Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 AM

299 posts, read 1,132,348 times

Advertisements

I'm beginning to freak out. I have been unemployed for almost two years and I am thinking, the longer I am out of work, the more chances I have of NEVER getting hired. Do any of you feel the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
What are you doing for money now, and can you turn that into a new career?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,077 times
yes me too. i dont have enough experience but also not a young gun just out of college

Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
I'm beginning to freak out. I have been unemployed for almost two years and I am thinking, the longer I am out of work, the more chances I have of NEVER getting hired. Do any of you feel the same way?
It's tough. Are you in an area of the country or in an industry where unemployment is way above average?

I know its tough but two years is a very long time.

I was laid off for about 8 months a year or two back. It was really tough. Not only is it tough to explain a gap in employment that long but I also after a while started kind of losing self confidence which I'm sure didn't help on future interviews.

I know people say don't just take something t hat comes along just b/c its a job but at this point your unemployment has probably run out so maybe take a low level job that leaves you flexibility to continue to interview as need be.

I'm not a hiring manager but personally I would look at that as a positivie thing like this guy is not working his dream job but he's out doing something at least and thats a good thing.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM

Well, my husband works but we would do better if I worked as well. Plus, I want my own career. I don't have kids and I don't want to stay at home. I'm going NUTS. I have worked since I was 15 years old and even worked through college. I just have ALWAYS worked. I had to leave my job voluntarily (it was a good job too!) because my husband got work in another state. He couldn't find work where we were and my job couldn't support the two of us.

Avienne,

If I could do my dream job, it would be selling art work that I do... but let's face it, very few people make a living at that kind of thing.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
It's tough. Are you in an area of the country or in an industry where unemployment is way above average?

I know its tough but two years is a very long time.

I was laid off for about 8 months a year or two back. It was really tough. Not only is it tough to explain a gap in employment that long but I also after a while started kind of losing self confidence which I'm sure didn't help on future interviews.

I know people say don't just take something t hat comes along just b/c its a job but at this point your unemployment has probably run out so maybe take a low level job that leaves you flexibility to continue to interview as need be.

I'm not a hiring manager but personally I would look at that as a positivie thing like this guy is not working his dream job but he's out doing something at least and thats a good thing.
That's the hardest is the lack of confidence. I did have a job interview on Monday but I don't know if the guy liked me. He would be the one I would support. He asked me all those stock questions, like tell me a time when you worked through a conflict from beginning to end. The other one was "I get alot of people that want my time and I can't meet with everyone so, how would you say no to these people"?

I just didn't feel like I was up to par. I'm pretty hard on myself.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:13 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
If I could do my dream job, it would be selling art work that I do... but let's face it, very few people make a living at that kind of thing.
True, that. My father was an artist, so I know how tough it is. Most artists have to get a job. His was in advertising. Creative, but still, not "his" art.

If you're not doing anything to bring in money now, you need to put your creativity to good use. I don't know what you were doing before, but if it's not an option where you live now, you've got two choices: Try to get a job in a new field, or go into business for yourself.

Have you ever done graphic design?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
I have been unemployed for almost two years and I am thinking, the longer I am out of work, the more chances I have of NEVER getting hired.

Is the real estate analogy "The longer my house doesn't sell [because it is over priced], the less likely it will never sell."?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:41 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Quote:
Well, my husband works but we would do better if I worked as well. Plus, I want my own career. I don't have kids and I don't want to stay at home. I'm going NUTS. I have worked since I was 15 years old and even worked through college. I just have ALWAYS worked. I had to leave my job voluntarily (it was a good job too!) because my husband got work in another state. He couldn't find work where we were and my job couldn't support the two of us.

Avienne,

I think the recession is very hard on people with SOME skills and some experience--I mean you hear 'everyone' crying foul but people 40-50, we've been hit hard..

I stopped looking last November. This year I am homeschooling so I don't have to get a job except perhaps a part time job. My husband has been out of work 4 months....he has applied to over 150 jobs ALL over, he is skilled and has a good work history.

WTF is up?? It's nuts out there.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is the real estate analogy "The longer my house doesn't sell [because it is over priced], the less likely it will never sell."?
Absolutely not. We bought a house a year and a half ago. We sold our condo in Oregon literally 2 months before the crash. We rented a cheap apartment while the economy was tanking and bought here in California for a "decent" price.

We aren't worried about that right now although, the prices may have dropped a little more since we bought this house. We might take a small hit if we sold now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment