Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:24 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this was always this way or just a recent trend, but I've heard that more and more employers are doing credit checks on people are part of the interview process. I guess the thinking is that if a person has bad credit, they're not as reliable. I don't entirely agree with that, but I can see how employers would draw that conclusion. Here's my question though. Suppose you lost your job, couldn't pay your mortgage and were forced to go into foreclosure. Your credit rating was ruined and now you're interviewing for jobs. You obviously need an income before you can rebuild your credit. But how do you get a job if your credit history is potentially being used against you? Luckily I'm not facing this situation. But I imagine many people out there are. What are they supposed to do, especially if the employer doesn't give them the benefit of the doubt or the chance to give their side of the story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,252 times
I just found out that when you apply to any Insurance Company or for a Credit Card, that a credit line check is run. Every time that is done you Lose "credit points" from your score. It is called a "hard hit"! How fair is that? I wouldn't call it a "hard hit", I would call it "bull ****". What is this world coming to?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:32 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,646,312 times
Not sure why this is the new "norm". For me-it's irrelevant. All they'll see is that my mortgage is paid off-my credit cards too and closed out. I've not had a car loan in 19 years. So what would it show to them? I've no debt and it's paid off? Now if you've never made payments on time-and had things repossessed-then you need to re-look at your spending habits. But it never mattered before where you worked.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 PM

516 posts, read 1,350,452 times
It's none of their business what your credit score is in my opinion. But if you're a convicted felon, then that's a different story.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,658 times
With all the people who are out of work, there is no shortage of people who are otherwise qualified to do the job. No, it's not right, but they could care less about your needs or problems. The only thing they care about is filling the position, and this is just one more way to narrow down the ever growing applicant pool.

Actually there was talk of a bill which would not allow the use of credit information for most employment decisions. I haven't heard anything lately so I don't know if it has passed or not.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
The EEOC considers credit checks for employment a form of descrimination.

There's huge controversy over the use of pre-employment credit checks.

EMPLOYMENT SCREENING RESOURCES (ESR) NEWS: Employment Screening Information for Employers » Controversy over Whether Employers Using Credit Reports for Employment Screening is Discriminatory Increases

The federal government is working on legislation to make it illegal federally:

New Federal Legislation to Affect Pre-employment Credit Checks

It's already illegal in some states for companies to run pre-emploment credit checks:

States stepping up to limit pre-employment credit checks

Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,401,242 times
Besides investment banking or accounting firms, I don't know of any jobs that adhere to checking ones credit. I work in legal and they do not check, but when I worked in banking they did. Their reasoning is if you are credit trouble, you may start to sale trading information that you come across.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
Their reasoning is if you are credit trouble, you may start to sale trading information that you come across.
The risk isn't people who have bad credit. The risk is people who have good credit but are over-extended. The reason is because people who have bad credit typically don't care too much about their credit to steal because of it. They often live within their means paying cash. But people who are over extended with good credit are more likely to steal to protect their good credit and pay their bills.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 PM

531 posts, read 1,177,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The risk isn't people who have bad credit. The risk is people who have good credit but are over-extended. The reason is because people who have bad credit typically don't care too much about their credit to steal because of it. They often live within their means paying cash. But people who are over extended with good credit are more likely to steal to protect their good credit and pay their bills.
why would people with good credit more likely to steal? Many people who have high credit scores with over-extended credit pay off their balances every month and live within their means as well (no lates on their credit reports).

I think only certain industries/professional do credit checks

Old 01-13-2011, 09:32 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBunny View Post
why would people with good credit more likely to steal? Many people who have high credit scores with over-extended credit pay off their balances every month and live within their means as well (no lates on their credit reports).

I think only certain industries/professional do credit checks
If they pay off their balance every month, they are not over-extended.

However, if they have their credit cards maxed out, and are only making the minimum payment (even if they aren't late), then they are over-extended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment