Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:28 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,776,353 times

Advertisements

Do any of the employees yell back? I would do that before walking out. It might work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 03:29 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,530,131 times
I would stay seven months, and try to get him to fire you. Then you can collect and keep looking. in NY it's easy to get unemployment. You can keep looking now though while you work there. I would. Sounds exactly like my old job that I quit after 8 months. If he flips out on you personally, would you tell him to chill out and tell him off?

Old 10-22-2010, 03:30 PM

This guy is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:44 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,649,902 times
I told my counselor in all the years working in a school district as a bus driver, working with people from all walks of life and mechanics-NEVER did I ever hear the words out of their mouths like these guys did. I told her I'd stick it out as long as I can mentaliy take it-but he gets in my face, I am outta there! Yesterday and I quote"you GD B"stards, I told you your lazy A$$es we going to F'ing be shipped down the F'ing road like the piles of *hit you all give me for work." Yeah, makes me want to go in their to collect a under paid living wage. One woman has been there for 6 years(that's the longest employee I found), still has only 5 days vacation after all this time. I asked her how she puts up with his tirades. She replied "don't look him in the eye when he's yelling at you, don't say a word, just nod and agree with anything he says." In other words, be a door mat. There are only 4 others around my age group-the rest is 19-26 in age. The younger ones don't have a problem with being talked to that way. I can only shake my head and wonder at this younger generation and why they think it's OK to be talked to that way. Today-a employee went to the restroom. Guy yells(as usual) where is such and such. Someone said in the bathroom. So he goes and pounds on the door and tells her to get out or her pay is going to get docked. If you get a personal call at work and it's longer than 2 mins-you get docked for 15 mins pay.

On my way out tonight-the office manager asks if anyone has shown me how to do a time sheet-I've been there since Monday-and I thought the sign in/out sheet was that. Nope-separate entities which I've not had to do since I worked a retail job back in 1982. I feel like I am back in high school working a lousy mall job. I can only pray I hit lotto over the weekend.

I have a great recommendation from my last boss-who I'd worked for since 1989-took time off for raising my kids-he begged me for years to come back. He was wonderful to work for. Never any trouble being late, never out sick, etc. He's been trying to help me find a job in the school transportation industry, but school budgets have made jobs there scarce. He agreed that I've gotten a raw deal, just shattering an ankle and I get thrown into Hades. I get here and I feel no matter what I do, how I do it, it will be under the microscope and scrutinized. I hope something comes along quick-there's not enough Advil and Tums to get through a day here.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,649,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I would stay seven months, and try to get him to fire you. Then you can collect and keep looking. in NY it's easy to get unemployment. You can keep looking now though while you work there. I would. Sounds exactly like my old job that I quit after 8 months. If he flips out on you personally, would you tell him to chill out and tell him off?
It's going to be VERY hard to bite my tongue. My Father never spoke to me that way, my Husband never speaks to me that way. My mouth is going to be hard to stop if he goes nuts on me. I am not a door mat and won't be treated disrespectfully by anyone.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:07 PM

358 posts, read 1,058,254 times
I completely understand about having to work in a workplace that has bosses who can go off the deep end. I also understand about having pride and not willing to let someone, even a boss walk over you. Perhaps walking out, if it comes to that point, would be best for your sanity and your blood pressure. But you might want to consider taking a risk. Since you would definitely lose the job if you walked out, you would have nothing to lose if you were a little snide.

Because I have experienced some rude people and I don't tolerate consideration from anyone, I politely and calmly ask a question like:

"Is there a reason why you're yelling at me?"

Or say "I don't think you need to yell."

Or "I'm the fourth person in this position, right? Why do you think that is? Do you think it's from the very low morale and yelling they have to deal with? No one deserves that in a workplace, especially since a workplace is supposed to be professional."

Until your boss, or anyone, treats you like that, I think you can muster up the courage to work there. A few tips to help include: Don't get involved with bad-mouthing the boss or others, try to ignore the yelling by turning a radio on if you can, or a fan, or sing to yourself, and do your work the best you can.

Good luck.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:20 PM

Tudorjason has some good advice. Stay out of his way but Tudor has some good dialogue set up in case the man decides to flip out. I never got to use that dialogue because I just reached my boiling point, where it was unnecessary. That was my particular situation, yours isn't quite there yet. So you have some time to see what happens and how it develops. If you start to get things like chronic back pain, insomnia or headaches, then don't wait. Make him fire you.Anything chronic is a sign to move it to the next level.He should be easy to set up to get into firing mode, if he has anger issues. Feel free to email me, since I just got finished with that exact situation.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:44 PM

613 posts, read 961,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Tudorjason has some good advice. Stay out of his way but Tudor has some good dialogue set up in case the man decides to flip out. I never got to use that dialogue because I just reached my boiling point, where it was unnecessary. That was my particular situation, yours isn't quite there yet. So you have some time to see what happens and how it develops. If you start to get things like chronic back pain, insomnia or headaches, then don't wait. Make him fire you.Anything chronic is a sign to move it to the next level.He should be easy to set up to get into firing mode, if he has anger issues. Feel free to email me, since I just got finished with that exact situation.
I think you should march down to the unemployment office and tell them your story. By law, if you feel threatened in any way, mentally or physically from this ape, you can quit that job and still collect unemployment. The only problem I see is if you don't have enough credits earned to start again. This is a different circumstance, he's forcing you to quit and he should pay your unemployment benefits.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,012,761 times
Call Michael Moore!

Old 10-23-2010, 06:08 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,429,673 times
Wow...it is a tough call, keep looking for something else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment