Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 11,852 times

Advertisements

I have a Question for anyone who is able to answer it.
I have noticed that a lot of Employers do Credit Checks.

I have a Federal Tax debt that I have been unable to pay off.
While I have communicated with the IRS and kept every promise I have made to them, It still appears as a Federal Tax Lien on my Credit Report.

Does this count against me when employers see this?
Should I disclose this up front?
Does this prevent me from getting certain types of Jobs?
(Finance/Banking)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 11:41 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornfan22 View Post

While I have communicated with the IRS and kept every promise I have made to them, It still appears as a Federal Tax Lien on my Credit Report.

(Finance/Banking)?
It probably isn't going to help if you're looking for work in the financial sector. However, I wouldn't bring it up. If they ask about it, just tell them the truth.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:43 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
While many employers do check credit, many more don't. And those that do aren't usually looking for the things most consumers are worried about. Remember, they're not loaning you money. So don't volunteer information. You could be disclosing information that they don't want to know, and end up taking yourself out of the running unnecessarily.

There probably are certain jobs that you wouldn't be eligible for, such as a senior position handling large sums of money. Most government job would probably not be a possibility for you. Whatever industry you are in, you should already have a good idea if employers typically consider personal debt during hiring decision-making.

And for those that do look at credit reports, it will certainly look better for you if your credit history reflects that you have a payment plan and have at least paid down part of the debt.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:28 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Except for jobs handling large sums of money, this shouldn't be allowed. And even then I debate it because certain kinds of situations (i.e. medical issues) have no reflection on being able to handle large sums of money. Just an excuse to not have a better way to legitimately "weed people out".

Old 09-30-2010, 07:33 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times
What are they looking for with these credit checks? My mortgage is paid off, I've no credit card debit, no loans. Since I am not considering purchasing anything that will cause me to have a loan-what difference does it make to a employer about the credit checks? I think it's no ones business when applying for a job. I am there to work for them, period. I don't ever remember them doing this before-is it because of all who've defaulted on loans or been unemployed for so long? We used our retirements to make sure our bills have been paid while we've both been out of work. It's no one's business how we did it and shouldn't have any reflection on our job hunting.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:09 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
You won't get a security clearence with that lien. So if the job requires one, you need to keep looking or come up with a way to pay it off.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 AM

720 posts, read 3,007,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornfan22 View Post

(Finance/Banking)?
This shows how stupid "the man" is. They want money from you and then they put a hurdle in front of you getting employment.

The IRS can suck a fat one, does anyone not wish the entire entity would be dissolved?

With todays economy credit checks by employers they are starting to be much more lenient. If something shows up as long as you can show you started some kind of payment plan they wont hold it against you, if you havn't paid a penny and are just beig a deadbeat then you wont get hired. Cant say this is the case for all employers but mine has kind of relaxed on this issue

Old 09-30-2010, 08:54 AM

395 posts, read 1,287,016 times
I think many big institutions do not do a credit check. Its not like you are applying for a loan, you are applying for a job. I wouldnt volunteer information if I were you.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:34 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
I'm on the fence with this one. On one hand because so many employers do this now (a credit check) especially in the financial sector (for obvious reasons), I'd be more inclined to mention it up front and just say that while it's on your credit, you are working towards paying down the debt.

On the other hand, if you're not looking into a financial based position, my inclination is not to mention it unless they bring it up. I don't agree with companies checking your credit. For one it's an inquiry (which too many aren't good) and also, I find that it's an invasion of privacy.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:52 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Keep in mind by law (and I mean Federal law, not state) they have to tell you beforehand that you they are doing a credit check and need to get your permission. Now obviously saying "no" will be a big red flag, but at least at that point you can explain what they are going to find and why.

In some states credit checks have been outlawed for employment, but not in most of them......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment