Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Illinois Plates Targets in Wisconsin
Yes 5 11.36%
No 26 59.09%
Absolutely a revene target 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 12:05 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,787 times

Advertisements

Bottom line, I still see over 10 mph speeding tickets here. Whether IL or not, looks like WI just take speeding super serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 01:14 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Having driven throughout the midwest....I think it is just a cultural difference.

On the interstate I wouldn't do more than 7 over in Iowa and Wisconsin.
In Missouri....especially on I-70....that won't keep you up with the slow lane.
In Illinois, I-55 from Chicago to St. Louis is FAST....but I wouldn't go so fast in some of the northern parts of the state.

I think that the ticket amounts in particular are a KEY tipoff as to how speeding is viewed AND how the locals would be more reluctant to speed.

I think Illinois drivers just stick out by driving a lot faster than the flow of traffic....like the old European guys you see on the beach in Florida.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:58 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Having driven throughout the midwest....I think it is just a cultural difference.

On the interstate I wouldn't do more than 7 over in Iowa and Wisconsin.
In Missouri....especially on I-70....that won't keep you up with the slow lane.
In Illinois, I-55 from Chicago to St. Louis is FAST....but I wouldn't go so fast in some of the northern parts of the state.

I think that the ticket amounts in particular are a KEY tipoff as to how speeding is viewed AND how the locals would be more reluctant to speed.

I think Illinois drivers just stick out by driving a lot faster than the flow of traffic....like the old European guys you see on the beach in Florida.
Thanks for the mental image, Mathguy.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:06 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Wisconsin must be a good state to visit since they are safety conscious. Tennessee is cracking down on people following too close. Makes the roads safer and I like that. I have known people who got tickets in Statesville, NC, for doing one mile over the speed limit and they have a judge who makes sure it sticks. A speed limit is a speed limit, not a speed suggestion.

Last edited by NCN; 10-25-2007 at 03:37 PM..

Old 10-25-2007, 04:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
The only time I ever got a ticket in Wisconsin, I had Wisconsin plates on my car.

Mathguy's got this one covered. A very useful piece of information that Illinois tourists should take to heart is that Wisconsin state troopers simply do not give you as wide a speeding margin as Illinois troopers do. And that goes for everyone, not just out-of-staters. I think there is a perception among Illinois residents that they are targeted in Wisconsin because they do not modify their driving speed once they cross the state line, and driving speeds that do not earn them a ticket in Illinois may earn them a ticket in Wisconsin. In other words, Illinois drivers are "singled out" because they make themselves targets more often than local drivers do.

Here's a piece of common sense for out-of-state travelers no matter what state you drive in: if you don't want to be "singled out," then look around you, get a feel for how fast the local drivers are driving, and don't exceed that speed. A lot fewer Illinois drivers would get tickets in Wisconsin if they just followed this simple maxim.

Last edited by Drover; 10-25-2007 at 04:22 PM..

Old 10-25-2007, 04:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Wisconsin must be a good state to visit since they are safety conscious. Tennessee is cracking down on people following too close. Makes the roads safer and I like that. I have known people who got tickets in Statesville, NC, for doing one mile over the speed limit and they have a judge who makes sure it sticks. A speed limit is a speed limit, not a speed suggestion.
Overzealous enforcement poses its own set of problems. There are times when speeding is actually a safer course of action than obeying the speed limit. Creating a situation of greatly varying speeds is actually more dangerous than allowing drivers to form a consensus speed above the posted limit. Law enforcement doesn't have the resources to catch even a fraction of speeders; and weighing their alternatives, our local traffic cops have generally decided that it is safest to let traffic form a consensus speed and then pick off those who are not content with the consensus. Not to mention the local judges around here have little patience for police agencies clogging up already overburdened court dockets with nitpicky tickets that appear to be motivated more by revenue generation than encouraging safety. Furthermore, as a matter of public policy, judges want to encourage police agencies to focus their traffic enforcement efforts on serious violators since they pose the greatest risk. So while you are correct in black-letter law that "the speed limit is not a suggestion," the practical reality is often quite different.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:47 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,924 times
the difference in 5 mph over the speed limit is the difference between killing a child and braking safely. Check it out.. It is the truth. Slow down folks...don't be in a hurry. Your hurried lives kill people. Most of all yourselves.

Be kind
Be patient
Stay alive

Cheers

Old 10-28-2007, 06:55 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
absolutely they are. duh, lol. likewise WI plates generate revenue in IL. when i go to IL i drive dilligently.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,937 times
Wow, what a consensus. And the whole issue boils down to one thing. Slow Down, I have been driving for over 50 years now, and have yet to get my first speeding ticket, don't get me wrong, this does'nt mean that I am perfect, not by any means, however, I am very conscious of the speedometer reading, and I have time the savings in minutes between doing 60 and 55, and also 65 the fews minutes saved in reaching a destination is so minmute that I have found that it is not worth the extra speed, 9 out of 10 drivers that have flew by me doing 65 in a 55 have inveribly been caught by a signal light and I will end up catching up with them and they have lost the minute or two that they thought they might be gaining. So, people, the ansdwer is very simple, slow down and live and sve that cashin your wallet for an extra meal out or a tourist treat that you might be headed for. Yes, we all live in the fast lane, but, if you just stop and think for a split second, what ever you are doing and where ever you are going, it will wait for you to arrive safe and enjoy.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:36 AM

10 posts, read 37,734 times
“Keep Wisconsin Green” (Bring in Illinois money)

Wisconsin is Illinois largest state park.

We do drive a little slower than most other states.

It must be that there is more to see here than other States.

Yes, we do want your money.

However, we want you to spend it on things you enjoy doing.

So please slow down a little and see the sights of Wisconsin.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin