Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 06:27 PM

345 posts, read 998,419 times

Advertisements

I wish you well, however, keep your expectations low. Hang on as long as you can.

Ultimately, the woman's manager did not manage her, which allowed with situation to escalate to the level it did. Managers have a way of sticking together regardless what is right or legal.

EEOC has to investigate complaints, but as mentioned by another poster(s), I don't see a hostile work environment here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 07:22 PM

22 posts, read 60,655 times
FW, boy did you hit the nail on the head. That was one of the reasons we're bringing in the EEOC because of the lack of action on the General Manager's part. Turns out she has a "conflict of interest" because she knows this manager outside the work place. Funny how she didn't bring that up while protecting the girl, but did when asked to help stop the abuse.

However, she's just acting General Manager and will do exactly what the two lawyers will tell her to do. They won't take a chance of my husband getting a cent more (or anything for that matter) if they can help it. While at the same time they won't burn him either. The natives are restless and HR even commented when my husband agreed to come back to help keep things in order, "Thank goodness! The staffs got really gittery when you didn't show up on Monday. We sure do appreciate it." But we're not fooled, his computer was fried when he came in today and all the servers had been downloaded over the week end for "some" reason. Understand this is BEFORE he had filed anything with them. They even had a signed evaluation. We think it's her, no one has seen or heard from her this week. Actually, I'm kind of concerned about her. I hope they tell him they made contact with her today.

Actually not worried about proving the hostile work environment as that is not our claim. Read the last posting I did on this topic. Would love your opinion

Old 12-30-2010, 05:37 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,938,535 times
if you dont want to risk losing the lifetime insurance, id tell him to suck it up for one more year. after that, then I would go after them and expose whats going on.

just make sure he gets fired and doesn't quit. if he quits he won't be able to get unemployment.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:22 PM

181 posts, read 304,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Frost View Post
To make a very long story short, my husband is in a hostile work environment. His supervisor commonly humiliates, undermines and belittles most all the men she deals with, while being a perfect professional to all the females. She picks on my husband most of all and seems to be "out to get him."

There's tons to tell but the most pertinent information is he went into HR 2 months ago and discussed making an official complaint. He agreed to back off and instead sat down with her and tried to give her the benefit of the doubt and "work things out". All seemed well. Then the day before the Christmas break she gives him a devastating evaluation. To keep this short, he can easily prove she's lying with documentation and high level witnesses. One fact to show the simplicity that this was an act of retaliation is the evaluation was due last April. She made it retroactive for 2009-2010 and gave it to him Dec 23, 2010.

We think he should go to the EEOC and file a complaint. Then go into HR and ask, "Does the company believe these things about me?" But we're not really sure what to do beyond that. Should he profess his obvious innocence and start spelling out the evidence they can find to prove she is lying? Should he not talk to them at all and just give them an official letter? We're pretty certain as soon as those above her realize what she's done they're going to freak out. The time period this evaluation covers included my husband getting an award from a VERY famous vendor as having the one of the best (what he does) in the WORLD, it was a huge event. He was also voted as best employee of the quarter by his peers, in 30 years never before given to a manager, always went to a union member. And as I said above, he made them aware (nothing written) of his suspicions of her trouble abusing men so they'll know this is a huge mess. Had she not been so foolish to take this retaliatory action and had the issue come up beyond him expressing concern, they probably would have just gotten rid of both of them. A big reason why he never put anything in writing.

Should he keep his mouth shut and just let the EEOC loose? He realizes now he has no choice but to officially expose the hostile work environment situation, but he isn't certain what exactly to do when he goes in on Monday morning. He will not continue to work under her no matter what. Whether he can prove anything or not it is unbearable for him to suffer her any longer. That means we lose our lifetime insurance we would have gotten if he could just last one more year. He had planned to be there 10 more years before she became his supervisor. One of his witnesses is actually going to be the man that headed the company who is now retired. Like an idiot her boldest lie involved him and he valued my husband as one of his top performers.

Should he trust them if they offer to fire her and beg him to stay. Understand, whether he can prove it or not this IS a hostile work environment and he's not the only male she's harmed. The EEOC will have the logged complaint, as soon as they start to investigate the guys are going to come out of the woodwork. We believe he HAS to involve the EEOC now for he needs their protection while they do an unbiased, third party investigation. They can fire him for no reason at all as he is not part of the union. There is no doubt she is the only person in his entire career there he's ever had trouble and they know that and have always expressed their support of him. But for all their talk they never did anything about her abusive actions and now this has happened.

Unfortunately we need fast answers.
I think your only hope is a lawyer and they want there money up front in these kind of cases, I also wouldn't put to much hope in the EEOC, they are there just to give you false hope, you will see what I mean with what they put you thru.With the right people on your side you can win anything, but at what cost?

Old 10-24-2011, 02:33 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,872,294 times
Gosh this sounds like a tough situation! Sorry to hear about it. My mom was harassed brutally by her immediate supervisor at a former job in the early 90s. She sued for unemployment on the grounds of harassment and won (the owner of the company dropped her name to another company who was looking for a new employee and she ended up working there for years.) I think this is the exception and not the rule though. Most of the time it seems like it takes quite a bit to fight a bigger guy (literally and figuratively).

Old 10-24-2011, 06:12 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,865,811 times
Q U I T ! ! ! !

Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,683,335 times
one thing for sure, either he or she will be supervisor next year. use union 1st. then get past personality find out what it is that he is failing to do. work on that work out a progress plan with supervisor. document everything work his posterior off to make sure he progresses in his weak areas.
i assume he is AA or you would not mention EEOC. if he is use EEOC last not first.
use union 1st and set up a progress plan with supervisor. documentation is critical.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:44 AM

926 posts, read 1,261,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Frost View Post
FW, boy did you hit the nail on the head. That was one of the reasons we're bringing in the EEOC because of the lack of action on the General Manager's part. Turns out she has a "conflict of interest" because she knows this manager outside the work place. Funny how she didn't bring that up while protecting the girl, but did when asked to help stop the abuse.

However, she's just acting General Manager and will do exactly what the two lawyers will tell her to do. They won't take a chance of my husband getting a cent more (or anything for that matter) if they can help it. While at the same time they won't burn him either. The natives are restless and HR even commented when my husband agreed to come back to help keep things in order, "Thank goodness! The staffs got really gittery when you didn't show up on Monday. We sure do appreciate it." But we're not fooled, his computer was fried when he came in today and all the servers had been downloaded over the week end for "some" reason. Understand this is BEFORE he had filed anything with them. They even had a signed evaluation. We think it's her, no one has seen or heard from her this week. Actually, I'm kind of concerned about her. I hope they tell him they made contact with her today.

Actually not worried about proving the hostile work environment as that is not our claim. Read the last posting I did on this topic. Would love your opinion

Curious. Has this been resolved?

Old 10-26-2011, 08:58 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,693,148 times
The OP continued the story here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...e-winning.html

Said her husband resigned.

And hasn't been back since.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 PM

12,124 posts, read 23,424,227 times
I think it is a little late to give advice on a 10 month old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment