Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 05:11 PM

305 posts, read 991,668 times

Advertisements

Is it common courtesy to either send a card or call if someone is refused for a job? Do they owe you an explanation if you were not chosen especially if you had all the qualification? Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 05:15 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post
Is it common courtesy to either send a card or call if someone is refused for a job? Do they owe you an explanation if you were not chosen especially if you had all the qualification? Any opinions?
Send a card? Like a condolences card? No, that's not courtesy. That's weird.

It's generally courteous to send an email notifying the applicant of the outcome. But most employers anymore don't do this.

Sorry.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:20 PM

305 posts, read 991,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Send a card? Like a condolences card? No, that's not courtesy. That's weird.

It's generally courteous to send an email notifying the applicant of the outcome. But most employers anymore don't do this.

Sorry.
My friend got a post card. Dont be sorry!!!!

Old 05-28-2011, 05:23 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Not *common* courtesy at all...
at least not without having gone through a few more preliminary vetting steps together.
At that point it might well be a personal note from them to you.

But doing something like that in the reverse would certainly set you apart from the others applicants.
Certainly if you have a specific name to address it to.

Probably set you apart enough to have YOUR resume actually filed for future review
(vs being $hit-canned like all the others)

Old 05-28-2011, 05:41 PM

531 posts, read 1,177,428 times
Quote:
Common Courtesy to send a card or call? Nah!

you might get an email if you are refused for a job. I would just move on if I didn't hear back within certain time.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
People used to hear back after they interviewed either way. Even an email thanking them for their time but they went with another candidate.

Takes a couple of minutes.

Of course that was back when people still said "excuse me" in a store or " Bless You" if you sneezed.

It is just part of the lack of manners and basic common courtesy in today's society.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:11 PM

96 posts, read 312,156 times
As a rough estimate, I think I've only received a notice that I was not selected for a position only about 20% of the time - and that includes positions where I went on second- and third-round interviews. I absolutely hate this and think it's horribly rude and inconsiderate, but it's now very common.

If you are waiting to hear back on a position you interviewed for, I would call them or send an email. Hopefully, they will be gracious enough to give you a response, but if they don't, just write that particular opportunity off.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
People used to hear back after they interviewed either way. Even an email thanking them for their time but they went with another candidate.

Takes a couple of minutes.

Of course that was back when people still said "excuse me" in a store or " Bless You" if you sneezed.

It is just part of the lack of manners and basic common courtesy in today's society.

But of course the applicant's are expected to respect and be courteous to them. Too bad some of the interviewers are too ill mannered to even be courteous. I wouldn't want to work for a place like that.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,400 times
Quote:
I would appreciate an email stating i didn't get the job. Most big companies send a generic email stating that did not feel the job match your skills or what have you. I went on a lot of interviews and only 1 called me back saying i didn't get the job. Recently, i got a job and which i accepted but i was still thinking about another that i went on an interview for; so i sent an email inquiring about the position and she stated that it has been filled. Geez!!!

Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,025 times
At my company if you are interviewed and not just "screened" by HR, you will receive an email that you were not the selected candidate. I do believe that HR will personally call those who were REALLY close (like maybe the second choice) because generally if the hiring manager really dithered then that second choice may come up as a desired candidate for a new position.

If you are just phone screened by HR for their preliminary questions and if HR decides to not move you forward, you are told right then and there that this is just not a fit and thank you.

Those who apply and were not selected will NOT get any kind of email, call that they were not selected. Nor do I think they should. We have TONS of applicants for our positions, but only a small percentage are actually qualified.

WHen we ask for say a Business Analyst with experience in HR/Payroll/Compensation/Benefits/HRIS sytems-- we mean that-- we don't care if you were a BA for a software company specializing in CAD software-- we actually have a reason for wanting to hire someone with the requested experience due to the complexity of that niche arena as well as all of the regulatory issues, etc. Sure you may be a phenomenal BA but we don't have the time to train you or bring you up to speed. However, those BAs who are not selected because they lack that experience would probably say that they were qualified but were never called *shrugs*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment