Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:40 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,279,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
It's also sad when grown adults are not qualified for anything more than teenager wages...

There's no argument that there's a legitimate demand for low-pay, low-skill labour (aka "teenager wages") but whose fault is it, really, when an adult human is barely even qualified for low-pay, low-skill work? And if that adult has a family or children keeping them in one spot, or is too broke or encumbered to move away for better-paying work, how is that the fault of the system or of others?
Is it sad or is it just that some people do not have the same capabilities as other people do? How is it there fault when they do not have the brain power or money to get higher work. Hey I guess it is just easier to look down on these people and say it their own fault they have the jobs they do then actually find out why they do not get higher paying jobs. It is just plain ignorant and lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:11 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,854,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Just wondering. I guess you can make it in Fla on $8 an hour, but im seeing that in LA for non-retail jobs also. What do they expect? How do you create loyalty? Thats just above poverty level...
honest answer. You live without things people call essential. No cell phone, no cable, no home internet, used old car that hopefully a family member donated to you, you live in low rent area with trusted reliable friend. You don't go out partying, you buy food on sale with coupons and you DON't eat out unless someone else is buying. you make food items like a roast last a week. You don't have $$ habit like smoking, drinking, drugs etc.

Ya you are living close to poverty level, but it is do-able. VERY do-able if you are willing to live your life by true essentials only. In other words you live like people did during the great depression. You have a victory garden and grow many of your own food needs. Learn how to make your own soap, own shampoo etc. Also humble yourself to accept and sign up for food drives.

Also you go to college to educate yourself into a better job/career.

Living near poverty level isn't a dead-end job. Most of those type of jobs unless a small mom and pop place tend to want to keep employees who are willing to stay and quickly move them up into managing positions.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:44 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,386,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Which while may be an option for you may not be for everyone else.
Making more is an option for anyone. If you can't make more then you need to do your own thing. Forget working for others if that is all they are paying.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:23 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,180,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Is it sad or is it just that some people do not have the same capabilities as other people do? How is it there fault when they do not have the brain power or money to get higher work. Hey I guess it is just easier to look down on these people and say it their own fault they have the jobs they do then actually find out why they do not get higher paying jobs. It is just plain ignorant and lazy.
I didn't say anything about looking down on people who made minimum wage, nor did I imply those who do were ignorant and lazy.

I don't make a ton of money myself; I don't think less of people who make less than me, nor do I think highly of people who make more money than I do.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM

29,856 posts, read 24,975,730 times
Ya know, people used to be able to make a respectable living even if they were not that smart. I firmly believe we were all a little better off in those days... Now many are unemployed or not making much money, and we have to subsidize their living.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,753 times
stop piking on obama .under.. his administration I goy ssi, healtcare, fodsatamps and section 8 housing .I'm living better than when i was working. i will re-elect obama

Old 08-17-2011, 05:08 PM

29,856 posts, read 24,975,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioguy1316 View Post
stop piking on obama .under.. his administration I goy ssi, healtcare, fodsatamps and section 8 housing .I'm living better than when i was working. i will re-elect obama
Good to know where all my tax dollars are going

Old 08-17-2011, 07:13 PM

625 posts, read 3,638,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioguy1316 View Post
Stop trying to make this a political bashing thread. The man has been in office for less than 3 years. So you want me to believe he is the cause for this complete mess? Blame a government full of liars who hid a lot of b.s. and now are finally bringing things to light in order to shift blame to the current president. Funny how not once in the past 3 years have my television programs been interrupted with "Orange Alert" warnings. I call it putting the fear in a bunch of people too stupid to see they were being duped.While jobs were being shed like dog hair they wanted you to focus on terrorism. I graduated in 2007 and I noticed back in 2006 jobs were drying up and I was getting calls for a ton of temp work while local companies were quietly laying off and/or closing up shop. Good grief... On a side note: over 7 years spent "hunting the biggest threat to the great USofA" and yet our current president finds him where else but his home lmao

Old 08-17-2011, 07:19 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,361,257 times
Well said, Neekah!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:30 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,301,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
over 7 years spent "hunting the biggest threat to the great USofA" and yet our current president finds him where else but his home lmao
Not to change the subject or hijack the thread, but our president had absolutely nothing to do with finding Osama. To suggest he did undermines the great work of those who were actually responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment