Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:03 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,955,265 times

Advertisements

I would contact the new employer and explain the situation and ask them to expedite the paperwork so you can have a signed agreement and start date before your current boss leaves for surgery. Then give your current employer notice the minute everything is signed, thereby giving them as much time as possible to handle the transfer of work and information before he leaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 PM

73 posts, read 589,165 times
As others have said, discuss the start date with the new employer, explaining the circumstances and the timing with them. Some employers will be fine with you starting a month from now instead of two weeks, and others won't, it just depends on their situation.

If you get the official written offer before your boss goes into the hospital I would turn in your notice right away, but make your last day a week or so after your boss gets back so you can go over things before you leave. If you can't do it before your boss goes in, or if the hospital stay goes longer than expected, I would turn in your notice while the boss is out and don't feel bad about it. It's not callous, it's just unfortunate timing that couldn't be avoided, and they will hopefully understand that.

A friend of mine had to give notice over the phone to his boss who was out of the office for 3 weeks for a family matter (sent the written notice to HR in his boss' absence) That wasn't how he wanted to do it, but he had a set start date and he couldn't wait around until his boss got back. Stuff happens and we have to move forward with our plans regardless of the inconveniences.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 PM

2,638 posts, read 3,175,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well do you know what the "procedures" are? Because that can impact the recovery.

It really matters as to whether he is having a minor surgery or did he get his knee replaced?

Also have you discussed this with the new company? They may be willing to wait a week or two, but not a month or two.

And they could end up going with their 2nd choice.
But his current employer is a major customer of their's. That has a bearing on this too.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 AM

563 posts, read 1,273,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Except the new employer may not be willing to wait, especially if this turns into a situation where the boss stays in the hospital longer or ends up on disability at home.

The new company will go with another candidate if this goes on for too long.

The timing is unfortunate, but giving at least two weeks notice is not abandoning a job.

OP needs to feel out the situation and see the reaction of the new company and then decide what to do.

I completely agree with this. Hell, I'd leave my job of nearly 20 years tomorrow with no notice at all if another one came calling that paid me about the same or better.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 AM

987 posts, read 1,391,057 times
I left my job at age 49 when an early retirement was offered to those who qualified which I did and so I took their little pension, sold everything we owned, moved and lived on it overseas in the Philippines, our roots and we never had to work ever again!
15 years later we're still here enjoying our retirement and my small pension has quadrupled after receiving the rest of my pensions at age 60 and 62! "Oh what a feeling"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment