Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 07:27 AM

454 posts, read 940,484 times

Advertisements

Forget GPS. Use a map. We had a terrible time with GPS down south last year. Several times it gave us routes that were waay longer than if we had just used a paper map and figured it out ourselves. I don't care much for GPS - can you tell?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:47 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I live in Eastern Montana, not much difference from the Wiliston area. I came from the coastal range of Oregon.
Please believe people when they tell you that you cannot survive the elements out here, this is killing cold.
Please consider holding off until May or June, then maybe you could do it. I understand your need for a job, hey we left Oregon seven years ago because we no longer desired to pay the ever increasing taxes.
Do you know I can drive in either direction from where we live and not see another vehicle for say 40 or 50 miles? And this is on Hwy 2, the major road up here? What if I go into a ditch and in minutes the snow drifts over my rig? This is more than a "do not come here" speech. This is life and death. From what I hear and read the jobs are here for the duration. Plan, prepare and live ok?
We want live neighbors And remember if their is money to be made there are spammers and folks who will separate you from it. Good Luck!
I own a home in Williston, but currently I live in the northeastern part of N.D. On the Fargo news today, the told of a homeless man, that had been living in a tent along the interstate. He called 911 and had to be rescued last evening from hypothermia. After they were able to find him they transported him to the hospital for treatment, than to a shelter. He left the shelter today. My point is.....this man is lucky...please read Elkhunter's thread on weather info/cams on the first pgs. There are amasing resources that all of us could use related to driving conditions and so much more. Please, no matter how much you prepare, you cannot live outside in these weather conditions. And really, winter is just getting started. Be smart, no housing.......wait and prepare for spring.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 PM

73 posts, read 202,990 times
Don't bother coming this way unless you have an apartment, motel or man camp. You can't sleep in your car people! Tonight is my 5th night sleeping in mine and it's not the most enjoyable thing to do. People are leaving in droves but many more people are staying and still coming this way. The coldest temps I had to endure sleeping in my car is -3 with a windchill or like -12 or something. When the temps get lower or several consecutive days of bitter cold weather I have to reconsider. You can't sleep in your car, truck or trailer. I've heard stories up here about last year people being being frozen solid inside there cars. Fire dept had to cut them out. This week the weather looks good to travel around the state. I will take advantage of this to try and get some kind of jobs with housing. I will keep a close eye on the weather forecasts but I heard those interstates are real deadly.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsfinest View Post
Don't bother coming this way unless you have an apartment, motel or man camp. You can't sleep in your car people! Tonight is my 5th night sleeping in mine and it's not the most enjoyable thing to do. People are leaving in droves but many more people are staying and still coming this way. The coldest temps I had to endure sleeping in my car is -3 with a windchill or like -12 or something. When the temps get lower or several consecutive days of bitter cold weather I have to reconsider. You can't sleep in your car, truck or trailer. I've heard stories up here about last year people being being frozen solid inside there cars. Fire dept had to cut them out. This week the weather looks good to travel around the state. I will take advantage of this to try and get some kind of jobs with housing. I will keep a close eye on the weather forecasts but I heard those interstates are real deadly.
I hope you get a job soon, any good leads?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:03 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,153 times
That is great news Dan, it can buy some time for those there. I hope they all find jobs in that time.

When will IT be back??(Inconvenient Temps,lol)

Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 PM

73 posts, read 202,990 times
I used all my leads todays. People I've talked to also have had the same experiences with leads. All have come up short. Tomorrow will be a defining day cause for sure every1 will be out on wed afternoon. I'm gonna be super bored for a long n brutal 4 day weekend.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsfinest View Post
I used all my leads todays. People I've talked to also have had the same experiences with leads. All have come up short. Tomorrow will be a defining day cause for sure every1 will be out on wed afternoon. I'm gonna be super bored for a long n brutal 4 day weekend.
Please don't keep sleeping in your car. Take advantage of the break in weather coming supposed to be better at least daylight hrs, and drive home. Go before roads get worse. Unless you are driving to, and can afford to stay somewhere and try to get a job elsewhere in N.D., you really need to go home, it is unsafe to remain in your car. You can plan and come back next spring. You are going to be money ahead, having networked for the time you have been here. It won't be a wasted effort. There may even be some available
housing w/ a job by next spring. You can keep networking on here, even from your home in Cal. and share your experiences, your insights now will serve you next spring in your job search. Please check roads, 511 is number from cell phone all across N.D. Plan your drive home carefully, regarding road conditions.
I am listing the thread of ElkHunter, it has so much info, covers roads all over the differant states, it may help very much for your drive if you decide to go home. There are also lots of resources on his link, and descriptions for things like hypothermia. Do not hesitate to call for help, 911 or go to the hospital if you think you are getting hypothermic...Not worth the risk. Winter weather alerts for 2011-12 (First post Highway Cams)
Be safe

Last edited by JanND; 11-21-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 10:57 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Well...the good news is for those in Williston who are sleeping in less than ideal conditions is that this upcoming week will see well above average temperatures and no snow.

From NWS Bismarck for Williston....

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 48.23°N and Longitude 103.49°W

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 28. South wind between 3 and 9 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 16. South wind 8 to 10 mph becoming west.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 36. Southwest wind between 10 and 13 mph.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 25. Southwest wind around 11 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 43.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 26.

Thanksgiving Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 43.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 26.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 35.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 21.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 34.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 21.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.
Hey Dan,

I've seen monthly high and low averages for Williston in various places on the web, but is there a link to somewhere on NOAA or Weather.gov that can give average lows and highs for each day of the year for a specific city or town.

Thanks Dan

Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,651 times
Jan is right. There ARE jobs all over ND. Sure, the pay will be 1/3 to 1/2 of oilfield pay, but the costs of living in other towns outside of the Bakken are 1/4-1/3 of in the oilfield.

A few days ago for another ND thread I checked on the ND jobservice website. Within 25 miles of our town there were 121 job descriptions representing 231 positions. Plus there are some places that don't list on Job Service.

Here in the eastern 1/2 of the state housing is plentiful & affordable, so you could get yourself a place & job to hold you over until spring.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
<<<<<<<<<<Unless you are driving to, and can afford to stay somewhere and try to get a job elsewhere in N.D., >>>>>>Be safe

Old 11-21-2011, 11:44 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Hey Dan,

I've seen monthly high and low averages for Williston in various places on the web, but is there a link to somewhere on NOAA or Weather.gov that can give average lows and highs for each day of the year for a specific city or town.

Thanks Dan
Hi

Here is by far the best site I know of to look at normals (temp/precip/snowfall) for all the various stations in the country.

UNITED STATES CLIMATE NORMALS 1981-2010

You can choose to pick monthly normals or daily normals. Then click on a state and it will show normals for all the climate stations out there. Some stations are cooperative observer stations that may only do temperature or precipitation or both. Airport stations would have all.

Great resource.... The person who runs Golden Gate weather page is a former NWS met, now a certified consulting meteorologist in the San Francisco area. All data comes from the National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, NC. They are the only ones who issues these normals and is the official climate record data place.

Dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston