Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 07:09 AM

363 posts, read 2,020,129 times

Advertisements

Very funny all. Thank you for all the wise words. I must go process them now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 02:16 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported1 View Post
I guess I live in a different part of Wi. than most of you! My stomping grounds are Price, Rusk, Iron and Vilas counties.

Things that scare me, or bother me in WI. ....

WOLVES ... I live a mile and a quarter from a town and I have seen wolves on my land. The wolves have significantly increased in numbers in the past few years. I have friends that have been out on their deer stands this year that have seen packs and when they have retreated to their vehicle have been flanked by them. A farmer down the road from me has lost quite a few calves this year to the wolves. The elk that were introduced to Clam Lake area have been impacted by them too. My neighbor is a logger and he told me that he sees wolves all the time and they are not disturbed even by the loud machinery they are running in the forest.

Asian Lady Beetles ... or what ever you want to call them ... they just irk me to no end. From October to May these little devils are a nuisance. If you live in a white house they seem to be worse. We spray for them just after the first frosts on days that it warms up, but we still get many in the house. A real pain!

Tent Worms, when they come through every seven years or so. Last time these worms came through they were everywhere. You could hear them pop and squish when driving a car. Gross bugs! Thank heaven they only come in cycles of around 7 years!

Skunks. They don't scare me but they are a pain. Especially if you have dogs. Forget the tomato juice myth too. It is peroxide and baking soda to kill the odor.

Porcupines. This is the first year my dog has been quilled. A real bummer for the dog and owner.

Fishers ... Nasty and mean. Plus side is that you have fewer skunks when these guys are on the upswing.

Bears ... seeing more of them all the time. They get into feeders and anything else tasty. They also seem to be less intimidated by people these days. I have some that love the ant hills in my Christmas Tree Plantation.

Deer ... cute in the forest, tasty on the table, but a decided problem on the roads. No different than any other state with deer populations though.

Someone mentioned mosquitos, they haven't been a problem for us for the past three years. Deer flys have been not so bad too. Ticks have been more of a problem. Plain flys have been pesty.

Hey and how about those snow fleas??? No one has mentioned those!

We have some really big spiders up here too. Roasting sized! Harmless I guess but still big. Actually I find the bigger the bug the easier to spot and kill. I lived in the Islands for a time and tarantulas were fragile and easy to spot and kill, same with the huge cockaroaches! Neither of those here either!

Pine Bores. Big beetle bug that flies and eats I believe dead wood of pines. They are tough bugs. Harder to crush, nasty to have crawl on you b ut not too big of a problem.

DNR. These guys scare me! Hmmm, who brought in the wolves? They brought in flies to kill the tent worms years ago and the flys were then a problem, and, many suspect they had something to do with the Asian lady bugs.

All in all, I love Wisconsin. Some bugs and critters are a pain, but the people are good on the whole, beautiful place visually, lots of things to do here, Winters can be long but you appreciate the Spring, Summer and Fall that much more. It is not for everyone, but there is really no paradise.

PS, as an import to Wisconsin I have figured this one out. Everyone from Wisconsin pulls things with their vehicle. Trailers, boats, sleds, ATVs and so on. These people love to pull things. They also do it well! If you move here learn to pull things around. It will make you feel like a local!

Wisconsin IS a great place!

Rusk County here Ladysmith...Wolves are a problem and judges out west help that..Nothing a gut shot will take care of..
Asian beetles DNR brought in to kill purple loosestrife..
Bears hoping with the tetracycline study they did this year and next will give out more kill permits.Bears I was told love ants as help clean tongue and birdseed too something with the feel on the tongue.Being such a wierd year more came to houses just to get food.
Fischers reintoduced to get the porcupines they have protected..I see em while bow hunting not bother me but if cornered will fight like any other creature.Snow fleas been awhile since seen em so forgot.

Now hope we did not scare off anyone..

Old 10-08-2006, 04:47 PM

I'm sorry, but I haven't the faintest idea what a Fischer/Fisher (Spelling?) is? Anyone? Anyone?

Old 10-09-2006, 01:59 AM

The fisher, Martes pennanti, is a North American marten . Despite its name, this animal seldom eats fish, but is a typical marten; a medium sized mustelid, agile in trees and slender enough of body to pursue prey into hollow trees or burrows in the ground. Their name is thought to originate from the French word fichet, which referred to the pelt of a European Polecat. In some regions the fisher is known as a pekan which is derived from its original name in the Abenaki language.

The fisher is found from the Sierra Nevadas in California to the Appalachians in West Virginia and north to New England (where it is often called a fisher cat), as well as in southern Alaska and across most of Canada. Fishers are present in low density in the Rocky Mountains, where most populations are the result of reintroductions. There is recent evidence, however, that a Montana population persisted in a refugium despite extensive fur trapping in the area during the 1800s and 1900s. Fishers are most often found in coniferous and mixed forests with high, continuous canopy cover.

Adults weigh between 2 and 7 kg (4-15 lbs) and are between 65 and 125 cm (29-47 in) in length, with the males larger and heavier than the females. Their coats are darkish brown, with a black tail and legs; some individuals have a cream-colored patch on the chest. All four feet have five toes with retractable claws. Because they can rotate their hind paws 180 degrees, they can grasp limbs and climb down trees head first. A circular patch of hair on the central pad of their hind paws is associated with plantar glands that give off a distinctive odor and is believed to be used for communication during reproduction. Fishers are also known for one of their calls, which is often said to sound like a child screaming.

Fishers are solitary hunters, feeding mainly on small herbivores and omnivores such as mice, porcupines (they are the only predator to consistently hunt this quilled animal), squirrels, shrews and possibly deer. Female fishers first breed at one year of age. The fisher breeding season spans late February through late April. There is a ten month delay after breeding before implantation of the blastocyst phase of the embryo occurs, resulting in a one year gestation period. Litters are produced annually. The young are born in dens high up in hollow trees.

Fisher populations have declined because of loss of forest habitat and, in the past, because of trapping for their fur. They have the reputation of being shy and secretive, and they are difficult to breed in zoos. In some locales, however, particularly in north-eastern North America where forest habitat is recovering near towns, fishers seem to be habituating to human presence and are now seen more readily; there have been reports of them entering suburban areas and scavenging for rubbish, and occasionally attacking domestic animals. In 2005 a Boston Globe article told of fishers attacking cats[1]. While cats are not their only prey, there has been a rising number of missing cats and small dogs, probably due to the rising number of fishers (fishers were reintroduced in much of North America to control porcupines). This trait is not unique to New England. Fisher attacks on domestic pets in the vicinity of forested areas is well documented throughout their range. Their attacks can be sudden and deadly, in spite of the presence of nearby human protectors.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:58 AM

7 posts, read 30,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer8
Can anyone tell me what kinds of things are "not so good" or even downright scary???
It's not the lions, tigers, or bears, nor the mosquitoes, beetles, or tent worms.

The scariest thing in Wisconsin is not a creature of any tangible variety.

Simply put; the political climate of this 'progressive state' is enough to scare the buh-jeezus out of the likes of Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and Alfred Hitchcock.

Beware.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:09 PM

Oh my Gosh! I just saw a photo of a Fisher... So cute! How and the heck can they be frighening? Thanks for the info. Dreamhunter65... I suppose I could have gone to Wikipedia myself. Oh gracious, I hope that doesn't mean I'm lazy! 'Preciate it!

Old 10-09-2006, 09:11 PM

No problem and I do not think fischers are scary at all...I been within 5 feet they run..I been within 10 feet of 3 badgers also they don't run they stand their ground..

Old 10-10-2006, 12:12 AM

4 posts, read 18,737 times
Actually, Wisconsin is supposed to be the most AVERAGE state in the union. Meaning, that it is a valued state for polls and such. Saw that in a headline. Personally, I like the political climate. To each his own. Boo!

"There have been numerous reports of fisher attacks on domestic animals and even children." If you meet one in a tight crawl space and it feels cornered, you might feel different. Uh, and according to the experts they do not go in crawl spaces. This one did. Tale a look at this cute little guy:

http://www.hilltownsonline.com/fishercats.htm (broken link)

Admittedly, they don't send shivers of fear down my spine, like wolves do, but I am not looking to meet one in a small dark space.

Then there are those dreaded snow snakes to contend with!!

Also I want it noted that I am not a FIB ... FLatlander or what have you.

Pioneer8 ... What part of Wisconsin are you thinking of transplanting to? I lived in the Virgin Islands for 15 years and moved to Wisconsin, then to Arizona and back to Wisconsin. I really love it here. I don't think the snow is that terrible these days either. I am sure that is partly due to location, but personally, I root for snow because it is good for business. Bring on the snow, the tourists and the sleds!

Dreamhunter65, I was in Ladysmith a week ago. I am in Park Falls now, Moved here from Mercer/Manitowish Waters. Moving to Hawkins in a few weeks. Opening a business across from Norco. If you get by stop in and set a spell.

Nice talking with you all!
Take care!
Kate

Old 10-10-2006, 12:58 AM

26 posts, read 84,119 times
there is such a thing as snow fleas?? Sorry guys a California girl here... the whole snow thing and cabin fever is a big concern for me... I have an eight year old boy confined to a small home for four months is REALLY scary.... My husband loves it up there (a recent visit) but the winters make me nervous... how often do you have snow days for the kids(where you don't have to drive in the snow) Does fog accompany snow?? I know these may seem silly but I am looking for elsewhere to live... leaning towards the south but not ruling out the north... just scared of the weather.. looking in the Appleton/Neenah area. Sorry and thank you!

Old 10-10-2006, 08:31 AM

4 posts, read 18,737 times
Hmm, I think I confused who was asking about WI. here, anyway ...

Way up north here the snow has not been especially plentiful in winter for I would say the last 6 years, or maybe more. Last year I can recall one school day in my district that they called school. Roads are generally very good, mostly clean of snow in the winter. The road guys do a great job here. Some school areas call for closing quicker than thay do in my area. Sometimews we may not have a lot of snow falling but the wind is factoring into the deal. Blowing snow can sometimes be an issue. There are no more than a hand full of days that really make going out a thing you don't want to do. Actual days that you cannot go out are rare. When you get to the Ashland/Hurley area and get lake effect snow, you are probably talking way more snow than I get here. I am not sure about the Appleton area.

But then, you never know, this could be the year we get dumped on, which isn't all bad either.

Things to do in the winter ... please add to this list ... fun things not shoveling snow!

Snowmobiling
Skating
Skiing
Xcountry Skiing
Snowshoe-ing
Snowboarding
Walking the trails (beautiful)
Dog Sledding
Regular old Sledding
Ice Fishing

There are more ....

Kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin