering if can be comopared to Anchorage, Alaska as that is the coldest place I have spent winter(and darkest) but still on cold nights it reached -5 or 6 but during day maybe 0. They didn't have the wind Dutch Harbor had so Dutch could seem colder with the constant wind. Hmmm, will be interesting to find out now.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Looks like a 4-6 inch snow is likely for western ND (Minot west to Williston) with a bit less around Dickinson....with Bismarck on the line with some snow but not too much.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:15 PM

249 posts, read 645,434 times
28 degrees last night... sitting here now it's 55 in short sleeves...
but it won't last til tomorrow..LOL

Old 12-05-2011, 11:38 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Anyone heard from Laina1980. I haven't seen a post in awhile. ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston