Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 05:01 PM

30,432 posts, read 23,889,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
TWIS how long were you unemployed if you don't mind my asking? I've been unemployed now 4.5 months.
I haven't really been, "unemployed" as much as I have been UNDERemployed. And for UNDERemployed, it's been a year and a half. Started to wonder if I would ever find a full time job again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
Unbelievable you have a government job. I've been applying to those for years in IT ( IN and OUT of my current state) can never get a foot in the door. Work at a base now but it would be nice not worrying about contract expiration.
I have two government jobs. One is Federal and I got that pretty easily last year. It's intermittent, by assignment, so while it pays well, it's not something I can say, "Ok, I am making x amount of dollars this month..." because it changes. I know my veterans status helped me.

The new one is a state job and again, I think the veterans status helped but also, my background helped...which, to be honest, was surprising to me. I have a lot to learn and hope I pass all of the tests I have to take at the end of December. If I don't, I'm done for so I have to pass them.

But this is not a glory filled job at all. This job has some dangers, some pretty disgusting things I will have to deal with and a whole lot more. But, if one works smart, one can reduce some of those dangers although there is no guarantee...but what else am I going to do? Be homeless? No way.

Private sector decided to blow me off for far too long so hey, I'll go government, they don't play b.s. games in HR like private sector does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,429,733 times
You got EXTREMELY lucky, I know plenty of people with vet status, spouse preference, experience, and education who have been trying for 10+ YEARS to get in the system. The system is rigged to begin with let alone competitive amount of people applying. Point is still a job in the government ( possibly the best place to be IMO) no matter what "dangers" or "disgusting things" right before the holidays at that.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
You got EXTREMELY lucky, I know plenty of people with vet status, spouse preference, experience, and education who have been trying for 10+ YEARS to get in the system. The system is rigged to begin with let alone competitive amount of people applying. Point is still a job in the government ( possibly the best place to be IMO) no matter what "dangers" or "disgusting things" right before the holidays at that.
No, I did not get "extremely" lucky. What I got was a massive load of experience and I passed many tests that others could not.

I got these jobs on my own merit, not luck.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:38 PM

Still stand by what I say.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Still stand by what I say.
Doesn't matter to me. I know what I did to earn my way in there, you aren't going to diminish anything. Feel free to think that, I know better.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM

Again still stand by what I say, could care less of what you think or not. Just voicing an opinion.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Again still stand by what I say, could care less of what you think or not. Just voicing an opinion.
Like wise. I know what I did, which is why I don't care about your opinion. But that's not how you presented it, at first. You said it like it was FACT, not opinion. And your so called fact is wrong, that's all there is to it. Stand by it all you want...it's based on false theories.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:30 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,858,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No, I did not get "extremely" lucky. What I got was a massive load of experience and I passed many tests that others could not.

I got these jobs on my own merit, not luck.
One makes one luck. A little luck on top helps...what is the old saw..

The harder I work - the luckier I get.

How goes the smoking battle. Be a shame to actually get the life long job and then the retirement and then die at 55 from the standard lung cancer...

And think about it. You will actually be able to walk up a hill at 10,000 feet again.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
One makes one luck. A little luck on top helps...what is the old saw..

The harder I work - the luckier I get.

How goes the smoking battle. Be a shame to actually get the life long job and then the retirement and then die at 55 from the standard lung cancer...

And think about it. You will actually be able to walk up a hill at 10,000 feet again.
The battle wages on. I'm not perfect in the fight but I'm doing a whole lot better than I thought I would do. But you can see that on the other thread.

As for, "one making their own luck"...yes. That is exactly right. It wasn't because of some random, luck of the draw, I MADE this happen and I will continue to make it happen.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,858,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The battle wages on. I'm not perfect in the fight but I'm doing a whole lot better than I thought I would do. But you can see that on the other thread.

As for, "one making their own luck"...yes. That is exactly right. It wasn't because of some random, luck of the draw, I MADE this happen and I will continue to make it happen.
CHARGE...

And congratulations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment