Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 04:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,766,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes and going from $75 million to richest woman in the world is quite a feat.
It doesn't look to me like she's actually done anything to accumulate that wealth. To me she looks like an extreme example of luck.

Perhaps I just can't appreciate the hard work involved in inheriting gold and iron mines.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:55 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,640,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It doesn't look to me like she's actually done anything to accumulate that wealth. To me she looks like an extreme example of luck.

Perhaps I just can't appreciate the hard work involved in inheriting gold and iron mines.

Agreed.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:38 PM

3,938 posts, read 6,854,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
that small fraction was 75 million
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It's not very hard to double, triple, quadruple, etc. $75 million dollars, even if you have only rudimentary knowledge of how money works.

As the saying goes, it takes money to make money.
So you are saying you can do just as well as she did? She didn't even quadruple her money, she made enough money to make her inheritance seem like chump change. She inherited 0.00257% of her current wealth. Using your knowledge, if you inherited only $1,500 you could turn that into $582,000. Sureeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

She doesn't own only mines. In my other post I mentioned that she purchased multiple media companies which have become hugely successful as well. She is a smart businesswoman, as out of touch as she may be with reality.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:41 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,755,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
So you are saying you can do just as well as she did? She didn't even quadruple her money, she made enough money to make her inheritance seem like chump change. She inherited 0.00257% of her current wealth. Using your knowledge, if you inherited only $1,500 you could turn that into $582,000. Sureeeeee
So you don't know how money and finance works either then.

Lets use a savings bond for example. $75 Million at 1% interest over 20 year is an additional $15 Million dollars. Keep in mind I could also invest that money in all sorts of high-reward stocks and open my open high-margin business(es).

She also inherited a very successful mining business.

The more money you have, the more you can accumulate (common sense).

Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,694,158 times
Quote:

She doesn't own only mines. In my other post I mentioned that she purchased multiple media companies which have become hugely successful as well. She is a smart businesswoman, as out of touch as she may be with reality.
actually i'm saying her dad didn't give her chump change , he gave her 75 million which even if she quad the money or not, she would still be well off.. people are acting like she scraped by while her dad was living large.. 75 million is so much different than 1,500...

Old 09-12-2012, 09:20 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,279,660 times
This woman is a perfect example of what greed can do.

She inherited her money from her father, proceeded to sue the hell out of his wife so she could get every single penny.

She is currently involved in lawsuits with 3 or her 4 children to prevent them receiving their trust funds.

All these children are now adults and she wants to withhold their inheritances until they are into their middle age.

She is the meanest **** in Australia, if not the world, and her outside is as ugly as her insides.

She is unaustralian which is about the biggest insult you can sling here. She needs to leave our country, yesterday, and take her 1% ideas with her.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 PM

3,938 posts, read 6,854,326 times
Quote:

Lets use a savings bond for example. $75 Million at 1% interest over 20 year is an additional $15 Million dollars. Keep in mind I could also invest that money in all sorts of high-reward stocks and open my open high-margin business(es).

LOL. I know how money and finances work. She didn't accumulate billions and billions and billions of dollars by investing alone. Nothing in the world offers that good of returns. If you can find me something that offers 1,000,000%+ returns, please sign me up! She MADE her money, whether you want to admit it or not.

Also, you apparently haven't researched her fathers business because it was actually struggling at the time she inherited it. You could say she turned it around, or she got lucky, but she definitely didn't inherit a successful company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
actually i'm saying her dad didn't give her chump change , he gave her 75 million which even if she quad the money or not, she would still be well off.. people are acting like she scraped by while her dad was living large.. 75 million is so much different than 1,500...
quad the money? I have no clue what that means. I am not saying she scraped by. I am saying she has been a successful businesswoman. When did I ever say she was roughing it?

My whole point in arguing how much she inherited is to prove to you all that she earned her own billions. She was given a VERY small portion of what she currently has.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 PM

29,855 posts, read 24,964,297 times
Quote:

Please enlighten us as to what a "high-reward" stock is... Since such a thing doesn't exist, it won't be necessary. There are high risk investment vehicles including stocks. High risk can yield great returns, with opportunity of loosing the same, or all. Risk level is generally proportionate to potential returns... Or losses. There are no free rides to riches... Just envious people who would like to believe so.

As for a "high-margin" business... Go for it. You're in the perfect country to give it a try. How exactly do you plan to make it a "high margin" business when your competition is slashing prices to compete?

People do get rich through inheritance. She is certainly a good example. People don't get richer from that point on by accident, or through no effort of their own. The fact that so many lottery winners end up going broke throws a monkey wrench in your logic.

Her luck, combined with further effort and smart planning is what helped her cement her current standing.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:53 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,694,158 times
Quote:
LOL. I know how money and finances work. She didn't accumulate billions and billions and billions of dollars by investing alone. Nothing in the world offers that good of returns. If you can find me something that offers 1,000,000%+ returns, please sign me up! She MADE her money, whether you want to admit it or not.

Also, you apparently haven't researched her fathers business because it was actually struggling at the time she inherited it. You could say she turned it around, or she got lucky, but she definitely didn't inherit a successful company.

quad the money? I have no clue what that means. I am not saying she scraped by. I am saying she has been a successful businesswoman. When did I ever say she was roughing it?

My whole point in arguing how much she inherited is to prove to you all that she earned her own billions. She was given a VERY small portion of what she currently has.
Quadruple . Yes a small portion but 75 million is a lot of money period. Sure she could have quadrupled it or not and still been very rich . Verse someone who is given 1,500 who may not have enough opportunity to mess up or hire the best to help . I totally forgot the topic at hand arguing about this

Old 09-13-2012, 01:59 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,908,010 times
Let them eat cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment