Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 09:20 AM

964 posts, read 3,161,438 times

Advertisements

About my job - i work in retail and my primary job is dealing with inventory. It is VERY stressful. But first let me explain what I do. In my job, I have to manage an inventory system. Basically, if the computer tells me something needs to go out on the floor and be stocked, then I pull it and send it out.

Sounds easy right?

Well there's several departments where a lot of them have over 100 items that need to be pulled and sent out to the floor. They want them ALL done for a 100% on a ****ty score card. And I generally have to do it by myself. Then a lot of times, it won't go out either because 1. someone lies and sends it back, 2. someone plugs the item's spot and that throws everything off, 3. the amount of a particular item we have onhand is wrong, or 4. the system(called modulars in store) is calling for it to be set up but it's not.

The system we use is very messed up, and I am usually seeing the same item go out onto the floor each night.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg. I have to lift boxes that are 100x heavier than me, though I'm pretty strong so it's not too bad. It's very HOT in the stockroom where I work, i am constantly in stress, constantly losing my cool with people because they're working on my nerves and know I'm already under enough stress as it is.

I'm only 23 years old, but a lot of days I feel much older. Guys this job is so stressful that I have had "thoughts" in my head that I rather not say.

I'm only here because I'm in school.

But right now I don't think I can last another month. People say oh you have a job. Well, I generally tell them there's more to it than meets the eye. Company has a very high turnover rate, actually in my particular location, even higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 10:06 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
And that's only the tip of the iceberg. I have to lift boxes that are 100x heavier than me, though I'm pretty strong so it's not too bad.
If you're lifting boxes that are 100X heavier than you, and it's "not too bad" -- whoa!!! So if you're between 150 and 200 lbs, you routinely lift boxes that are 15,000 to 20,000 lbs?!?!? Dude, quit this job immediately. You have options, serious options. I don't know if if anyone has ever told you this, but you're the strongest man who has ever lived -- we're talking superhero strong here. PM me if you need a manager. I have plenty of ideas that will make you a millionare by the end of summer.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:33 AM

You know I didn't literally mean 100x heavier than me, right?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
You know I didn't literally mean 100x heavier than me, right?
Oh you didn't mean it literally? Well in that case, here's my honest take. Only you can really make this decision. How are you doing cash-wise? Do you have savings that can cover a gap of unemployment? How are your expenses? Do you live at home? Do you *need* to make money the way those of us with kids and a mortgage need to, or would you be ok without bringing in any cash for awhile? Also, consider this -- how much are you making at this job? If you're killing yourself for $10 an hour, maybe it would be better for you to take an $8 an hour job in retail or food service for awhile.

Whatever you decide, good luck ... whatever those thoughts are, let them go. Everything is temporary. Your situation won't last forever. Somewhere in the future, there is a day on the beach with cool drinks, good friends and plenty of laughs with your name on it. You'll get there before you know it.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:35 PM

Thanks man, and I have some money saved up. But I am in college right now and my classes start in August. I make about 8.80/hour with about $600 bi-weekly, but it's blood money

Anyhow, I'm giving notice that I am leaving with in a week. And I plan on doing work study while doing classes until I find a part time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment