Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:07 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,365,436 times

Advertisements

To me it depends on the context of being "unsocial." If you work in an office with, let's say 10 other people and you say hello in the morning and occasionally chat, but refuse to make an appearance when everyone gathers to have birthday cake with a co-worker, or to have a baby shower for someone in the office, then that will be looked upon as odd. The reason for not showing up: "I have better things to do, this is a work environment..." etc. are silly since most managers attend these types of events. That type of refusal to socialize will likely achieve the opposite effect that the person is looking for, i.e., you won't be viewed as a dedicated, hard worker but more someone who is a stick in the mud or the office downer. It never killed anyone to pop in and say happy birthday or whatever for a minute or two and then go back to their desk if they have stuff to do or don't really want to stick around.

If it's a matter of a bunch of people spending every Tuesday morning talking for a half an hour about last night's sitcom antics, then it's perfectly reasonable to not participate if you have no interest in the conversation. If asked, a simple "I don't watch that program," will clearly demonstrate why you don't enter those conversations. Looking down with disdain on other people's conversation material is what usually turns people off to co-workers, not their non-participation in chats or quiet nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 09:44 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,703,755 times
No it's not. I don't talk to the people in the office unless it's for work reasons.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:21 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,096,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
No it's not. I don't talk to the people in the office unless it's for work reasons.

Well you are probably the one that everyone is pointing and laughing at during work hours. What you are doing is only ok if you are a BOSS with your own office.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well you are probably the one that everyone is pointing and laughing at during work hours. What you are doing is only ok if you are a BOSS with your own office.
I am the boss for the US branch lol. I'm the Chief Supervisor and the only people I answer to aren't in the US at all. I have to have video conferencing with them quite frequently.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 AM
FBJ

Quote:
I am the boss for the US branch lol. I'm the Chief Supervisor and the only people I answer to aren't in the US at all. I have to have video conferencing with them quite frequently.

Well you can't use your experience then because bosses don't have to talk to anyone unless it's work related. Other employees can't do that because they won't last long.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,820,202 times
I work in a very small hospital and you can't get away anywhere quiet. There's always someone in your face. I'd compare it to a huge family reunion and yes a lot of us are like family now having worked so close together for so many years. We have our issues, enemies, friends, and some shenanigans :0 You can't help but be social. Even the "quite ones" can't avoid it. I love working the holidays there. I have no family and I'd rather kill myself than spend time with the in-laws so my work family makes for better company. So does the time and a half. You won't be asked those 5 stupid questions but you won't be "quiet" anymore either.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Well you can't use your experience then because bosses don't have to talk to anyone unless it's work related. Other employees can't do that because they won't last long.
Actually I can because I wasn't always the boss and even then I am still not entirely isolated from my subordinates. I notice things. I notice that certain people just don't talk to the others (they have been working with the company for years). They aren't ridiculed. It's is what it is. I don't know what it is about you that wants them to be ridiculed or why you think it's wrong for someone to not talk to others. They are there to work not to make friends.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Actually I can because I wasn't always the boss and even then I am still not entirely isolated from my subordinates. I notice things. I notice that certain people just don't talk to the others (they have been working with the company for years). They aren't ridiculed. It's is what it is. I don't know what it is about you that wants them to be ridiculed or why you think it's wrong for someone to not talk to others. They are there to work not to make friends.

Because when you spend 8 hours at a place five days a week, not talking to anyone makes you look like

1. You are not happy working there
2. You don't like the people you work with
3. Not normal/Oddball

Old 11-11-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Because when you spend 8 hours at a place five days a week, not talking to anyone makes you look like

1. You are not happy working there
2. You don't like the people you work with
3. Not normal/Oddball
or......
4. He/She's not a talker.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:05 PM
FBJ

Quote:
or......
4. He/She's not a talker.

And that makes someone a WEIRDO. I have a brother like that who never ever says nothing when he is around his family during holidays which is why we are not close.

People who are not talkers are people I want to be around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment