Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:47 AM

9 posts, read 60,216 times

Advertisements

We're going to be moving back to WI in 2008. We're looking at building in the Oconomowoc area, but noticed lots in Ixonia are quite a bit less. Is it REALLY that much farther? Pros and cons please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 11:14 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky77 View Post
We're going to be moving back to WI in 2008. We're looking at building in the Oconomowoc area, but noticed lots in Ixonia are quite a bit less. Is it REALLY that much farther? Pros and cons please
Ixonia is about 10 minutes away from Oconomowoc (5 or 6 miles).

I don't know all that much about Ixonia. But yes, overall, I do believe Oconomowoc is over-priced. However, I also LOVE Oconomowoc as a suburb of Milwaukee and it would be very high on my list of favorite suburbs to preferrably live in. However, price is an issue in the area (although some homes less than $200K can still be found - just not tons).

Ixonia I would imagine is smaller and more rural, however, someone may have better insights than me on that area. But if price is a big difference to you, yes, Ixonia isn't all that much farther "out" than Oconomowoc, so it would likely at least be worth looking into.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:00 PM

16 posts, read 73,942 times
EnjoyEP said it pretty well. Oconomowoc is much more suburban in that it is indeed a far western suburb of Milwaukee, while Ixonia is indeed more exurban/rural. Oconomowoc is in Waukesha county while Ixonia is in Jefferson county. Ixonia is also a fraction of the size of Ocon in both population and area. While it is just outside of the metro area, I imagine that if the housing market picks up, within 10 years Ixonia will be encompassed in Milwaukees suburban reaches, but for now Ixonia pretty much remains surrounded by farmland on all sides, though there are a few new developments in various stages happening there. It is yes, about 5-10 min from Ocon. and about 10 min from Watertown to the west. If price were not an issue, I would definitely choose beautiful Oconomowoc, but if a more plain rural atmosphere are fine with you, then by all means consider Ixonia.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:45 AM

15 posts, read 95,969 times
OCONOMOWOC is growing and growing, just read an article in the Journal and it mentioned about while other school districts are cutting and cutting, Oconomowoc is growing and growing! there is a huge development on 67 and I94 called Pabst Farms, WOW, when this is done it will bring in people from Dodge, Jefferson and other surrounding counties for the entertainment and shopping! A new state of the art Auroa Hospital is going in also. Lake Country in my opinion is the most favorable area of the state to be in!

Old 07-20-2007, 01:12 PM

9 posts, read 37,151 times
Oconomowoc is the edge of what is considered a reasonable commute to Milwaukee. You can take either I-94 or 16 into Milwaukee, Pewaukee, Waukesha, etc. There is a new by-pass that allows you to skip Oconomowoc but it still will take about 10 minutes to get from Ixonia to the East edge of Oconomowoc.

Here's how I look at it, how much will you be saving building in Ixonia. Let's say the difference in lot price from Oconomowoc to Ixonia is $50,000. Your payment on that portion of the mortgage is going to be between $350-$400 depending on taxes etc. Can whoever is driving to work justify the extra drive time (ie 10 minute each way perday totaling 20 minutes x 5 days= 100 minutes--> It'd be like paying yourself $1 per minute the difference of the commute...which translates in to being paid $100 per hour based on an hourly rate, when driving the difference.

If the difference in price between the lots is greater, then you will pay yourself even more. Then factor in the money you save not having to deal with emission issues and the lower taxes of Jefferson County...It comes down to how much driving can one stand and sacrifice for saving money in this fashion. If you look at it like you're being paid to drive, it takes the sting out a little bit. The by-pass is a huge plus. The drive is pretty and makes it more enjoyable.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:34 PM

36 posts, read 151,106 times
Well, I hate to be the only one expressing an alternative view, but I will to balance out the opinions here. We all are looking for different things anyway, right, or we'd all live in the same place, and that would be mighty crowded, right? Well, I just moved to Oconomowoc from northwestern Wisconsin a little less than a year ago and have had a totally unfavorable experience here. I have found it too small and remote for my taste. From what the locals tell me, this is not a suburb - it's it's own small town, about 40 miles west of Milwaukee and 50-60 east of Madison. To me, this is an unreasonable commute, not that I'd want to commute to Milwaukee to work anyway. I was used to a commute to work and shopping of a few miles in northwestern Wisconsin. Housing was much more reasonable and there was lots to do. Parks and trails there were unbeatable. I sold my house to move here for a job. I have found a huge cultural difference here from northwestern Wisconsin, where people were much friendlier, neighborly, and more polite. I guess it all depends on our frame of reference. Please don't send me hate mail -- I'm just expressing an alternative view. Oconomowoc isn't for everyone.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:40 PM

537 posts, read 1,939,258 times
Wisconsinwoman you are right. I love living in central WI. I also love Milwaukee but we moved from Chicago to live in a small town so as much as I love to visit I wouldn't live there. That is what is so great about WI there is such diversity that it is easy to find a place to love. I was walking around Target today and everyone was smiling at each other. Have no idea why, but it was a great vibe.
I hope you can move back to northwestern WI. I have been to Ocononowoc and it was a pretty town but that is all I remember about it.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:11 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsinwoman View Post
Well, I hate to be the only one expressing an alternative view, but I will to balance out the opinions here. We all are looking for different things anyway, right, or we'd all live in the same place, and that would be mighty crowded, right? Well, I just moved to Oconomowoc from northwestern Wisconsin a little less than a year ago and have had a totally unfavorable experience here. I have found it too small and remote for my taste. From what the locals tell me, this is not a suburb - it's it's own small town, about 40 miles west of Milwaukee and 50-60 east of Madison. To me, this is an unreasonable commute, not that I'd want to commute to Milwaukee to work anyway. I was used to a commute to work and shopping of a few miles in northwestern Wisconsin. Housing was much more reasonable and there was lots to do. Parks and trails there were unbeatable. I sold my house to move here for a job. I have found a huge cultural difference here from northwestern Wisconsin, where people were much friendlier, neighborly, and more polite. I guess it all depends on our frame of reference. Please don't send me hate mail -- I'm just expressing an alternative view. Oconomowoc isn't for everyone.
I totally respect your opinion but the only thing I am confused about is that you are largely stating your dislike of Ocono stems from it being "too small and remote." I could very much understand that if you were coming from Chicago or Milwaukee or even Madison maybe, but if you are coming from Northern WI, isn't that even more small and remote? I am not trying to even dispute your feelings of course, I guess just trying to understand your legitimate opinions a bit more.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:31 PM

36 posts, read 151,106 times
Smile Oconomowoc

It all depends on your frame of reference. Eau Claire is a well kept secret...if only the job market were better there! Eau Claire, in my opinion has so much more to offer than Oconomowoc. Lower cost of living, low crime, lots to do! Eau Claire is about 68,000 and Oconomowoc 12,000-- too small for me, not much going on and too far from the necessities, namely shopping, and entertainment and things to do. Eau Claire has two fairly large hospitals, a large and excellent community college, the University of Wisconsin and other major businesses, including a variety of shopping -- not just specialty shops like in Oconomowoc -- and and is laid out well for an easy commute around the city. I owned a home in a great location called the East Hill where people took great care in keeping their lawns and gardens up and keeping their older homes remodeled and attractive --- and only had to drive a couple of miles to work, downtown, to grocery shopping, to Menard's, specialty shops -- everything from pet stores to paint stores to the mall...You name it, Eau Claire has it. Lots of coffee shops, good shopping -- everything you need in close proximity. Plus -- lots of outdoor recreation --two nearby lakes easily accessible by all -- not just the wealthy. Two rivers and great parks with lots of trails. There are activities to suit every taste, from live theatre and outdoor concerts to the circus in the summer, the Clydesdales, summer festivals and various community activities, museums, nearby zoos, baseball, farmer's market in the summer...etc.. I have lived in the city -- Houston, Texas to be exact and smaller towns, but my preference is the 65,000 - 90,000 size like Eau Claire where you have the sense of community along with the big city amenities.

Last edited by wisconsinwoman; 08-14-2007 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 11-24-2007, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,454 times
Well, I have in the past lived in both Ixonia and Oconomowoc. I found Oconomowoc to be less freindly than Ixonia. I also found when my mother was very ill that Jefferson County was much more user freindly to get some assistance. This is probably due to the less population. I agree it is about an extra 10 minute commute depending on where you live in Oconomowoc. I (the second time I lived in Ixonia)moved from the wesat side of Oconomowoc so it was less of a commute than 10 minutes. I think it depends what you are comfy with as far as where theaters etc. are. If this is not big in your life, it is well worth the savings to move to Ixonia rather than Oconomowoc. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin