Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:47 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times

Advertisements

I finally got a job. Doing medical claim follow ups for non-payment/denials. 10hr. Stinks, but I'll take it-maybe. 1st day at work, within the first half hour-the owner goes ballistic on 4 people. I don't mean just a talking to. I am talking a full our rage that lasted over 1/2 hour. Screaming obscenities that would make a sailor blush. He'd do this off and on all day. He got into the face of a woman in her 50's and it was so bad, I though he'd blow a artery. I was on the phone with a insurance company and the rep commented about it and I told him he had NO idea. His brother is lower key-but the same foul mouth. Anytime they aren't in the building, it's a witch session with the employees. The moral at this place is in the tank. I found I am the 4th person in less than a month that has been hired for this position-and now have the honor for lasting the longest-4 days.

Personally-I want out of here faster than I can run. I told my VESID job counselor to keep looking for a job for me. I've NEVER once worked at a place like this. I came home stressed every day this week to the point my stomach is in knots. I've told my spouse that if he gets in my face and does that, I am calmly picking up my pocketbook and walking out. I may not get unemployment back for working in a hostile work environment, but I'll be darned if I'll let someone get in my face to curse me out. I got NO training at all for this job-it was here's the phone, the call list-dating back to Jan and get to it. Wow. They didn't even give me the phone number to the company on the list when I've been asked to supply it. I wasn't shown where the restroom was until a half hour before the end of the first day. It's run like a three ring circus. I am devastated that I am stuck with this job and have to deal with verbal garbage all day long. They have no heat-the guy knew that it wasn't working Monday-here it is Friday and still no one called to fix it. Here's my benefits-6 month probation. After the 7th month-I accrue 1 day per month up to 5 to earn vacation days to use after my first year. I get medical benefits after 1 year-the family plan is almost $1000-I make $1600 before taxes. There are no personal days-you have to ask the owners and its up to them if you get it. 3 sick days per year. 2 days for a death in your immediate family. No holiday pay. I've stepped so far backwards-I might as well be 20 again. But it might be easier for me to get a job-because I have one now.

All I can hope for is the guy drops when he goes on a tirade. The other employees told me that was actually not a bad rant the first day. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 05:35 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,949 times
Just keep looking and don't quit as you are in a much better position to find a job while employed than if unemployed.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:27 AM

516 posts, read 1,350,221 times
Ditto on what proudmommy said.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:32 AM

889 posts, read 2,713,047 times
Ugh. That's too bad. I wonder what their dad was like? Keep searching and be strong. Go to a health food store and get a quality Valerian herb supplement.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
That sucks-keep looking and keep under the radar...

Old 10-22-2010, 07:26 AM

219 posts, read 562,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
Ugh. That's too bad. I wonder what their dad was like? Keep searching and be strong. Go to a health food store and get a quality Valerian herb supplement.
Better yet, get some herb. Just kidding. That wouldn't look good on a random drug test.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:43 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
This sounds like a peach of a boss and he is really off his meds acting this way.

I would keep searching for another job. Maybe you will get one with a "sane" boss.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:03 AM

613 posts, read 960,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
I finally got a job. Doing medical claim follow ups for non-payment/denials. 10hr. Stinks, but I'll take it-maybe. 1st day at work, within the first half hour-the owner goes ballistic on 4 people. I don't mean just a talking to. I am talking a full our rage that lasted over 1/2 hour. Screaming obscenities that would make a sailor blush. He'd do this off and on all day. He got into the face of a woman in her 50's and it was so bad, I though he'd blow a artery. I was on the phone with a insurance company and the rep commented about it and I told him he had NO idea. His brother is lower key-but the same foul mouth. Anytime they aren't in the building, it's a witch session with the employees. The moral at this place is in the tank. I found I am the 4th person in less than a month that has been hired for this position-and now have the honor for lasting the longest-4 days.

Personally-I want out of here faster than I can run. I told my VESID job counselor to keep looking for a job for me. I've NEVER once worked at a place like this. I came home stressed every day this week to the point my stomach is in knots. I've told my spouse that if he gets in my face and does that, I am calmly picking up my pocketbook and walking out. I may not get unemployment back for working in a hostile work environment, but I'll be darned if I'll let someone get in my face to curse me out. I got NO training at all for this job-it was here's the phone, the call list-dating back to Jan and get to it. Wow. They didn't even give me the phone number to the company on the list when I've been asked to supply it. I wasn't shown where the restroom was until a half hour before the end of the first day. It's run like a three ring circus. I am devastated that I am stuck with this job and have to deal with verbal garbage all day long. They have no heat-the guy knew that it wasn't working Monday-here it is Friday and still no one called to fix it. Here's my benefits-6 month probation. After the 7th month-I accrue 1 day per month up to 5 to earn vacation days to use after my first year. I get medical benefits after 1 year-the family plan is almost $1000-I make $1600 before taxes. There are no personal days-you have to ask the owners and its up to them if you get it. 3 sick days per year. 2 days for a death in your immediate family. No holiday pay. I've stepped so far backwards-I might as well be 20 again. But it might be easier for me to get a job-because I have one now.

All I can hope for is the guy drops when he goes on a tirade. The other employees told me that was actually not a bad rant the first day. Wow.
I would think long and hard before you give up your job. I was watching Good Morning America this am, they said only 29% of CEO's polled were going to hire in 2011. Doom and Gloom.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:14 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
How long have the others been there? I would try as another poster said under the radar and out his way as much as possible.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:17 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How long have the others been there? I would try as another poster said under the radar and out his way as much as possible.
who was that smart poster that said that...oh it was me..
All kidding aside-you are in a bad spot you are new so you don't have vacation time-I would try (and I know this is hard) to suck it up for 6 months, then start looking. You can tell potential employers you are looking for a new challenge but until then it's a paycheck and it's work-I know that doesn't say much but do what you have to do...we are rooting for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment