Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:37 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,151 times

Advertisements

The corporate environment just seems so phony to me( at least where I am). I have people right next to me that complain about the boss all day, then as soon as he/she comes by they firmly plant their lips on his/her ass. How do you sleep at night, having to be so fake and pretentious? It's really quite sickening to watch.

Me, I stay in my cubicle all day and do my work. I don't have the kind of personality that grovels, or converse about meaningless BS like the bosses' golf handicap. It's not like I don't speak or occasionally engage in talk, but I just don't play office politics very well( the looking over your shoulder, whispering about colleagues then smiling in their face, etc). Not my style at all.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 11:54 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1977 View Post
the corporate environment just seems so phony to me( at least where i am). I have people right next to me that complain about the boss all day, then as soon as he/she comes by they firmly plant their lips on his/her ass. How do you sleep at night, having to be so fake and pretentious? It's really quite sickening to watch.

Me, i stay in my cubicle all day and do my work. I don't have the kind of personality that grovels, or converse about meaningless bs like the bosses' golf handicap. It's not like i don't speak or occasionally engage in talk, but i just don't play office politics very well( the looking over your shoulder, whispering about colleagues then smiling in their face, etc). Not my style at all.....
+1

Old 03-24-2012, 12:06 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,008 times
Although I love working in professional environments, I doubt if I'd ever be comfortable in corporate/business environments because I do enjoy the camaraderie and laughter in the workplace as it can relieve stress. I've worked among uptight folks in the past and I'm fortunate that I don't work in those settings anymore.

Although many business offices tend to be uptight, I'm sure there are some businesses where the employees aren't so super serious or uptight. Maybe try out the smaller businesses, which may offer a more informal and less uptight environment.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Its politcal corectness. Want to see the extreme look at government management.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:14 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Billions of people work in the corporate world. It is absurd to paint every single one of them with the same adjective.
Most of us get that the comments were a broad generalization. If the PO had stated that 'every single corporation without exception is uptight', then nobody would have deemed the post worthy of responding to.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:51 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
A lot of "corporate people" are also very snobby. My co-workers at my last job would make fun of me because I ate at Subway all of the time. I asked someone once if he wanted to come get a sandwich with me, and he responded that he would rather eat at Cafe Express because it is more "chic."

About half of them drove BMWs and Mercedes (that they no doubt went heavily into debt over). They also liked to brag about their McMansions and the private schools that their kids attend.

Very status driven people with overinflated egos.

Many so called snobby corporate people are not really much better off than your average Minimum wage worker - the only difference is they have a bigger house and more expensive toys. There still financially dependent on their job - and if they lose their job they will lose there big house and toys very quickly. They might act snobby but its more about putting on a front than reality.

People like this who work in corporate outfits and act all snobby - peer below the surface and you will find lots of grovelling, ass kissing, sucking, working in their free time, job insecurity with no real freedom.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:46 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Go to work, do what you got to do to make money, go home. It's just a job. Don't put it high up on your list of things to worry about.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:59 AM

258 posts, read 160,054 times
I'm moving into "Corporate America" with a Fortune 50 company at middle management level after a long period in the British Army. I'm thinking that the experience is going to be ....... interesting.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:04 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The corporate environment just seems so phony to me( at least where I am). I have people right next to me that complain about the boss all day, then as soon as he/she comes by they firmly plant their lips on his/her ass. How do you sleep at night, having to be so fake and pretentious? It's really quite sickening to watch.

Me, I stay in my cubicle all day and do my work. I don't have the kind of personality that grovels, or converse about meaningless BS like the bosses' golf handicap. It's not like I don't speak or occasionally engage in talk, but I just don't play office politics very well( the looking over your shoulder, whispering about colleagues then smiling in their face, etc). Not my style at all.....
Those type of people should spend 1 or 2 hours a week talking to a therapist and maybe see a psyc doc for anti depressants or anti anxiety meds if they think their jobs so much. I notice people like that (who complain) are complete know it alls and think they are better than everyone else

Old 03-31-2012, 11:28 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Billions of people work in the corporate world. It is absurd to paint every single one of them with the same adjective.
There are only 6.8 billion people on Earth. The number of people who work in the "corporate world" isn't anywhere close to even one billion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment