Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:41 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,618,399 times

Advertisements

Having lived in both areas, I think one is comparing apples to oranges. They are very different. Yes, The Pacific ocean in the PNW is spectacular. The Oregon coastline is one of the worlds greatest glorious beautiful sites to behold. The mountains are as majestic as poets have been praising and the trees are the likes you look up at like a skyscraper they are so big.Views everywhere. It is not like Wisconsin at all. You can not compare the ocean to a lake, or a birch to a redwood, and yes, there is far less to do in the winter in Wisc then in the PNW, which by the way, is not continuel rain that some think it is. Most people think sittting around watching a football game is not an 'activity', but an event to sit and watch. That being said, I love Wisconsin, I dont mind snow, and the lake, (when it is warm enough or not polluted) is great for swimming. I just dont think you can make any comparison. Different strokes. So much of it has to do with what is "home" to you. That is very personal.Both have plusses and minuses. Its what feels right for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 10:45 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,168 times
I've traveled all over the Pacific Northwest. That being said, probably the most spectacular site I've ever seen is the Willamette River, viewed from the upper viewing deck of an Amtrak train on a sunny August morning. It literally took my breath away as we rode through the Willamette wilderness.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:41 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
You can not compare the ocean to a lake, or a birch to a redwood, and yes, there is far less to do in the winter in Wisc then in the PNW, which by the way, is not continuel rain that some think it is. Most people think sittting around watching a football game is not an 'activity', but an event to sit and watch.
What can you do in Oregon or Washington during winter that you can't do in Wisconsin? We might not have real mountains like the Cascades but we still have places to go snowboarding and downhill skiing in addition to cross country skiing, snowshoeing, hunting, icefishing, sturgeon spearing, ice skating, sledding, or anything else you can think of to do in winter. The snow in the PNW is very slushy, and your mountains are tiny compared to the Rockies. If I were to ever choose to go on a ski vacation, I would much rather go to Utah, Colorado, or New Mexico.

Quote:
That being said, I love Wisconsin, I dont mind snow, and the lake, (when it is warm enough or not polluted) is great for swimming.
Like the ocean isn't cold or doesn't get polluted?

Old 12-29-2008, 01:58 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,839 times
Quote:
Having lived in both areas, I think one is comparing apples to oranges. They are very different. Yes, The Pacific ocean in the PNW is spectacular. The Oregon coastline is one of the worlds greatest glorious beautiful sites to behold. The mountains are as majestic as poets have been praising and the trees are the likes you look up at like a skyscraper they are so big.Views everywhere. It is not like Wisconsin at all. You can not compare the ocean to a lake, or a birch to a redwood, and yes, there is far less to do in the winter in Wisc then in the PNW, which by the way, is not continuel rain that some think it is. Most people think sittting around watching a football game is not an 'activity', but an event to sit and watch. That being said, I love Wisconsin, I dont mind snow, and the lake, (when it is warm enough or not polluted) is great for swimming. I just dont think you can make any comparison. Different strokes. So much of it has to do with what is "home" to you. That is very personal.Both have plusses and minuses. Its what feels right for you.
Not to mention that Oregon is so close to SO many other spectacular sights!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Not to mention that Oregon is so close to SO many other spectacular sights!
Such as...?

Old 12-29-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Such as...?
Try Canada, Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Nevada, WA, CA, Utah, AZ for starters...enough said?!?

Old 12-29-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Try Canada, Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Nevada, WA, CA, Utah, AZ for starters...enough said?!?
Huh? Oregon's not exactly close to Alaska, Utah, Montana, or Arizona. That would be like saying Wisconsin is close to New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:18 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,625,905 times
Too funny, Portland has to be at least 2 days to Anchorage, Alaska maybe a little less to Juneau but a ferry ride is involved. I don't consider flying to visit places as easy access or close as you said.

Canada being above the whole U.S., Wisconsin has access to Canada, too, quite easily. Green Bay is a 6 hr. drive to Canada and Oregon isn't next to Canada either so its not like an hour or two drive away.

Last edited by susancruzs; 12-29-2008 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: paragraph

Old 12-29-2008, 05:34 PM

Look I don't care to "internet argue" any further on anything so goofy. If my point was too "broad" for you then let me simplify it. How about Yosemite, Napa, SF, Reno, Big Sur, Kings Canyon, Central Coast, LA, San Diego, Mexico, Seattle, not to mention the potential for cheaper flights and gas for everything I mentioned...enough said

Old 12-29-2008, 06:45 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,618,399 times
Quote:
Look I don't care to "internet argue" any further on anything so goofy. If my point was too "broad" for you then let me simplify it. How about Yosemite, Napa, SF, Reno, Big Sur, Kings Canyon, Central Coast, LA, San Diego, Mexico, Seattle, not to mention the potential for cheaper flights and gas for everything I mentioned...enough said
Gold dust, that part of the world is nothing short of jaw dropping majestic. I think if one has been to or spent
any time in the PNW, one would see the futility of making this argument about saying Wisc is 'better'.
Lets say theres room for everyone in both states, they both have good qualities that make them 'home' to many, and they both have negatives that make them undesirable to others.
Some will never think of anything more wonderful then Wisconsin and will defend it to the end. Can we agree they are different and both wonderful in there own ways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin