Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 04:40 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syoware View Post
you'd be surprised how much working filling in online applications are. I'd be 10x easier to mass-post resumes
Absolutely. Most Fortune500 and even some smaller companies have this ATS (Applicant Tracking System) on their websites. You upload your resume and then have to enter each field individually, like data entry into DOS system 20 years ago, before the Internet. What is the point of uploading if the computerized tracker/reader doesn't pick up the fields? It's a waste of time to manually re-enter each and every field. You have to have "the right" keywords. For that one has to "know the right keywords." You can only do that if you've been in the same industry 15 years or more, or are an "expert" in that field. Many people have a succession of different career over one lifetime so you can't "know all the right keywords." Many skills are transferable and many fields are interrelated but the ATS screens qualified people out because of the keywords thing. It's antiquated, time consuming and doesn't take into consideration that people have different resume styles and wording. It further encourages more HR laziness in not actually glancing/looking (forget reading) at resumes.Further, after doing all that uploading and manually entering fields, NOBODY EVER GETS BACK TO YOU. THEY SEND YOU A GENERATED MASS EMAIL RESPONSE AND THAT'S IT. COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME. The purpose of a resume is to get you the job. My solution has been to ignore the application process that involves ATS company website applying. I either find the name/fax/email of the hiring decision makers and fax or email my application materials to them personally. If they really need to hire, they will refer it to HR; they will definitely see the resume whether they like it or not. Or, I find companies that don't use ATS. ATS and the black hole it creates is why we have an overabundance of qualified people who can't find jobs, among other reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 04:51 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Keep hoping, hopefulone. Good luck.
I don't need luck. I have a job. And get this, I got it by filling out an online application. So much for your broad statement that applying online doesn't work.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:42 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Hey guys,

I found this thread somewhat interesting in a mildly amusing way. While some might think christianguitarist27 is a bit of a fruitloop, I think he is probably good at what he does, sales and its related business primarily.

Being a christian myself I do try to help ppl on CD. Though I don't type 70 WPM, but I do try to give helpful advice when I have the time. Today I'm home from work with a cold. Hence I'm reading/responding to this thread CD. I am also a hiring manager for top forune 500 technology company. So maybe I can address things from more of a corporate perspective.

For our company and others like it we require you to apply online through our corporate website. With large companies we have fully computerized HR systems which must be used if you ever want to work for us. There are no excpetions or special dude/bro deals or instant interview type offers made. Policies must be followed corporately mandated and regulated. I also work indirectly for the Gov't and the same applies for federal jobs. So there is a reason in these cases to follow standard procedures. We service a different type of client and have a different work force.

Now that said some of the principles which christianguitarist27 still apply in the corporate world like taking initiative, selling yourself and your skills, standing out from the crowd (sea of resumes), being honest and forthright, persistant and polite (not a pest), thinking outside the box, etc... Part of these skills come more naturally to some, while others can be taught them, still others learn them through the school of hard knocks. I kind of learned them as I went through all these avenues.

Lets start with #1 for our company:

1. Experience: Experience is King, especially in times like these in a down market. What can you do (have you done) and is it relavant at all to the position you are applying for?

2. Demonstration of initiative: Are you a go getter? Do you like making things happen, watching things happen or asking what happened? If you have intiative how has that been demonstrated in previous positions you've held? Do you wait for people to come to you and or can you take ideas/ business proposal to management, then execute a plan of action. Can you work independently if required?

3. Sales: I know, I know your not in sales or looking for a sales job. Well, I'm not either. But whether you realize it or not you are selling us your skills. Do you believe in yourself, have confidence in your skills, abilities and benefit you would provide our company if we hired you. Are you enthusiastic, upbeat, positive, a problem solver (vs. creator, drama king/queen).

4. Education: Did you work hard in school toward a goal? If so did you achieve it? I can tell you that in the corporate world education and training are important. And depending on the position you cannot even be considered unless you have the appropriate training. I know that for the OP is was not needed. And hats off to him for making it in his business ventures. But I'm giving you the other side of the corporate coin. Now that said I can tell you that I helped hire someone who had a degree in a non- related field (phsychology) because he had the others qualities mentioned here.

5. Professionalism: this covers many areas but included some key components:
a. Resume: perhaps the most important. Many ppl have good raw skills. But they don't know how to present them in a accurate, concise and articualte fashion for managers to notice. Have you heard the term - you never get a second chance to make a good first impression. Well its true. I review hundreds of resumes, and if yours doesn't jump at me and is hard to read/follow in terms of your ability to fill the position I am trying to hire for then there is a problem. Key here, tailor the resume. Don't send your generic version which applies for any job and has an unrelated professional objective, etc... Instead of the shotgun approach, target jobs you are most interested in and spend more time/effort demonstrating why you would be a good fit. Put your contact information on it and follow up when called or emailed. Don't lie about education/experience! We'll catch it and it will be grounds for automatic dismissal as a candidate.
b. The Interview: Personal presentation and speech. Don't come in dressed in casual clothes and use slang in the interview. Anticipate questions in the interview and provide additional information about your professional achievements. Tell a story about what you have done and make it relavant to the current job.

6. Perisistance: don't give up or sell yourself short. If you see a job that looks interesting which you think you could possibly do, but then you read the requirements and you don't have all of them, don't give up. Serioulsy this is an important one. I've never had 100% of the requirements for the positions I've held. But I still applied and whoever was hiring saw that I was the best candidate for the job. Maybe I had 70-80% of the requirements, but then additional skills, qualities they were looking for. Or maybe the next guy in line on had 68%. You'll never know unless you try.

If you say you have done all the above and still have problems, consider reinventing yourself. Think outside the box you are currently in. Maybe expand your job type focus. For example the psychology major applying for technical positions because he had a knack for computers. Expand your geographic net. Consider relocating for the right opportunity. Consider taking a lower paying job temporarily which allows you to gain valuable Experience you are lacking (see #1). For college students this means interships or part-time jobs which provide relevant exeperience, not working at the mall or student bookstore. Lastly consider service to your country. If not interested in the military consider civil service work. While we are going through bugetary issues work still needs to get done. Take a look here - http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/

I hope that helps some looking at the corporate side of things here.

[mod cut-- off topic]

Derek

Last edited by observer53; 02-12-2011 at 06:33 AM..

Old 02-11-2011, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianguitarist27 View Post
And it was Salery! So I was 19 years old, making just under $500/week after taxes! And it was Salery, no hours. I didn't clock in- it was the exact same pay check every time regardless of how many hours you work. Even if you miss a day- & we got 3 weeks off for Christmas, & all the hollidays off too- got paid for them.

Dude, I was 19.. Making the kind of money that some adults make. And all cause of my hard efforts to searching for a job like that. It didn't land in my lap.
I thought when you were 19 you were an adult. Maybe it was differant for me. Where I live adults that make $500 a week don't have adult kind of jobs. Then again I was making $13 an hour when I was 18 working in the oil fields. Now that is work. If you are looking for a job, maybe another course of action is to get an education in something that pays. I am in the healthcare field now and I know people that are just a few years out of high school making $36 an hour working as RN's at our hospital. That would be the base pay as they make much more per an hour average. What that means is that in Healthcare many people work more than an 8 hour shift. If you work a 12 hour shift you would be paid your base for the first 8 and then 1.5 to 2 X your base after 8 hours. I know plenty of people making $80,000, $100,000, $120,000 working at the hospital and a lot of them are in their early 20's.

Maybe instead of trying to get a job at Taco Bell a better bet would be getting an education in a high paying field. I have an idea, Lab Scientist. Starting pay at my hospital is $35 an hour. Some people are making $100 an hour and working long days. Not a lot of people are wanting to become Lab Scientist and many will be retiring soon. I recomend it to someone starting out.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 PM

543 posts, read 3,077,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am in the healthcare field now and I know people that are just a few years out of high school making $36 an hour working as RN's at our hospital. That would be the base pay as they make much more per an hour average. What that means is that in Healthcare many people work more than an 8 hour shift. If you work a 12 hour shift you would be paid your base for the first 8 and then 1.5 to 2 X your base after 8 hours. I know plenty of people making $80,000, $100,000, $120,000 working at the hospital and a lot of them are in their early 20's.

Maybe instead of trying to get a job at Taco Bell a better bet would be getting an education in a high paying field. I have an idea, Lab Scientist. Starting pay at my hospital is $35 an hour. Some people are making $100 an hour and working long days. Not a lot of people are wanting to become Lab Scientist and many will be retiring soon. I recomend it to someone starting out.
Do you have to graduate from 4-yr institution to get that much money? If you get Associate degree in Nursing how much would you make? How do you become a Lab Scientist?

Old 02-13-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
Do you have to graduate from 4-yr institution to get that much money? If you get Associate degree in Nursing how much would you make? How do you become a Lab Scientist?
You need a Bachelor of Science and heavy on the science to get into a Lab Scientist job. Also one small caveat, you need to be accepted to a program and it is limited to a few people. Still few are going into it and the time will come shortly when the dollars will increase because of so few people.

With Nursing you will need to complete your core pre reqs before you can enter the program. Some programs also want you to earn your Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) designation as well. Also many programs are impacted with many people trying to get into the program creating a waiting list and with many programs a lottery system. It helps to have a 4 year degree in any dicipline and work in a hospital before entering the program. Both would help put you to the front of the line and chances are will cut a 2 year wait down to a 6 month or less wait. Our RN's start at $33 an hour. After 6 months they are up to $36 an hour. After a year they can move into a dicipline within Nursing, get another $3 or more an hour. Not all diciplines pay the same. An ICU nurse can make an additional $5 an hour on top of the base. Also a surgery nurse can make up to $7 an hour to be on call for the evening or weekend. Lets say your at home hanging out, you could be getting paid for that. Then again you can't drink and you need to be at the hospital within a reasonable amount of time if you are called in. Most pay that I mentioned is base pay though. Remember with Nursing chances are you will work a 12 hour day. Your base is for the 1st 8 hours. We pay 2X pay after 8 hours. Also if you are called in to work another day over your 3 day work week you will be paid 2X base for the entire 12 hour shift. many times when it is busy you may be asked to work an additional 4 hours on top of the 12.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 PM

326 posts, read 813,532 times
did you go to college?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
did you go to college?
Who are you asking? The OP? I for one did go to college and have the student loan debt to prove it. LOL

Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I don't need luck. I have a job. And get this, I got it by filling out an online application. So much for your broad statement that applying online doesn't work.
I got my current job with an online application too... go figure.

Of course I wasn't just randomly applying for crap, since I'm in a specific line of work (with the degree to go along) - but even before I was in this field, I got a couple of jobs through online or paper applications. Cold calling?? Never tried that, but I doubt it would be useful in what I typically do. It would go something like this: "Hello, city of San Francisco? Do you have any library openings?" "Ummmm, you can check the city/county website for openings & apply online. Thanks for calling." *click*

Old 02-18-2011, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,616 times
Thank you. I needed to hear/read this. I wish you all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment