Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I think it is a little late to give advice on a 10 month old thread.
Who's giving advice? The question posed was "has this been resolved?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,110 times
Unless you have an attorney, a board that will hear your complain and review all facts or have a union to go to, your best bet is to be looking for a new job. In political job environments, supervisors may have a very good relationship with their bosses and nothing is done and the burden of proof is left with the subordinate.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
The supervisor is a bully. But crafty, no doubt she has made the OP's husband miserable in many subtle ways. The guy is really in a lose/lose situation for him. He either kowtows to the bullying, which will escalate it...all he can do is the EEO claim, or mediation, but it won't fix the problems...

This is how work place bullying can destroy lives...been there, lived it...sorry you are experiencing this.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoatpa View Post
I went through a similar problem in 1994 only I am male and the manager was male too. Let me tell you what is going to happen if you go to HR, dept of labor or whoever you go to and complain. Your husband is going to be fired and NOTHING will be done to the manager. Oh, and don't worry, they will have themselves covered on his firing too. No matter how good a job he does, how important he thinks he is and how many awards he has, it doesn't matter. These companies ALWAYS protect their managers and not the employee.

Sadly. the best thing he can do is bite his tongue and start sending resume's out immediately. He can vent in his exit interview but it won't do any good either. It's sad, but this goes on every day in corporate america and the one on the receiving end of the treatment is never the winner here. Good luck.
Yeah, it's interesting. I think this response has a lot of truth to it. It's almost like we are put into difficult situations and the challenge is to really NOT respond the way we'd like, but to accept the BS and move on. I am struggling with that right now, having just quit a job where I was being forced to quit. I am relieved I am out of there, but I still wonder if I can do anything to report them or document their unethical behavior. Lawyers have told me I don't have anything they can grab onto, yet I know what I experienced. It was awful. I want peace around this, and to see that they don't do this to someone else. Wishful thinking.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:50 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay121 View Post
Yeah, it's interesting. I think this response has a lot of truth to it. It's almost like we are put into difficult situations and the challenge is to really NOT respond the way we'd like, but to accept the BS and move on. I am struggling with that right now, having just quit a job where I was being forced to quit. I am relieved I am out of there, but I still wonder if I can do anything to report them or document their unethical behavior. Lawyers have told me I don't have anything they can grab onto, yet I know what I experienced. It was awful. I want peace around this, and to see that they don't do this to someone else. Wishful thinking.
I think I ran into this with my last job. Looking back I might have been pressured to resign for possibly illegal reasons but I have no documentation to prove it. Out here labor law is almost never enforced unless it's a real egregious offense. This kind of crap goes on all the time all over. I think that there needs to be more enforcement of the law and better laws to boot. No wonder so many people get sick of it and go out on their own.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 862 times
Default going through same situation

I read your post and i could not help but notice the simularitys of the situation i am currently involved in . I am a supervisor at a hotel where i live. When i first started i was a housekeeper then moved up. There is an employee at my job who i assume feels threatened by me she as well is a supervisor. Since my promotion she has done nothing but make my work expierence horrible. She constantlybfinds things to tell my general manager..i have witnesses they say she has told them she dose not like me and she is "gunning" for me. My general manager is not a very good leader she also involves herself in the drama and gossip that revolves around my work place.instead of taking charge and executing the problem she promotes it. I love my job and i have worked so hard and made so many sacrifices for my job. I have never missed a day of work or been late. But i am getting the imprresion that dose not matter. Its more her word over mine. Im tired of the whispers, and the stares. And the harrasment i am exposed to at work what can i do to make this stop.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolette View Post
I read your post and i could not help but notice the simularitys of the situation i am currently involved in . I am a supervisor at a hotel where i live. When i first started i was a housekeeper then moved up. There is an employee at my job who i assume feels threatened by me she as well is a supervisor. Since my promotion she has done nothing but make my work expierence horrible. She constantlybfinds things to tell my general manager..i have witnesses they say she has told them she dose not like me and she is "gunning" for me. My general manager is not a very good leader she also involves herself in the drama and gossip that revolves around my work place.instead of taking charge and executing the problem she promotes it. I love my job and i have worked so hard and made so many sacrifices for my job. I have never missed a day of work or been late. But i am getting the imprresion that dose not matter. Its more her word over mine. Im tired of the whispers, and the stares. And the harrasment i am exposed to at work what can i do to make this stop.
All you can do is not react to this person's drama and rise above it best you can since it looks like this person is definitely targeting your job. Good luck, just ignore the drama as much as possible. I don't know if you have someone else (another higher manager) at your company you can go to about your concerns, but if you do, just do that with caution.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolette View Post
Sorry you are going through this! I would document everything as it happens with her-dates, times, witnesses. Maybe even consider going to the HR person and your supervisor with this and let them in on what is happening. If you do get let go at least you'll have details of the process that led up to it.

Re the OP...wondering why no one recommended a class action lawsuit in this situation as she said many other male employees had gone through this with this manager?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment