Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:02 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,297 times

Advertisements

Ok I've stood back and simply just observed long enough. I have been reading the posts and replies on this forum about the current state of economics and employment for the past few weeks since finding this site. Some people, we all know who they are, never have anything productive or positive to say when it comes to being unemployed.

So let's get it out in the open. What exactly makes a person unemployable?

**Reasonable, rational, and thought out replies in lieu of rhetoric is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 05:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Number one reason is that they simply don't want to work. And there are plenty of those, even in the good times.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:45 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
A better question might be what makes a person with good work ethics unemployable?

Before I found my current job earlier this year (which took over a year), I had a Bachelors, 2 Masters Degrees and only slightly over 1 year of formal work experience (and this includes minimum wage jobs.)

All the jobs that required the advanced degree, I did not have the work experience for.

All the jobs that didn't require any experience I was overqualified for.

I was even told by a recruiter "your background is not plug and play" (maybe she was lazy or w/e)

Old 10-11-2010, 07:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Being fat. Looking trashy at the job interview (leave the "hoochie-mama" outfit at home, with the f-me shoes), Acting wiierd, when you are asked what you do during your free time, say something normal, like "yoga", not "I take care of my sick elderrly mother" (automatically, I think you will want time off alot), not having computer skills, lying on your resume, and the less you say, the better. Don't talk to much at a job interview, just answer the questions asked. I have seen people lose jobs that they had in the bag, by talking about some wierd stuff during the job interview...

(sorry if the fat thing offends people, you can argue with me...hate me, but it lis true)

Old 10-11-2010, 07:30 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
Ok I've stood back and simply just observed long enough. I have been reading the posts and replies on this forum about the current state of economics and employment for the past few weeks since finding this site. Some people, we all know who they are, never have anything productive or positive to say when it comes to being unemployed.

So let's get it out in the open. What exactly makes a person unemployable?

**Reasonable, rational, and thought out replies in lieu of rhetoric is greatly appreciated.
How about the very simple fact that there are not enough jobs It's that basic math problem again 5 people for every 1 job leaves 4 people with NO JOB

Before the melt down WE ALL HAD JOBS and WE WERE ALL EMPLOYABLE

I reall don't see the point of this thread It seems like a veiled attempt to again trash the unemployed.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,721 times
It could be a matter of fit. Perhaps those that are struggling to find work are looking at the wrong places. These places may have a culture they perhaps will never fit in with.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:36 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Having a negative attitude

Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,007 times
Not faking it well enough. I interviewed and gave a "trial" work day to several candidates recently. One of the candidates seemed completely uninterested in the job, company, and future. By the end of the day I wanted to shake this person. Why were they there wasting my time if they didn't want to be there? At least pretend that you're interested.

Conversely, don't talk too much. I don't need to know your life story by the end of the interview. I certainly don't need to hear every thought that you think. FIND THE BALANCE!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:22 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Number one reason is that they simply don't want to work. And there are plenty of those, even in the good times.
Yeah.... that's the answer. 10 million people just decided that they would rather stay home and watch Oprah instead of working. The fact that most of the jobs that are available pay minimum wage probably has nothing to do with it.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Yeah.... that's the answer. 10 million people just decided that they would rather stay home and watch Oprah instead of working. The fact that most of the jobs that are available pay minimum wage probably has nothing to do with it.
But there are still lots who collected rather than looking. Some of the unemployed people i know dd no job search related activities because it was saturday-lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment