Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:18 PM

305 posts, read 1,005,079 times

Advertisements

I have 2 job offers I started one to give it a week to see how the office was and now I need to make a choice

the first one I accepted first because it offer more $ but the benefits are the same. The first one has health benefits but the expense is so high I can afford the family coverage that I need. The first one seems to have a very rude and unprofessional work environment, and it seems to be the same environment I just left in that everyone want to throw each other under the bus to impress the new manager. The new manager also seem in secure in that when she interview me she said she was firing the other person because this individual yelled at her, but on my 2nd day of work, she messed up a report that the other employee put together before she fired him and yelled at me because I didnt know how to tell her to fix it. After this incident she advertised my position once more so she must be still looking. Also in this 1st position I am the 5th employee in less than 5 months in this position, in which all have quite and 1 was fired so I am told

The second one is such a great opportunity it is close to my home and will give me a 50% match to my 401K at a lower salary but will also give me and my family life insurance and health benefits ( and I could afford the lesser of the salary ) Also the company will start my benefits after 30 days and I have a good relationship that was already started with the manager before I interviewed for the job. Now if I stayed with this company for 1 to 2 years I could also move up or move on and make more more than I did with both position in that the 2nd job will be paying for my degree and license after only 6 months

MY questions is this do employers first of all continue to interview for a position after it is filled?

With all these variables between offer 1 and offer 2 what offer would you take
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 03:25 PM

935 posts, read 2,412,155 times
Is the higher pay worth the verbal abuse and potential risk of getting fired/quitting soon? Does the other job have a better turnover rate? Personally, the second one sounds better to me since there's a chance of getting promoted and a chance of free or discounted tuition for a degree or license. However, I think it is up to you to decide which is worth more.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
Is the higher pay worth the verbal abuse and potential risk of getting fired/quitting soon? Does the other job have a better turnover rate? Personally, the second one sounds better to me since there's a chance of getting promoted and a chance of free or discounted tuition for a degree or license. However, I think it is up to you to decide which is worth more.

The first one is not worth the abuse nor the potential risk of getting fired/quitting. In fact I am so unhappy with them already I dont even want to go in monday and to feel this way already is just not worth it.

I always said I wanted to make a certain salary and when they offer that to me I was excited but what is the use when I have to walk on pins and needles eventually something will become unglue. I am leanding more toward the 2nd offer but I just want to get everyone input as well

thanks

Old 12-05-2010, 03:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
It seems like a no-brainer; the second offer sounds better.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,770,228 times
Was this thread supposed to be a serious question? With the number of exclamation marks in the title, jobs 1 and 2 should be neck and neck!

Everything about job 1 stinks very badly! Even the sole bright spot of higher pay is meaningless if you're not there in a month like everyone before you. What am I missing here? It's like trying to decide if I should rip my teeth out with pliers, or should I brush my teeth.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,426,444 times
Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,696,595 times
Take the 2nd offer; follow your instincts. I also recommend that you attend an adult education class to help you improve your writing skills. I mean this with the best of intentions; I think your writing skills may interfere with your future promotional opportunities. Good luck!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:50 AM

419 posts, read 869,041 times
Come on, you really need help with this? If you're feeling a bit guilty for wanting to pass up more money, quit stressing. The second job is closer to home (less gas $$$ needed) and your degree will be paid for. Heck, just liking where you work is enough for me to say pass up that first job.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:00 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,476,977 times
No brainer - second job. I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Take the 2nd offer; follow your instincts. I also recommend that you attend an adult education class to help you improve your writing skills. I mean this with the best of intentions; I think your writing skills may interfere with your future promotional opportunities. Good luck!
Thanks but I wasn't checking my grammar. Normally if I am at work I would have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment