Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:35 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,802,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If I were you I would even apply for jobs that you think are beneath you---if there are chances for advancement.

Like a bank teller position which can lead to climbing the ranks at a bank. And then sometimes they even pay for further training.
This is good advice too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:36 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,912,982 times
How about Peace Corps?

Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,152,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
What's wrong with moving to ND and taking a truck driving job in the oilfields?

He'd probably make double what he would at an entry-level job right out of college.
He will have to get his CDL before moving to ND. Many truckers are already in ND doing work. It would be hard to break into trucking during the winter on ice and snow packed roads. They will just look at the next guy that is unemployed but has been driving for years.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:45 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,860,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
He will have to get his CDL before moving to ND. Many truckers are already in ND doing work. It would be hard to break into trucking during the winter on ice and snow packed roads. They will just look at the next guy that is unemployed but has been driving for years.
Yeah, I guess a more realistic route would be to get a CDL and work for a couple of years for some crappy trucking company that will take anybody. Then after that, apply for the $$$ jobs in the oil fields.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:48 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,703,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
How mature. I can see now why you are still unemployed.
lol i knew that was going to be your comeback..typical you can leave now

Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,703,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
-retail management trainee
-federal, state, city job
-get an occupational certificate at your local community college
-fedex is hiring seasonal workers now

What are your interests? Where would you like to work? You could build a plan if you know exactly what kind of work you would like to be doing? Or do you just want a "Mcjob" to get by?
well i wanted to work in marketing , my major but i apply to all sorts of jobs, i really don't care anymore about what kinda of job it is.. the thing about state jobs here is that you take this test, then they put you on a list to when a job comes up, i'm certified in several areas still waiting for a job opening and its pointless in calling them because you already on the list to the first persons they will call when the job comes..which sounded like a good idea but sometimes i have taken a test a year ago and get a call back 1-2 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Don't waste your money with a 2nd degree; there are many people suffering with 2 degrees too and not getting jobs, look at this: We Are the 99 Percent

I don't know what kind of job a business degree will get you but try to be a manager somewhere. Or take some courses or self train on books on the stuff that will help you in your career.
totally forgot about that site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Where did you go to school? Where are you living in particular (i live in NJ).

Fact of the matter is you should have been able to find something after 2 years if you have a bachelors in business from a decent school. Market sucks, but something should have come up, particularly if you are willing to be flexible. I graduated in Dec 2010 with a business degree and have gotten 2 good jobs since.

You need to just get in somewhere at this point. Going back to school is not going to help the problem, and I am sure that you would have a bad feeling in your gut the entire time you are in school if you did that.

Just apply to a ton of jobs and be flexible. Have your resume done professionally. You should be able to find something
lsu which was one of the top 50 business schools in the country ..not that it matters..i live in new orleans..the land of no opportunity.. i always say on my resume i'm willing to relocate at my own cost but in this economy i don't think they care.. is jersey better? i know how to get around jersey city(as in it wouldn't be a difficult move)

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
What's wrong with moving to ND and taking a truck driving job in the oilfields?

He'd probably make double what he would at an entry-level job right out of college.
i'm a woman and a poor driver of cars so i'm sure with a big truck people will die lol

Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 PM

72 posts, read 225,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
lol i knew that was going to be your comeback..typical you can leave now
Actually I can do whatever I want, contrary to your desperate plea for power. I'm not the one who is unemployed. You were the one who decided to dump your personal baggage onto the world and ask for advice. I was asking relevant questions to a predicament that you asked for opinions on. Sorry if the reality of your situation was too much to handle and you'd rather just run away from all of the suggestions and inquiry of people who were trying to answer the question you posed. It seems likely that that tendency might also be a major factor in your employment status, but by all means, run away and refuse to listen. That's gotten you far. Let us know how it's going in the next 2 years.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:19 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,152,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
lsu which was one of the top 50 business schools in the country ..not that it matters..i live in new orleans..the land of no opportunity.. i always say on my resume i'm willing to relocate at my own cost but in this economy i don't think they care.. is jersey better? i know how to get around jersey city(as in it wouldn't be a difficult move)
Move to Houston. Dallas is also an option, but there are fewer degree holders in Houston.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,860,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Move to Houston. Dallas is also an option, but there are fewer degree holders in Houston.
I can attest to that. This place is absolutely covered in morons.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:41 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,181,187 times
there are crappy temp jobs who will hire almost anyone. you could do something like that, move up, and then spice up the position on your resume and use that to get something better. apple is also hiring at-home tech line ppl for 16-something an hour if you know a lot about apple products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment