Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:29 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times

Advertisements

I have an aunt who has lived on minimum wage or just a couple of dollars above it for most of her adult life. She has a cheap crappy apartment, a roommate, and a beat up old Volvo.

It CAN be done, but you won't be living a comfortable lifestyle by any means.

Nonetheless, it's much better than what people in third world countries have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 03:54 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I have an aunt who has lived on minimum wage or just a couple of dollars above it for most of her adult life. She has a cheap crappy apartment, a roommate, and a beat up old Volvo.

It CAN be done, but you won't be living a comfortable lifestyle by any means.

Nonetheless, it's much better than what people in third world countries have.
Why should we be happy though that we have people living in crappy apartments in dangerous areas. It that what we really want our low income people to have as a standard? We should strive for people to become wealthier not head toward a third world country.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:00 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Spot on.

I guess it beats motivating people to improve their skills and knowledge so that they can be more marketable and, thus, earn more.

Harsh...but true.

No - the purpose of a job is to provide for an exchange of goods / services in which one party compensates another party for performance of a given task or function.
But in that it also is a source for people to live on so what I said is still true. That is why they have a min wage so companies would not exchange goods/service for little to nothing.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:54 PM

219 posts, read 439,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Why should we be happy though that we have people living in crappy apartments in dangerous areas. It that what we really want our low income people to have as a standard? We should strive for people to become wealthier not head toward a third world country.
Those are the wages of globalism, deflation and lower standards for everyone. I doubt the life of the average Chinese wage slave is much better even with all of the economic development in their country. That increased productivity and associated wealth is stolen by the Fortune 500 and Chinese government.

America can not compete against a government who locks up it's poor working class at night. These are the people making your ipads.

Beijing starts gating, locking poor villages - World news - Asia-Pacific - China - msnbc.com

Quote:
It's Beijing's latest effort to reduce rising crime often blamed on the millions of rural Chinese migrating to cities for work. The capital's Communist Party secretary wants the approach promoted citywide.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:07 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,614 times
How does one live on minimum wage? Well, by the skin of their teeth.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I did this as a project in high school. We where in pairs "roommates" who each had a minimum wage job, mind you minimum wage was $5.50 an hour at the time.

We made it work with no savings and sharing a car. And we live in Cleveland which has a very low COL. Also we only ate of the dollar menu at McDonalds. It was actually a really interesting, we had to look in the newspaper for apartments and jobs we where qualified for. Had to look for a used car. We even clipped coupons for items like toilet paper.

I agree that minimum wage is meant to be a "training wage". But depending on where you live you can make it work. Say you make $1000 a month. You have 3 roommates and you split the rent/take the bus/buy the store brand and keep your "fun" money to a minimum. Also living in an inexpensive city I think it could really work. It's when you need the new car/new phone/500 channels of cable/organic free range magical food/new clothes on a weekly basis that you can't survive. What you actually need to survive and what people feel entitled to to live a comfortable life are two completely different things.
I completely agree. Being in the middle or upper class makes you lose touch with reality and forget the meaning of the distinction between a need and a want.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Just wondering. I guess you can make it in Fla on $8 an hour, but im seeing that in LA for non-retail jobs also. What do they expect? How do you create loyalty? Thats just above poverty level...
Living in the Closet | NBC New York

monthly (If I had to live on that I would try to go as follows):

Take home pay $1000

Rent $150 - live in someone's closet
Food and Drink $220
Health Insurance $120
Household supplies $30
Clothing $10-20
Cell phone $50
Transportation $70 (bus pass)
Incidentals $50
Retirement savings $100
Unemployment emergency savings $100
Future job search expenses savings $80

An alternative method might involve dumpster hunting and diving, and would work as follows:

Take home pay $1050 ($1000 wages + $50 dumpster diving income)

Rent $400 (You have to look around really hard on craigslist, be patient, the right vacancy may not exist for 1-2 months, but at least you will have a bedroom!!)
Utilities $50 (conserve, conserve, conserve!!!)
Food and Drink $90 (Raw dough will work in place of bread, buy in bulk, grow what you can, add extra vegetable oil for calories. Not healthy, but you will survive as long as you throw in some milk, eggs, nuts, veggies on occasion. Eggs must be cooked to avoid undue salmonella risk)

Health Insurance $120
Supplies $30
Clothing $5 (Get what you can from dumpsters)
Cell phone $10 (prepaid only)
Cell phone depreciation $10
Transportation $20 (live where you can walk to work and shopping, use transit on occasion)
Incidentals $30 (Get secondhand and from dumpsters when possible, barter services with friends and family)
Retirement savings $100
Unemployment emergency savings $100
Future job search expenses savings $80
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment