Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's sad when grown adults are paid a teenager wage. .
It's also sad when grown adults are not qualified for anything more than teenager wages...

There's no argument that there's a legitimate demand for low-pay, low-skill labour (aka "teenager wages") but whose fault is it, really, when an adult human is barely even qualified for low-pay, low-skill work? And if that adult has a family or children keeping them in one spot, or is too broke or encumbered to move away for better-paying work, how is that the fault of the system or of others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 05:22 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,800 times
But, lets say you are not capable of more than min-wage labor or unable to get a job that would match your skill level due the economic situation? So just because the best I can ever do is be a cashier, because I am not able to perform any higher position, I will have to live on $8?

I don't know, I guess i'm just wondering how people not capable of getting a college education due to mental limitations (not retardation etc), are able to survive...

Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
I did this as a project in high school. We where in pairs "roommates" who each had a minimum wage job, mind you minimum wage was $5.50 an hour at the time.

We made it work with no savings and sharing a car. And we live in Cleveland which has a very low COL. Also we only ate of the dollar menu at McDonalds. It was actually a really interesting, we had to look in the newspaper for apartments and jobs we where qualified for. Had to look for a used car. We even clipped coupons for items like toilet paper.

I agree that minimum wage is meant to be a "training wage". But depending on where you live you can make it work. Say you make $1000 a month. You have 3 roommates and you split the rent/take the bus/buy the store brand and keep your "fun" money to a minimum. Also living in an inexpensive city I think it could really work. It's when you need the new car/new phone/500 channels of cable/organic free range magical food/new clothes on a weekly basis that you can't survive. What you actually need to survive and what people feel entitled to to live a comfortable life are two completely different things.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 PM

29,813 posts, read 24,891,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
But, lets say you are not capable of more than min-wage labor or unable to get a job that would match your skill level due the economic situation? So just because the best I can ever do is be a cashier, because I am not able to perform any higher position, I will have to live on $8?

I don't know, I guess i'm just wondering how people not capable of getting a college education due to mental limitations (not retardation etc), are able to survive...
There used to be jobs for them that paid livable wages. Assembly, production jobs, warehouse and shipyard jobs... The haves decided to make them have nots. Keep buying from China!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post

Most people figure out what the poverty level is for the particular area where they live - and then seek assistance. As long as you qualify as being poverty level, you can get food stamps to help a bit with food (not much! but it helps!) and Medicaid. Also, figure out what Food Banks can help provide staples. Some folks who use the Food Banks help "give back" to the organization by volunteering - stocking shelves, packing up boxes, etc.

The other thing is to get a Section 8 voucher (rent subsidy). You dont have to live in the "projects" if you have a voucher - many landlords accept vouchers.

Many churches have weekly meals - such as on Wed nite - and they serve something like soup and sandwich - or spaghetti or chili - and charge a few dollars to eat there. A church can provide a wonderful support system - and provide a social structure, as well. Volunteering time to help with the meals is a way to tithe time to a church so a person is helping despite not being able to give $$$ in the collection plate!

A great way to save money on clothing is to shop at Thrift stores, Salvation Army stores, Goodwill, etc. Also, you can buy clothing off Ebay - brand names - and keep the cost under $15 for really nice items.

If you are a low wage earner, you have to be very smart about every penny you spend. You carry your lunch; you repair your clothing; you rent a video with friends rather than spending the $$ for a nite out.

It helps if you have a partner and can split expenses, such as rent. And some cities have a higher cost of living than others. You just have to weigh all this out and find the right area where resources and assistance are available, and stretch every dollar.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
It's also sad when grown adults are not qualified for anything more than teenager wages...

There's no argument that there's a legitimate demand for low-pay, low-skill labour (aka "teenager wages") but whose fault is it, really, when an adult human is barely even qualified for low-pay, low-skill work? And if that adult has a family or children keeping them in one spot, or is too broke or encumbered to move away for better-paying work, how is that the fault of the system or of others?
It depends on what you consider "qualified". There are people who devoted their life to professions that don't need them anymore. These people than become your cashiers, baggers, janitors, ect. It just goes to show that the "in" job of today may not be so hot down the road.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:39 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
Plenty of people to take the jobs at the lower wages. Kind of why they don't pay that well. Their is lots of opportunity at the top. The jobs that pay the best have fewer people fighting over them. Instead of trying to figure out how to make it on $8 or 10 an hour, why not make yourself worth more. No one owes anyone a job. I don't even like the idea of a minumum wage. Who says that someone is worth $8 an hour? Why should an employer have to pay anyone $8 an hour if they haven't proven themselves as worthy of that kind of pay? we live in a market economy and the market should determine the pay. For those that are prepaired they will have no problem. The majority though gets stuck fighting for a few jobs.

I know of one company that is growing like crazy. They offer to give you 25% of every sale that you make. The product sells from between $100 to $250 a sale. What a deal. Instead of wondering how you will make it on $8 an hour you could be making some real money. last year the company had $400 million in sales.

Lets say that you get a job paying $8 an hour. If you work full time that is $64 a day.

With the sales job you sell 3 programs and you have $75. Since you do everything online, in person, or by word of mouth who knows how many you can sell. The company states that their part timers are making $400 to $500 a week. That translates into 16 to 20 sales a week. No promises from me, I am only quoting what I read in the news. Also that is only one of dozens of companies out there willing to offer a similar opportunity, and no I am not talking network marketing.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Plenty of people to take the jobs at the lower wages. Kind of why they don't pay that well. Their is lots of opportunity at the top. The jobs that pay the best have fewer people fighting over them. Instead of trying to figure out how to make it on $8 or 10 an hour, why not make yourself worth more. No one owes anyone a job. I don't even like the idea of a minumum wage. Who says that someone is worth $8 an hour? Why should an employer have to pay anyone $8 an hour if they haven't proven themselves as worthy of that kind of pay? we live in a market economy and the market should determine the pay. For those that are prepaired they will have no problem. The majority though gets stuck fighting for a few jobs.

I know of one company that is growing like crazy. They offer to give you 25% of every sale that you make. The product sells from between $100 to $250 a sale. What a deal. Instead of wondering how you will make it on $8 an hour you could be making some real money. last year the company had $400 million in sales.

Lets say that you get a job paying $8 an hour. If you work full time that is $64 a day.

With the sales job you sell 3 programs and you have $75. Since you do everything online, in person, or by word of mouth who knows how many you can sell. The company states that their part timers are making $400 to $500 a week. That translates into 16 to 20 sales a week. No promises from me, I am only quoting what I read in the news. Also that is only one of dozens of companies out there willing to offer a similar opportunity, and no I am not talking network marketing.
Good salesman are among the best paid "workers". I use quotations because they more or less "work" for themselves. Having said that, not everyone is cut out of that kind of job. Those who do not do so well have no security of a wage. In this economy, I know a few salesman who made great money before, but are now on the verge of foreclosure because this economy just can't support them. In any profession, there are winners and losers, no getting around that, especially in a recession.

Take that $100 item. Now try to get me to buy it. Ain't gonna happen. I pay for rent, insurance, utilities, food, gas for my car and the rest of the basics. If your selling one of those, you can have my money. Anything else, I doubt I will be spending $100 on it. I'm far from broke, see how far you get with someone who IS broke. They can want it all they want, chances are they won't be able to finance your killer product line, or your 25% commission.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:36 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,726,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

..... AND in addition you are developing communication and presentation skills that can be leveraged into a better paying job with a different company later.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,202,574 times
Here is the budget I would use (note: I have kept track of my spending month-to-month for years now, and this is how I lived for a while. I wasn't living on minimum wage, but I wanted to buy my own home before my 24th birthday, so take this budget and add a substantial amount to savings and you have exactly what I did). This isn't LA, but it is a major city. Minimum wage here is $7.25/hr, so I am basing these numbers on that.

If I were making minimum wage, I would obviously work two jobs. I would try to work about 65 hrs/week. That is enough so you can still have time to relax/hang out a few nights every week.

65hrs/week, 50 weeks/year: $23,562/yr

Monthly after tax: $1,557
Rent: $300 (crappy apartment shared with two roommates)
Utilities: $150
Bus Pass: $95
Food: $300 (at home and eating out)
Cell Phone: $50
Internet: $75
Health Insurance: $120 (you have a high deductible, but you have it)
Misc. Spending: $120
Savings: $347

That is how I would do it if I were on minimum wage. Again - this was my exact budget for two years, except I made more and saved more. Everything else is 100% doable. If you were in a city like LA, you could save slightly less and pay up to $647/mo in rent. With a few roommates that is completely reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment