Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:05 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post

Southern California is very racially tolerant (as a matter of fact, whites are the minority in SC).

so cal is not al that racially tolerant, black(americans) and meztizos/amerindians(mexicans/ mexican-american) are clashing and fighitng for political seats in school boards, local and state politics. and even jobs

theres a growing number of black anti-illegal immigrant people. and its gonna get worse there.. the mayor of La Is corrupt. its not sweet as yo proclaimed.

racially motivated gang murders which is believed to be started by mexicans because they have leverage and became the majority in the late 90's and then retaliations by blacks thus a vicious cycle of violence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 11:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Not in Wisconsin, but New Market,Iowa was a sundown town all the way into the mid 1980's.
No, New Market, Iowa was not a sundown town all the way into the mid-1980s. NO city was a sundown town in the 1980s with sundown provisions having already been illegal for decades. Seriously, drop it already.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:17 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
i wonder how did blacks ruin milwaukee, during urban renewal many of the neighborhoods were left in decay... or is it because

they must have also forgotten that they caused violence as well. a spark in the 1967 riots.

thing about that is there were already ghettos in milwaukee before the heavy influx of blacks from the south
The economy was the main reason for Milwaukee's demise. Lots of cities had riots and crime during the 60's and 70's, but not all of them went into ruins.

I was just giving a sample of what some people actually think. Not all think this way, but there are many that do think this way.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:29 PM

27 posts, read 70,313 times
Well, this is going back about 30 years! My parents didn't go into great detail with me because I was very young. I remember that as a kid (the only brown one, I might add) in my school, other than my brother, I was beginning to be faced with racism, and I just couldn't undertand it. I cried a lot. Their point was that they too had had to go throught racial stuff, but that they knew who they were, stuck to their guns, and made it. I know that it seems archaic. The whole "Sundown town" seemed just as backward to me. I spent some time in San Diego. I must say, I did find the people to be very nice. I live in NJ. Things aren't quite like they were for my parents, but there is still room for improvement. I wish people would just get over it! I mean, how boring would a flower garden be if all of the flowers were the same!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Okay, let's take a second to look at this. I don't know if you are black or white or pink...and I don't care. You are talking about being black in the 1960's. Blacks were being hosed down like dogs, banned from eating in diners, drinking out of separate water fountains, seeing themselves protrayed as dogs, their names slandered, friends and loved ones beaten and killed...just because. I could go on and on. Eventually there is going to be some kind of retaliation. Could you have suffered through that and not felt anger? I am NOT justifying violence, but I do believe that groups of people react to oppressive situations in various ways. We all do. Again, not justifying, but let's put things into perspective. Just a thought.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 PM

I agree. Let's move on from the Sundown thing. History is what it is. Sundown towns existed...period. Whether the Sundown towns were outlawed in the 70s or 80s, doesn't matter. And as for facts, the fact is that they should have never existed in the first place. We should all take on the responsibility of seeing to it that that particular part of history does NOT repeat itself.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
so cal is not al that racially tolerant, black(americans) and meztizos/amerindians(mexicans/ mexican-american) are clashing and fighitng for political seats in school boards, local and state politics. and even jobs

theres a growing number of black anti-illegal immigrant people. and its gonna get worse there.. the mayor of La Is corrupt. its not sweet as yo proclaimed.

racially motivated gang murders which is believed to be started by mexicans because they have leverage and became the majority in the late 90's and then retaliations by blacks thus a vicious cycle of violence
Much of what you say is true, but I disagree with you that the cause of the dissention between Blacks and Hispanics is about racism. Rather, it's a power and position struggle.

The illegal immigrants are competing with the lower-income blacks for jobs and social services. As illegal immigration runs amok in Southern California, social services are strained, low-income, government assisted housing is scarce and entails fierce competition, and gangs are posturing for "turf".

It's not a racial issue. It's more of a class and position struggle.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:10 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Thumbs down Uh... Can we give negative reps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
You live in Georgia, the Capitol of the Confederacy.
It was Richmond, VA.

You should go there sometime. It wouldn't hurt to learn a little more about the South, while you're at it.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:19 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
This is my answer to the OP:If crime and a peaceful places are you main concerns, then Appleton and Madison are you best bets for what your looking for. As for being black, be aware of history, be aware of what is around you now, and press on for your future. I wasn't trying to scare anyone. I just wanted to give some honest facts. If you choose to move to Appleton, do what you can to enjoy yourself and live a great and productive life and be aware. It's not paradise, but not the worst place either.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
It was Richmond, VA.

You should go there sometime. It wouldn't hurt to learn a little more about the South, while you're at it.
I was thinking Atlanta was the original capital city of the CSA, but it was actually Montgomery, Alabama. Richmond served as capital from 1861-1865 and after that it was Danville, Virginia. Sorry, I normally fact check my posts more thoroughly. I'll take a raincheck on visiting the South, besides Virginia is more East Coast than South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin