Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 06:04 PM

10 posts, read 24,073 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am seeking advice from people familar with the Eagle River/Land O Lakes/Rhinelander/ etc area`s. We have three small children and currently reside in the Chicago area (Skokie). We have traveled to a summer home a friend of our`s has on Duck Lake in Land in Lakes for the past five summers, and this year for our first Thanksgiving?

We are looking for a nice vacation home on a lake for under 200K...is this a possibilty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:57 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,881 times
You might want to post this on the general Wisconsin forum rather than the Madison forum. Also, people in the Chicago area might be able to help.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
A vacation home for under 200K is possible. But if you want a lakefront home with frontage -- especially a lake on the chain like Duck Lake is -- expect to pay about that much for a 3-season cabin or a very small ranch that will need serious updating. If you're willing to settle for something off-lake with deeded lake access, you'll have more options.

Last edited by Drover; 09-06-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 12:21 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,002,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythreelads View Post
Hello. I am seeking advice from people familar with the Eagle River/Land O Lakes/Rhinelander/ etc area`s. We have three small children and currently reside in the Chicago area (Skokie). We have traveled to a summer home a friend of our`s has on Duck Lake in Land in Lakes for the past five summers, and this year for our first Thanksgiving?

We are looking for a nice vacation home on a lake for under 200K...is this a possibilty?
I live in that general area (understanding that description covers a lot of land).

My only input is that with more frequent drought- due probably to climate change- many people who bought 'lake frontage' on smaller bodies of water now find that they instead have 'meadow frontage'.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:40 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,917,567 times
Look up into the Watersmeet, Michigan area, too. For some reason, crossing that invisible line tends to cut the prices down a little.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Oh yeah, another option that's gaining popularity is lakefront condos. Most condo complexes have deeded dock space on the waterfront. If you don't require a detached house you should find some decent waterfront condos in your price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Look up into the Watersmeet, Michigan area, too. For some reason, crossing that invisible line tends to cut the prices down a little.
The western UP is cheaper because it's kind of in a recreational no-man's land; too far away from the major cities to be convenient for weekending.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:02 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
I agree with Drover and direct the response to the OP:

The UP of Michigan is simply too far to be practical for a weekend home for most people from Chicagoland. That changes dramatically if you have the ability to telecommute or simply have the ability to spend a longer amount of time than other people do.

If time is on your side, the UP has much less expensive vacation property, at the price of a longer drive. The reward--if you enjoy such things--is that the UP is comparatively untouched, and can be an excellent value. The potential down sides are that there exists minimal Chicagoland type civilization, and the cold weather lasts for a much longer time.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,917,567 times
Yes, but she is looking in the Eagle River/Land O Lake area--Watersmeet is only 30 minutes from Eagle River, 15 from Land O Lake. I figured Watersmeet is still within the applicable driving distance.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:24 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,002,135 times
'Hello. I am seeking advice from people familar with the Eagle River/Land O Lakes/Rhinelander/ etc area`s."

I believe the OP is describing most of North-Central Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin