Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,371,266 times

Advertisements

A resume is not a complete work history and is geared towards marketing yourself for a specific job. It is perfectly acceptable to leave it off you resume, especially if it has nothing to do with the job you are seeking. Very few civilian employers do in-depth background investigations, if they do anything at all. Now, if you apply for a job and they give you a thick application packet that states, "list every job you have held since you were 18 years old" you need to put it down. If they ask why you are no longer there, put down "not enough hours" and leave it at that.

Edit to add: You have a very cavalier attitude about this. You need to worry about being fired--it may be the one thing that keeps you from getting a job offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 AM

10,224 posts, read 19,279,216 times
Here's the story you should give if asked about this job: You weren't fired. You were laid off for lack of work. Saying "fired" usually implies "fired for cause", which makes employers nervous.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 AM

150 posts, read 306,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
A resume is not a complete work history and is geared towards marketing yourself for a specific job. It is perfectly acceptable to leave it off you resume, especially if it has nothing to do with the job you are seeking. Very few civilian employers do in-depth background investigations, if they do anything at all. Now, if you apply for a job and they give you a thick application packet that states, "list every job you have held since you were 18 years old" you need to put it down. If they ask why you are no longer there, put down "not enough hours" and leave it at that.

Edit to add: You have a very cavalier attitude about this. You need to worry about being fired--it may be the one thing that keeps you from getting a job offer.

Ok so in a situation where they say "were you ever asked to resign?" I could say no? That seems accurate to me considering nobody actually asked me to resign or ever said I was fired.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:35 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,734,849 times
I don't think I've heard of someone being so OVERLY honest when filling out an application these days lol

Old 11-08-2012, 02:44 PM

10,637 posts, read 12,196,201 times
Quote:
I don't think I've heard of someone being so OVERLY honest when filling out an application these days lol
He/she is a newbie...just starting out after school. In a few years he/she will know better

Old 11-08-2012, 03:32 PM

30,395 posts, read 23,862,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post

This.

From what I have learned from the peeps on good ol' CD, I no longer put every single job I've had down on a resume. The only time I put it down is if it's for a government job.

Case in point:

I have two jobs that have both offered me employment on the condition I pass a background check.

One is a private sector job, one is government.

Of course I have to put it for the government because they want to know every thing about you...I'm surprised they don't ask me for a menu of every meal I've eaten for the last 20 years.

Private sector, they don't even see it unless you tell them about it.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 PM

30,395 posts, read 23,862,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I used to be....until I found the Work and Employment forum on City Data.

You all have corrupted me!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,734,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I used to be....until I found the Work and Employment forum on City Data.

You all have corrupted me!
This place is awesome isn't it!? lol Before I joined here I had a bachelor's degree on my resume, now I have 3 phd's! haha just kidding, I haven't gone that extreme.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,026,118 times
Asked to resign is where they sit down and ASK you to resign.

I wouldn't even put the job down, it was two months and it was seasonal? So obviously nothing to do with your career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment