Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,955 times

Advertisements

If all you want to do is shop - then Washington Island is not the place for you.

Relaxing is what the island has to offer. It has great beaches and friendly people. The food and lodging are good and relatively inexpensive. The pace is Definately slower. The island experience is very polarizing - you either love it or you hate it.

It is a unique place and I would 100% recommend checking it out - unless all you like to do is shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 10:18 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,748 times
Smile Door County Options

From a former resident--
I'd move back to DC in a minute, except for the sometimes treacherous winters. The air is clean, the fruits and veggies are the best, life is good in general.

If you want to get away, do take the ferry ride to Washington Island. It's a smaller, less commercialized version of Mac Island, MI. Stay anywhere. The county's size will allow you to get to any town in about 45 minutes. You will love the quaintness, farms, fruit and veggie stands alongside the road (summer), fall colors, etc.

Good luck when visiting or when moving.

PS. We now live in FL and hope to retire in the Smokeys. Why? The winters are just a bit easier than DC and the terrain reminds us so much of our WI homeland.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 AM

537 posts, read 1,940,094 times
Yum, Door County cherries. They are the best.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:12 PM

4 posts, read 13,881 times
Staying on the east side is a little cooler in summer when the wind is off the lake.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:46 PM

19 posts, read 74,931 times
I would actually recommend Egg Harbor. My husband, three kids and I staying at The Landing Resort on the main drag, over the 4th of July and on New Years. VERY nice for only around 100 a night.
In the summer, there are many shops, beaches, and resteraunts all over Door County (preferably in the more nothern areas) that I'm sure you'd enjoy.
Penninsula State Park, 10 mi. north in Fish Creek has a great beach (although the past two yrs. we've gone the shore has been covered in alge, but once you get out about 5 feet it's fine) with a nice gift shop and snack shack. The Eagle Bluff lookout tower offers wonderful views & provides amazing sunset views. Penninsula is also great in the winter, with a giant sledding hill and cross country skiing. Our family camps in August there every year and look forward to it months before.
I hope this helped

Old 03-13-2011, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,767 times
you can try

[url=http://www.doorcountyfinder.com]Door County Finder[/url]

and get some review

Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM

154 posts, read 388,839 times
As said, stay LAKE SIDE! all the stores and shops are Bay side and in summer its nut's, most locals are friendly,the major visitor group is Illinois traffic,
A neat economic clean and neat hotel is,
Innlet Motel & Mike's Port Pub

Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 PM

160 posts, read 454,695 times
I don't think you can go wrong in Door County. It's beautiful there. I pulled a 25 lb salmon out of the lake....what a rush!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 AM

911 posts, read 2,156,280 times
i've never been to door county, but i just wanna mention that the apostle islands are AWESOME if you wanna check them out.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,506 times
My husband is about to relocate from a shipyard in south mississippi to stugen bay what should we expect when moving here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin